June 17, 2014
In Attendance: Carol A. Francesconi, Robert S. Ciskowski, and Paul F. Astorino
Bob read the meeting minutes of the June 10, 2014 meeting. Paul made a motion to accept the minutes; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken.
Cheshire Planning Board, Charles M. Howard, Jr., Chairman:
- Discussed Article 23. The Planning Board wanted to make an amendment to Article 23 at a Special Town Meeting but was advised by Carol that it needed to go to a Annual Town Meeting according to the Cheshire By-Laws not the Cheshire Zoning By-Laws.
- Charlie thanked Steve Marko for his presentation at the Annual Town Meeting for the three (3) solar by-laws proposed in his absence. Additionally, he thanked the by-law committee for its work over the past couple of months.
- Paul suggested that the Planning Board continue to work on their review of the by-laws and continue to suggest changes.
- Stated that there should be a committee that included members from the whole town. She suggested having a new committee formed.
- Charlie requested a copy of the Cheshire Town By-Laws.
- The Cheshire Planning Board will be changing its meeting night from Wednesday back to Monday evenings at 7pm in the Town Annex.
Resident, John Tremblay:
- Wants dialogue regarding the proposed business on the Route 8 corner of Cheshire.
Planning Board Member, Daniel Speth:
- Thanked Carol and Paul for their solar by-law support at the Annual Meeting. He thanked resident, Mr. Scholz, in his support of by-laws and noted that the committee had worked with the Berkshire Regional Planning Commission and that the individual in the audience who stated a template was used was totally incorrect.
Cheshire Board of Selectmen June 17, 2014 Page 2
Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre:
- Questioned about the traffic concerns if the proposed business is built on the corner of Rt. 8.
Peter’s opinion was that the DOT will pass the project.
- Purchasing a pressure washer (Town Roads and Bridges Account) for $5,795 and a Roller from the (Blacktop Account.)
- Clearing brush and chipping on Furnace Hill.
COA, Karmen Field-Mitchell:
- Cleaned the Cheshire Community Center on Memorial Day.
- Submitted the Elder Services Nutrition Program Congregate Meal Site Evaluation Form.
The form noted: “No corrections needed – Great Job-very clean, very organized, good happy atmosphere.”
Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Submitted additional information for the Fire Grant for air packs.
- Met MEMA (Bruce) regarding two (2) grants July 1, 2014; $1,900 and October $2,400 for Police, Fire, and Highway.
- MMA personnel/salary survey. If you participate you are then able to see all of the surveys.
- George Sweet, Wire Inspector submitted the following updated fees:
From $0 to $2,000 Fee: $50.00
From @2,001 to $4,000 $75.00
From $4,001 to $8,000 $100.00
From $8,001 to $10,000 $125.00
$10,001 and above (per thousand) $25.00
Re-inspection fee: $15.00 per visit.
- Discussed the Solar Stop Sign for Lanesborough Road.
- Carol will be calling the Veteran’s Agent to discuss lack of communication and assistance for local Veterans.
Water Department, Francis Waterman:
- Discussed the approval from MASSDOT for a water main on 12 South Street.
Presently there is a 4 (four) inch pipe and it will be replaced with an eight (8) inch pipe going to the Cheshire Fire Department.
Town Clerk, Christine Emerson: Attending a conference.
Chief of Police, Timothy Garner: Submitted weekly report.
- Introduced Corey Demary of 299 West Mountain Road, Cheshire, MA who recently graduated from the academy to be hired as a part time officer. There will be a ninety (90) day employment review.
Carol motioned to appoint Corey Demary as a part time officer with a ninety (90) employment review; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.
Cheshire Board of Selectmen June 17, 2014 Page 3
Mail and Correspondence:
- Letter from Lynch Scrimo Attorneys regarding Mr. and Mrs. Gary Trudeau and the findings of processed street sweeping in violation of the Massachusetts solid waste regulation and the wetland protection act at 595 Outlook Avenue, Cheshire, MA. Lynch Scrimo Attorney’s requested copies of all documents, correspondence, notes, communications and plans that support the Commission’s Enforcement Order dated May 20, 2014. The original Cease and Desist is dated November 08, 2011.
( Gerry Garner stated the Trudeau case is going forward and that Brent Field has photographs and videos to support the issue.)
- 2014 Special Use Permit Application for Summer Events: Western Mass Bass on July 12, 2014.
-Employment Application received from Paul Lucas.
- Requested the liability be checked with Attorney St. John regarding people at the transfer station cutting wood.
- Motioned to accept Peter’s contract for 2014-2015; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken. (2.5% increase.)
Resident E. Richard Scholz:
- Questioned why there is a nine (9%) increase yearly in the school budget and is anyone checking on this?
- Carol assured Mr. Scholz that during the year, the Advisory Board attends all budgetary meetings, is in contact with the school committee, the Superintendent of Schools, and the Board of Selectmen in an effort to work with a bare bones budget. He suggested more citizens get involved with the happenings in the town.
With all business finalized, Carol made a motion to close the open meeting; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.
Carole A. Hilderbrand
Board of Selectmen Secretary
Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Paul F. Astorino, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds