August 26, 2014
In Attendance: Carol A. Francesconi, Robert S. Ciskowski, and Paul F. Astorino
Press: The Courier and iBerkshires
Robert read the meeting minutes of August 19, 2014. Paul made a motion to accept the minutes as amended 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.
Paul is out of town for two weeks.
- Becky Herzog met with new Veteran’s Agent, Rosanne Frieri. A letter will be written to the state for back payments of $15,059.71.
- Signed building permit (CCC) for a lean to for Teddy Jayko.
- Had received a telephone call from Teddy Jayko regarding cattle crossing on Town Roads. Mr. Jayko reported people blowing their horns and getting too close to the cattle to move them along. He would like installed speed zone, line painting, and to have the no passing zone to end sooner than it does now. Additionally, he wanted to know who sets speed limits. The BOS will discuss this matter with the Chief of Police.
Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: On vacation.
Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Carol motioned to have a position of Special Town Employee for a Conservation Agent; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken. Mark had spoken to Emily Stockman in this regard and she would be willing to work on conservation projects in the future.
- Discussed with the Fire Chief HGAC approved status for purchasing the fire truck. The truck will be delivered in approximately 8.5 months for $450K and will be in the color red. The BOS signed the contract. No payment will be made until the truck is delivered. Two individuals will be flown to Florida for the final inspection.
- Instructed Fire Chief to order air packs and accompanying equipment.
- The Federal Audit was filed and accepted. (Water Department.)
- Housing Court date for the Kittay property will take place on September 10, 2014 at 9am.
- Working on transportation for the generators. May take place 9/3/14 or 9/4/14 by Scotty Grant Trucking.
- Sent in advertisement for the Tax Classification hearing for 9/9/14 at 7pm.
CCC 7:45PM Continuation Hearing opened for: Ron and Jayne DeAngelis, West Mountain Road:
- Further discussion with a site visit made. Carol motioned to issue an Order of Conditions Ron and Jayne DeAngelis for 6 West Mountain Road, Cheshire with the following conditions; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken. Jeff Randall of Hill Engineering clarified all questions asked by the BOS and the DEP.
“Pads for installation of open bottom box culvert shall be installed from the road side with no stream crossing involved. Placements of pins to designate borders of non-disturbance area shall be placed according to plan submitted.”
- A driveway permit was issued by Peter LeFebvre. The driveway was the only concern of the CCC.
Attorney Bill Solomon: FCC requires:
Carol motioned the following:
Cable TV Votes:
1. Motion: I move to consent to the subject transfer of control of the Cable Television Renewal License held by Time Warner Northeast LLC from Time Warner Inc. to Comcast Corporation as set out in the FCC form 394 submitted by the parties. 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.
2. Motion: I move to authorize the Board of Selectmen Chair, with the assistance of Special Cable Counsel, to write and send to the Department of Telecommunications and Cable a decision/consent document setting out the factual and legal basis and any other related matters regarding said transfer of control, including the effective date thereof. 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.
Town Clerk, Christine Emerson: BOS signed the Warrant for the Primary Election on September 9, 2014.
Chief Garner: Submitted weekly report.
- BOS discussed who sets speed limits. The Chief responded that the State does.
- Waiting for a response from Attorney St. John III regarding 501(c)3 status with the Police Department.
7:00PM Bid Opening:
2015 45,000 GVW, 2-wheel drive, all-seasons dump truck with plow and sander. The following bids were received:
1. Patriot Freightliner, Western Star LLC, Westminster, VT 05158 $175.882
2. Delurey Sales and Service Inc., North Hoosick, NY 12133 (-$2,500 1999 trade in) $166,325
3. Ballard Mack, Worcester, MA 01604 $174,444
Paul motioned to table the bids until Peter’s return and a recommendation can be made; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken.
7:30PM Bid Opening:
Purpose: Resurfacing approximately 4,000 ft. of Wells Road and approximately 3,900 ft. of Windsor Road.
1. Lane Construction, Lenoxdale, MA $217,920
2. LB Corporation General Contractors, Lee, MA 01238 $179,280
3. DelSigore Blacktop Paving, Inc., Troy, NY 12180 $173,400
Carol motioned to take the bids under advisement until Peter can review and make a recommendation; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.
Mail and Correspondence:
- MASS DOT: Notch Road/South Brook; Bridge Rating and posting for Bridge No: C-10-018. No posting required for this bridge.
- Time Warner. Correct franchise fee check received in the amount of $4,948.24.
Carol motioned to waive the fee for the ZBA in regard to the bus shelter hearing; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.
- After reviewing applications received for the Water Department’s Meter Reading position, the BOS recommended the hiring of Sherry Biasin to the Water Department noting that Ms. Biasin has the $1,200 - $1,500 Liability Insurance for the coverage required. This would be a yearly appointment and is valid until May 2015.
- Carol requested Mark to submit Job Descriptions and Responsibilities for the Cheshire Highway Department employees to review. Mark will also investigate protocol for employment evaluations.
- In the future, Contracts will be completed in person and by a certain date. She would like this in place for next year’s negotiations.
With all business finalized Carol motioned to close the meeting, 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.
Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen Secretary
Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Paul F. Astorino, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds