Selectmen's Weekly Minutes

Listing of the Board of Selectmen's Weekly Meeting Minutes.  Click HERE to view list of posted Agendas

July 22, 2014

In Attendance:  Carol A. Francesconi, Robert S. Ciskowski, and Paul F. Astorino
Press:   The Courier

Robert read the meeting minutes of July 15, 2014. Carol made a motion to accept the minutes as read; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.

- Reported a change in the Veteran’s Agent position for the Town of Cheshire.  The new agent will be
Rosanne Frieri.  She can be reached at 499-9433.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
-  Peter will be out of town from August 23, 2014 to September 1, 2014.  Carol will speak to Rick Salvi regarding coverage.
- Specs on new truck should be ready next week.
- Will order study guides for hoisting licensing classes to be held in Amherst in September.  Mowing equipment can only be operated by employees who have a Hoisting License.
- Storm damage repairs continue; all roads are passable.

- Discussed the Water Meter employment opportunity with Francis Waterman.  Waterman noted that this is a new position.  He therefore does not know how long the process will take the first time around.  The position may be needed two or three times a year.  The employment posting will close on Tuesday, July 29, 2014.
- A letter of closure will be sent via Certified Mail to former Veteran’s Agent, Rebecca Litchfield. Evan Makrinikolas will be faxed a copy of the letter for State documentation.
- Visited 500 Notch Road with Selectmen Ciskowski on July 22, 20914 at 5:45pm.  They observed no violations.  The issue was due to the owner not filing the Order of Conditions with the Northern Berkshire Registry of Deeds.
- Scheduled a Hearing for August 12, 2014 for an NOI for Ron and Jayne DeAngelis at 7:30PM.
- Scheduled an Abbreviated NOI for Peter Filkins for July 29, 2014 at 7:30PM.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber
- Discussed the health retirement possible benefit for a former Cheshire Town Administrator.  Mark will be researching further as to how the accounting was derived at and what the Town of Clarksburg will be responsible for.  Mark will apprise the BOS as results are concluded when checking into other cities.
- Mark will be researching the best practices for hiring part time employees. Robert requested the investigation into liability insurance, automobile liability and how we look at Vendor’s.  Mark will report back to the BOS the best coverage for this position.  There is a State waiver for seasonal employees which when signed would make them ineligible for unemployment claims.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:   continued
- Reviewed the status of purchasing a surplus emergency generator from PA.  Mark will continue to follow up on a possible purchase.
- Reported that Fire Chief, Thomas Francesconi, is researching fire truck specs.  All fire truck committee members need time to review the specs before submitting a recommendation.
- A meeting will take place on Friday, July 25, 2014 at 9:30 at the North Adams City Hall.  This meeting will discuss the recent electric outages with National Grid representative.  Paul may be attending.
- Submitted copies of the Handbook on Fence Viewers.  A copy was handed to Ken Egnaczak.
- Mark noted that he has scanned the Town by laws and the Zoning by laws on the Cheshire website.
- Seeking a proclamation in support of NARHS which will be sent to the Governor.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:    No issues or concerns.

Chief of Police, Timothy Garner:   Submitted weekly report.

Reported a leaning tree between 83 and 93 Richardson Street.

COA, Karmen Field-Mitchell:
- Karmen reported that her dad donated an electric bed, a new wheelchair, walker and seat to the COA.
- A 32 inch TV was donated for the watching of movies and exercise programs.
- The Greylock Council was cancelled until October 2014.
- A Cheshire COA calendar is being worked on.  The theme is, “Old Time TV Favorites.”  Anyone wishing to participate should contact Karmen at the Cheshire Community Center.
- Project:  Cheshire Christmas post card tree for the Berkshire Museum Christmas Tree Show.
- Trip:  Clark Museum on August 8, 2014.  Lunch will be at the Misty Moonlight Restaurant.
- Waiting to receive a Permission Certificate to show movies at the center.

Resident, Deb McNeice, of 104 Church Street.  Ms. McNeice voiced a complaint regarding loud music.  The BOS suggested she call the Cheshire Police when the annoyance occurs.

Mail and Correspondence:
- Time Warner.
- Berkshire Regional Planning Commission.  Robert accepted the motion that he be the BRPC alternate member for Cheshire, 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.
- MassDOT.  ST 116 Savoy Road/Dry Brook.  Chapter 90 may be used for the purposes of correcting deficiencies.

Resident, Mr. William Moriarty:
- Questioned at what locations an individual can stand to solicit signatures.  Mr. Moriarty felt the signing of a petition does not have a political agenda and he should be able to get signatures by the Cheshire Transfer Station, etc.  The BOS did not agree.

Resident, Mrs. Eileen Quinn Tremblay:
- Questioned who regulates the signs in town.  Carol noted that the Cheshire Planning Board does.

Motioned to go into Executive Session to discuss Pending Litigation; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.
The 7pm meeting with not reconvene.
7:54 PM
Roll Call Taken:
Carol A. Francesconi, Yes; Robert S. Ciskowski, Yes; and Paul F. Astorino, Yes.

Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen Secretary

Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Paul F. Astorino,   Superintendent Of Buildings and Grounds


July 15, 2014 [PDF]

Documentation on research re: amending town bylaws [PDF]

July 8, 2014


In Attendance: Carol A. Francesconi, Robert S. Ciskowski, and Paul F. Astorino
Press: iBerkshire

Robert read the meeting minutes of the July 1, 2014. Carol made a motion to accept the minutes as read; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.

Resident, Steven LaFogg:
- Reported water damage to road below the reservoir and beaver dams breaking.  Trees are in the brook and if the trees get caught there may possibly be land washouts.  He has notified the Cheshire Water Department.
Additionally, he wanted it reported that he cleaned the trees down and property damage to his land.

Resident, John Tremblay:
- Reported that he was recording the meeting.

- Town of Savoy, “Thank you for the quick response” for the recent washouts.
- Attorney St. John is scheduled to meet with the BOS on Tuesday, July 15, 2014 to discuss the Dufour billing issue, and the Kattay property.
- Request received from Fred Balawender regarding stream clearing on Notch Road.  Peter recommended letting him go forward with the cleanup.
- Request to investigate received from DEP, Karen Hirschberger regarding 13 Wells Road.  An anonymous telephone call to the DEP stated that Mr. Warner was hauling in fill.  Carol made a site viewing and noted he hauled in a tractor which flattened down some of the ruts on his land.  Carol reported no issues.
- Checking into the status of Veteran’s Agents filing of claims.  In talking to other local reps they advised Carol that in some cases it can take up to one year before payments are made.  Carol is checking further into the status of Cheshire Veteran’s.
- Carol checked into the Dunstable website and noted that they used Virtual Town Hall website developers.
The BOS had checked into this a year ago and due to the costs decided against going further with their services.
- Read DOT letter regarding the solar stop sign requested at Lanesboro Road. The DOT will be installing “Stop Ahead” signs several hundred feet before Route 8 begins.  “Intersection Ahead” warning signs will be installed on Route 8 approaching Lanesboro.  Both changes will give motorist advance notice.  The crash history at the intersection did not justify installing a crash countermeasure like a solar powered flashing sign.
- With regret, the BOS accepted the resignation of Eileen W. Nutting from the Historical Commission.  A certificate will be designed to commemorate her 35 years of service.
- Noted that building permits will be going on the town website.

Resident, John Tremblay:
- Thanked Carol for looking into the option of using Virtual Town Hall.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:  On Vacation

Resident, Peter Filkins:
- Information needed to complete a NOI for using machinery near water.  Carole H. will give a copy of a similar project to Mr. Filkins on Friday, July 11, 2014 at the Annex.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:   
- Submitted carryovers.  When Christine spoke to the Advisory Board regarding her salary, she wanted it noted that she receives no insurance and she has accumulated 312 hour of compensation time for election management and that she doesn’t charge the full pay rate.  Paul stated that her information will be considered next year.

Resident, John Tremblay:
- Discussed the space in the vault, the reorganization of files, and the possibility of having shelving installed.  Christine
will be showing  Mr. Tremblay a view of how records are stored and the need for space in general.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Continuing to work on washouts.
- Working on Sandmill Road
- Will be patching pot holes – dependent on the weather.
- Pipe not in on Daniels Terrace.
- Reported two more days of storms coming.
- Working on truck specs.  Truck would be in possibly in March or April.

- Two (2) applications received for the position of part time water meter reader. (Mr. Lucas and Mr. Witherell.)
Schedule an appointment for Mr. Witherelle for 7:15 on July 15, 2014 with the BOS.

- Will be asking Mark for an update on the Kattay house on Depot that was taken for tax title.  Steve LaFogg is interested in bidding on the property.

- Requested the notice of the Town website placed on the Fire House sign.
- Glad to see state “No Parking” signs at the Whitney Farm Market for traffic safety.

Resident, Mrs. Maureen J. Riley- Moriarty:
- Suggested the Cheshire Police Department post a Police Blotter to advise residents of criminal activity happening in their neighborhoods.  Carol reminded those present that the town presently does not have a full time officer.  It was suggested that a call to the Police Department was appropriate if a resident was feeling uncomfortable or unsafe.

Chief of Police, Timothy Garner:   Submitted weekly report.
- Addressed the question regarding a Police Blotter.  The Cheshire Police Department has a Facebook site for residents to check .
- Request submitted for a new Police Department garage door.  BOS Approved.
- Engine blown on the 2013 Explorer; under warranty.

Resident, John Tremblay:
- Suggested the town develop a long range master plan for the Town of Cheshire.  Carol noted that the Cheshire Planning Board is working on that project.

Mail and Correspondence:
- Time Warner.

With all business finalized, Carol made a motion to close the meeting; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.

Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen Secretary


Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman

Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk

Paul F. Astorino, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds

July 1, 2014

In Attendance:  Carol A. Francesconi, Robert S. Ciskowski, and Paul F. Astorino
Press:   iBerkshire and the Courier

Bob read the meeting minutes of the June 24, 2014. Paul made a motion to accept the minutes with the addition of 64’ from the high water mark; 2nd by Rob with a unanimous vote taken.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:  On Vacation

Carole H.:  Reported that Mr. Fred Jajko will be our representative on the Mohawk Trail Woodlands Partnership Advisory Committee.

Emergency Management, Corey  Swistak:
- Updated the BOS on the Route 116 and Windsor Road washouts (5”of rain) on Wednesday,
June 25, 2014.
- Thanked Peter and his crew for their rapid response.  Windsor Road should be finished by Thursday and open to the public.  Water was flowing over the road and it was compounded by a beaver dam letting go upstream.  The hole was approximately 80 feet long by 30 feet wide and 27 foot deep hole.
- Route 116 between Henry Wood Road and Fales Road was scheduled to reopen by 10pm Thursday.
Heavy rains there caused a six foot culvert to be washed out.
Corey noted that all reports have been completed for the State.
Carol thanked Peter and the crew for their efforts and asked about the Causeway.  Peter said there is a area that needs to be cut out and replaced.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Addressed the immediate needs of Route 116 and Windsor Roads.
- Completed necessary paperwork for washed out roads.
- Cleaned debris and stones from gravel driveways that washed onto Ingalls Road.
- Trucks have been hauling gravel for the road washouts.
- No response from Army Core of Engineers.  National Heritage and the DEP responded with the help of satellite photographs.
- Would like to carry over all accounts including stream cleaning.
- Flooding on Yorkshire and Devonshire.  Center of Town flooding worse Peter has seen in 15-20 years.
- Streams were up to the top and decreased very fast.
- Peter could have used the trailer for carrying cones and signs to the washed out areas.
(Carole H. will remind Mark about the trailer when he returns from vacation.)

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:   
- Carry Over; Election Voting Machine $8K to $9K.  Cards have to go out to get loaded at a cost of $1,200.  This is for State or Federal elections.  Carry Over; books, envelopes and binders.

Cheshire Board of Selectmen    July 1, 2014   Page 2

Water Department, Francis Waterman:
- Discussed the Enterprise Account.  2014 books will close the third week in July and the Enterprise system will be activated.
- Received two applications for the position of:  Meter Reader.  The position will be active two times a year most likely in July and January.
- Briefly discussed that Mr. Waterman will be talking with Becky Herzog regarding loans.

BOS, Robert:
- Informed the BOS that at the spillway of the Hoosac Dam, there is debris which is impeding the water flow.  Robert is willing to clean it.  The BOS thanked him for doing so.
- Asked Peter who the contractor was for Route 116.  Peter answered:  Maximillian.

Resident, John Tremblay:
- Requested the BOS to research if Zoning By Laws override Town By Laws. (Attorney St. John will be asked.)
- Asked the BOS to check out the website of the Town of Dunstable. 
- Inquired about trash around town and the possibility of trash receptacles placed around town.
Peter related such an attempt and the garbage, dirty diapers that the employees had to clean up. Two boxes were at the cheese presses three years ago.  Mr. Tremblay suggested establishing a project for Earth Day.
- Questioned the prospect of having summer concerts around the Town Hall area and possibly closing the area to traffic.  The BOS suggested he speak with the Chief of Police regarding the traffic and then return to the BOS with a proposal.

Resident, Mr.  Moriarty:
- Questioned if the State is responsible for the beaver damage in the recent washout.

Chief of Police, Timothy Garner:   Submitted weekly report.

Mail and Correspondence:
With all business finalized, Carol made a motion to close the open meeting; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.

Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen Secretary


Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman

Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk

Paul F. Astorino, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds

June 24, 2014

In Attendance: Carol A. Francesconi, Robert S. Ciskowski, and Paul F. Astorino
Press: Phil Demers

Bob read the meeting minutes of the June 17, 2014. Paul made a motion to accept the minutes as read; 2nd by Rob with a unanimous vote taken.

- Signed building permit for Zieminski property at 920 Sandmill Road (a site visit took place.)  It was noted that the distance was sixty-four (64) feet from the high water mark.)
- Signed building permit for S. Griffin to remove and install a new pool liner.

- Noted request from the BRTA to trim a tree on School Street as a bus hit the branch and it has caused damage to the bus.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Working with NeoNet to solve computer issues.
- Noted that the Town Clerk’s computer files crashed.
- Requested prevailing wage rates from the State for three (3) projects;  guardrail repairs on Windsor Road; paving project on Windsor and Wells Roads and; miscellaneous water main repairs for the water department.
- Reviewed and submitted forms for the annual renewal of the Town’s insurance:  Officer’s Liability; police and fire accident; worker’s comp and property and casualty for Town vehicles and buildings.  Rates will be unchanged from current year.
- Met with Lynne regarding Dufour/McCann transportation billing issue.  Called and spoke with Superintendent James Brosnan.  He stated that Dufour overbilled us and we should contact town counsel to seek a resolution.  Checking with Lanesboro to see what their experience was with Dufour.
- Mike Biagini requested that the highway department employment contract be amended to include payment for required licenses, continuing education and medical tests not covered through normal insurance.  He said to Mark that these items had been discussed with the Board.  The amendment to the contract at the end which read under Continuing Education and Required Medical Tests”

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:   continued
was submitted to the BOS for signage.  The BOS discussed the amendment and did not feel it was appropriate.  The amendment was tabled.  After continued discussion, Carol made a motion to allow the amendment to read, “Town shall pay full cost of all continuing education, and medical tests (not covered through employee health insurance) necessary for the carrying out of normal Highway Department duties.” 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.
- Annual audit is forthcoming.  Management report will be emailed by the end of this week.  They will be forwarded to Becky as Standard and Poors is waiting on it in order to update the Town’s bond rating.
- No news from the AFG awards.
- Gave BRTA drug testing note to Carole H. Need to submit list of COA drivers for random testing.
- Heard from reporter, Shea Garner, regarding documentation related to the Pine Valley lawsuit.
- Reviewing the BRTA van renewal contract.  Mark requested required certificates of insurance from MIIA.  We have until July 31, 2014 to return the contract.
- On vacation.  Three (3) hours away in case of an emergency.
- Reported that after July 1, 2014 computer backup will be in place. Mr. Scholz and Mr. Tremblay offered various options.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Everything is going along smoothly.
- Vacation schedule in place.

Resident, Richard E. Scholz, requested copies of all BOS minutes after April 1, 2014.

Owner, Cheshire Liquor Center, Mr. Petell:
Inquired if the Dollar General store submitted an application for a liquor license.  Carol informed Mr. Petell that the BOS has received no application for a liquor license from Dollar General. Carol also stated that there is a church close to property in question and it would not be allowed due to the close proximity to a church property which is not be allowed according to the Alcoholic Beverage Commission rules.

Resident, John Tremblay, asked Mark if he had spoken to Bill Craig.  Mark assured Mr. Tremblay that he is constant contact with Mr. Craig. (School budget.)
- Submitted a schedule of high school personnel salaries.

Carol read the June 24, 2014 Debt Exclusion vote outcome:  “Shall the Town of Cheshire be allowed to exempt from the provisions of Proposition two and one-half, so called, the amounts required to pay for the bond issued in order to purchase a new model GVW 41,000 pounds dump truck and related equipment for use by the Cheshire Highway Department”?
Results:     Yes   112      No  59     Blank  1

Question Two:
“Shall the Town of Cheshire be allowed to exempt from the provisions of Proposition two and one-half, so called, the amounts required to pay for the bond issued in order to purchase a new model year Pumper Vehicle for use by the Cheshire Fire Department:?
Results:     Yes  102      No   69      Blank 1

Carol stated for both trucks it will cost 22 cents per thousand for taxpayers and it will be on the 2016 budget.

Mark stated that the fire truck will be paid off in five years and he is hopeful to be receiving a partial grant of possibly $50k.

Mr. William Moriarty of Notch Road:
- Wanted to discuss the possible building of a Dollar General Store in Cheshire.

Resident, Mrs. Maureen Riley-Moriarty of Notch Road:
Questioned if the meeting minutes were tape recorded and or videoed.  Answer no.
Carol stated that the room is too small for video cameras and the BOS feels residents appreciate the fact that they can get all of their business done in one building and on one night.  The Community Center was suggested.

Resident, Richard E. Scholz, Stafford Hill Road:
- Would like to see Old and New Business as part of the meeting minutes.  He held up two years of copied BOS meeting minutes and stated, “I don’t know anything that’s going on with these.”  Carol reminded Mr. Scholz, as in previous meetings, “The meeting is according Roberts Rule’s of Order, and the minutes have satisfied the Attorney General, lawsuits, and the court of law.”  Any suggestions will be taken under advisement.
- Would like to see a Contact page on the website.

Mrs. Moriarty Riley-Moriarty:
Questioned the BOS on the information in the Berkshire Eagle and Mr. Pettel’s statements and why the Dollar General store was being pushed on the town. Mrs. Riley-Moriarty said she had spoken to Scott at The Berkshire Eagle and was glad to see present, a reporter, Phil Demars.

The Inn was taken for back taxes.  No liquor license has been submitted, no building permit application has been received.  The property has not been sold and until the property is sold nothing can be done.  The DOT is doing a traffic study

Resident, John Tremblay, Church Street:
- Mr. Tremblay stated that, “ Peter Krutiak owns the property and if Gerry Garner is working with Dollar General, that information is public record and all should be able to view them – the plans.”
- “Does the Town know more than the townspeople?”  Carol:  “No.”
- John stated that, “We want to know what is happening.”


Resident, Business Owner, Mr. Petell:
- He said he read on iberkshires that construction was starting in September or August.  Carol repeated that no application has been submitted.

Gerry Garner, Building Inspector was called to the meeting.  He stated, “I have received no submittal from the Dollar General Store representatives.”
- He did speak with the representatives about the facade, a drainage detention base, and scrubs initially
with a Mr. Gage. He will not know about the plans until they are submitted to him.

Mrs. Riley-Moriarty:
- “Could they meet with the town?”

John Tremblay: 
- Mr. Tremblay stated, “This is very frustrating.”  He asked Gerry how the townspeople could meet with the developer.”

Gerry stated, “Contact Dollar General.”

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:    No issues or concerns.

Chief of Police, Timothy Garner:   Submitted weekly report.

Mail and Correspondence:
- Time Warner.
- Carole H. will call Fred Jajko regarding the BRPC request for a designated representative for the Mohawk Trail Woodlands Partnership Advisory Committee.

8:17 PM
With all business finalized, Carol made a motion to close the open meeting; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.

Respectfully Submitted,


Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen Secretary

[PDF] Wireless Antennas

Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman

Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk

Paul F. Astorino, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds

June 17, 2014

In Attendance:  Carol A. Francesconi, Robert S. Ciskowski, and Paul F. Astorino

Bob read the meeting minutes of the June 10, 2014 meeting. Paul made a motion to accept the minutes; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken.

Cheshire Planning Board, Charles M. Howard, Jr., Chairman:
- Discussed Article 23.  The Planning Board wanted to make an amendment to Article 23 at a Special Town Meeting but was advised by Carol that it needed to go to a Annual Town Meeting according to the Cheshire By-Laws not the Cheshire Zoning By-Laws. 
- Charlie thanked Steve Marko for his presentation at the Annual Town Meeting for the three (3) solar by-laws proposed in his absence.  Additionally, he thanked the by-law committee for its work over the past couple of months.
- Paul suggested that the Planning Board continue to work on their review of the by-laws and continue to suggest changes.
- Stated that there should be a committee that included members from the whole town. She suggested having a new committee formed.
- Charlie requested a copy of the Cheshire Town By-Laws.
- The Cheshire Planning Board will be changing its meeting night from Wednesday back to Monday evenings at 7pm in the Town Annex.

Resident, John Tremblay:
- Wants dialogue regarding the proposed business on the Route 8 corner of Cheshire.

Planning Board Member, Daniel Speth:
- Thanked Carol and Paul for their solar by-law support at the Annual Meeting.  He thanked resident, Mr. Scholz, in his support of by-laws and noted that the committee had worked with the Berkshire Regional Planning Commission and that the individual in the audience who stated a template was used was totally incorrect.


Cheshire Board of Selectmen   June 17, 2014   Page 2

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Questioned about the traffic concerns if the proposed business is built on the corner of Rt. 8.
Peter’s opinion was that the DOT will pass the project.
- Purchasing a pressure washer (Town Roads and Bridges Account) for $5,795  and a Roller from the (Blacktop Account.) 
- Clearing brush and chipping on Furnace Hill.

COA, Karmen Field-Mitchell:
- Cleaned the Cheshire Community Center on Memorial Day. 
- Submitted the Elder Services Nutrition Program Congregate Meal Site Evaluation Form.
The form noted: “No corrections needed – Great Job-very clean, very organized, good happy atmosphere.”

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Submitted additional information for the Fire Grant for air packs.
- Met MEMA (Bruce) regarding two (2) grants July 1, 2014; $1,900 and October $2,400 for Police, Fire, and Highway.
- MMA personnel/salary survey.  If you participate you are then able to see all of the surveys.
- George Sweet, Wire Inspector submitted the following updated fees:
From $0 to $2,000    Fee:   $50.00
From @2,001 to $4,000    $75.00
From $4,001 to $8,000    $100.00
From $8,001 to $10,000    $125.00
$10,001 and above (per thousand)   $25.00
Re-inspection fee:  $15.00 per visit.
- Discussed the Solar Stop Sign for Lanesborough Road.
- Carol will be calling the Veteran’s Agent to discuss lack of communication and assistance for local Veterans.

Water Department, Francis Waterman:
- Discussed the approval from MASSDOT for a water main on 12 South Street.
Presently there is a 4 (four) inch pipe and it will be replaced with an eight (8) inch pipe going to the Cheshire Fire Department.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:    Attending a conference.

Chief of Police, Timothy Garner:   Submitted weekly report.
- Introduced Corey Demary of 299 West Mountain Road, Cheshire, MA who recently graduated from the academy to be hired as a part time officer.  There will be a ninety (90) day employment review.
Carol motioned to appoint Corey Demary as a part time officer with a ninety (90) employment review; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.

Cheshire Board of Selectmen    June 17, 2014   Page 3

Mail and Correspondence:
- Letter from Lynch Scrimo Attorneys regarding Mr. and Mrs. Gary Trudeau and the findings of processed street sweeping in violation of the Massachusetts solid waste regulation and the wetland protection act at 595 Outlook Avenue, Cheshire, MA.  Lynch Scrimo Attorney’s requested copies of all documents, correspondence, notes, communications and plans that support the Commission’s Enforcement Order dated May 20, 2014. The original Cease and Desist is dated November 08, 2011.
( Gerry Garner stated the Trudeau case is going forward and that Brent Field has photographs and videos to support the issue.)
- 2014 Special Use Permit Application for Summer Events:  Western Mass Bass on July 12, 2014.
-Employment Application received from Paul Lucas.

Robert:  Motioned to publish the Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes in a timely fashion on the Town’s website; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.  (Minutes will be emailed to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. after approved by the Board of Selectmen.
- Requested the liability be checked with Attorney St. John regarding people at the transfer station cutting wood.

- Motioned to accept Peter’s contract for 2014-2015; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken. (2.5% increase.)

Resident E. Richard Scholz:
- Questioned why there is a nine (9%) increase yearly in the school budget and is anyone checking on this?
- Carol assured Mr. Scholz that during the year, the Advisory Board attends all budgetary meetings, is in contact with the school committee, the Superintendent of Schools, and the Board of Selectmen in an effort to work with a bare bones budget.  He suggested more citizens get involved with the happenings in the town.

8:13 PM
With all business finalized, Carol made a motion to close the open meeting; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.

Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand
Board of Selectmen Secretary


Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman

Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk

Paul F. Astorino, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds