Selectmen's Weekly Minutes

Listing of the Board of Selectmen's Weekly Meeting Minutes.  Click HERE to view list of posted Agendas

August 30, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Paul F. Astorino, Robert S. Ciskowski and, Carol A. Francesconi
Absent:       
Press: iBerkshires
                  
Robert read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, August 23, 2016; Paul accepted as corrected; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.  (The Executive Session changed to September 6, 2016)

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Copies of the 2016-1027 Contract was given to Peter to distribute to the highway crew.
- Peter reviewed the Bids received for a new Cheshire Highway truck and after making a comparison he recommended the purchase of from Modern Ram Dodge the 2017 truck costing $113,333K.  The BOS after discussing the options, Paul made a motion to accept Peter’s recommendation to award Modern Dodge; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken. (Modern Ram Dodge, 68 Waterbury Road, Thomaston, CT 06787)
- Peter reported that weed removal will continue on 8/31/16.  The harvester will be returned and will be working until Friday at noon.  Peter suggested working with the Water Department since they are the stewards of property, town land, for composting etc.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber: 
- Mark would like to further discuss the Job Description for a town custodian.  Mark would like to discuss the position when there is a full board next week.
- Submitted a copy of the Legal Ad for the tax classification hearing.
- Submitted a copy of a Job Description outline for a Town Administrator.
- Upcoming hearings scheduled around the State by MA DOT regarding the removal of all toll booths along the MassPike.  The nearest one to us is in Lenox at the District 1 DOT office on September 15th beginning at 6:30PM.
- Request received for documentation on the lake treatment.
- Mark reviewed the Governor’s approved legislation on local government reforms.  There are several items of interest that will make more sense than the way we are currently required to do things.
- Had a nice interview with Aammon from BRPC.  He will be meeting with several others in the building as well.
- Will be requesting Paul to sign the MIIA membership agreement.  This is a procedural item required by the State Division of Insurance.
- Mark compiled several Highway Superintendent job descriptions along with other Highway Department employee classifications.  Peter and Mark will review over the next few weeks to work on putting some descriptions together for Cheshire.


Resident, Barry Emery:
- Reported security cameras installed at the Cheshire Elementary School playground area.

Paul:
- Reported that George Sweet would like to install power at the old skating ring area.  The Recreation Committee will be responsible for the $200 cost.

Paul:  Requested an Executive Session for 7pm on Tuesday, September 6, 2016: To discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining or litigation if an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the governent’s bargaining or litigating position.  Also, to conduct strategy sessions in preparation for negotiations with non-union personnel; to actually conduct collective bargaining and contract negotiations with non-union personnel.

Police Chief, Timothy Garner:  Submitted the Weekly Report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:  No issues or concerns.

Mail and Correspondence:
- Employee disability notice received.

Resident, Peter Traub:
- Notified the BOS that lake association representatives will be meeting with SOLitude.

With all business finalized, Paul motioned to adjourn the meeting at 7:30pm; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.


Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds


August 23, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Paul F. Astorino, Robert S. Ciskowski and, Carol A. Francesconi
Absent:       
Press: iBerkshires and The Courier
                  
Robert read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, August 16, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken. 

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Carol reported a message from Michelle Whitney regarding the need for a backhoe for August 29, 2016 for the preparation of new playground equipment at Cheshire Elementary School.

Carol:
- Reported that the weed removal company (SOLitude Lake Management) will be coming back to continue the weed removal.  Carol spoke to Ray Fisher about the process. To date 95 truck loads of weeks have been removed.

COA Anna Farnum and Peter Traub:
- Introduced the new COA Outreach Worker, Kerry Lahey.  Kerry discussed some of her plans for growing the numbers of seniors attending the various sites.  Although the Master Plan Survey demonstrated a lack of interest in joining the group, Kerry was enthusiastic about different offering that would encourage participation.

Cheshire Fire Chief, Thomas Francesconi:
- Chief Francesconi updated the BOS on the critical need of obtaining water from Cheshire Lake due to the over growth of tape grass and the recent attempt to remove the grass from the lake. He reported that the pumps get clogged and are unable to pump for the houses on Hutchinson Lane, Lanesboro Road, and the cove roads.
- Several different attempts have been made to accommodate the pumping of water.  All attempts have failed.
- Chief Francesconi explained that the department has 3,800 gallons of water stored in trucks and water tankers.  However, that is not sufficient to handle most structural fires.  Additionally, maneuvering a tanker on the cove roads is difficult as they accommodate only one-way traffic.
- The BOS suggested, for an immediate resolution, to advise Mutual Aide of the situation.
- Fire hydrants were thought to be an option but, many are not in operating condition or are on a private water line.
- The BOS will contact Ray Fisher on the current situation and request SOLitude to return the harvester to Cheshire asap.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber: 
- Spoke with the Berkshire County Retirement administrator with concerns of the Retirement Board and the number of hours the Town Accountant works per week. Mark will follow up and report back to the BOS.
- Call received from a resident seeking information about the Cheshire Lake treatment program.  Carole H. and given additional information and Ray Fisher’s contact information regarding the treatment agreement.
- Verizon worked on the telephone system and all systems are up and running.
- Spoke with Mike Lennon of SOLitude last week.  He said, “The timing of the treatment had less to do with the problem than did the unique spring weather and the appearance and habitat of the newly acquired weed (Tape Grass).”  He takes full responsibility and noted that he’s never before seen a similar situation.
- Sent a follow up request to town Counsel seeking direction on the 3 to 5 member Board process.
- Received a note from Todd Ford, Hampshire Council of Governments, following up on the virtual net metering offer for Cheshire residents.  After explaining that the Town was maxed out on net metering credits, he’s asking how and if we/he can proceed on promoting the 15% additional savings for residential customers.  He suggested hold a community presentation hosted by Hampshire COG.  Following that meeting, the BOS could decide whether the Town wishes to sign on as a promoter of the program.  Unsure if this should be a function of Town government.  Additional materials and information is forth coming from Mr. Lennon.
- Worked with Peter on Wells and Windsor Road bid package.  The legal notice has been sent to The Berkshire Eagle.
- Will work on draft for employment opportunity for a maintenance individual for 10-12 hours a week.
- Will be preparing an advertisement for The Berkshire Eagle for a Tax Classification Hearing on 9/13/16 at 7:00pm.

Paul:  Requested an Executive Session for 7pm on Tuesday, August 30, 2016: To discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining or litigation if an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the governent’s bargaining or litigating position.  Also, to conduct strategy sessions in preparation for negotiations with non-union personnel; to actually conduct collective bargaining and contract negotiations with non-union personnel.

Police Chief, Timothy Garner:  Submitted the Weekly Report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson: 

6:45PM Paul:
- Read The Berkshire Eagle notice for bids to purchase a new truck for the Cheshire Highway Department. Two (2) Bids were received. (The bid was for a new model year, 4-wheel drive 19,500 G.V.W truck with plow, sand and dump body. Bid price with Trade-in.

1. Place Motors, 19 Thompson, Webster, MA 01570        $109,000.00 
                           

2. Shaker/Modern Dodge Ram,  68 Waterbury Road, Thomaston, CT    06787       
Two Options:  2017 Ram 5500 to specifications    $113,333.00
              New 2016 Ram 5500 exceeds basic equipment  $ 116,869.00

Paul requested Peter to review the bids and come back to the BOS with a recommendation on Tuesday, August 30, 2016.                   

Mail and Correspondence:

Robert:
- Would like to see the Cheshire Plan Survey on the Cheshire website.  Christine reported that there is now a link to connect to it.
- Discussed attendance of members at the committee meetings.  He noted that due to summer and vacations attendance was low.  He reported that Mr. Kaplan of BRPC will be calling for interviews with the stakeholders in town which could include Mark Webber, Carol A. Francesconi, Paul F. Astorino, Library personnel etc.  They would like at least 20-30 people to participate in the interview. The interviews can be via telephone or in person.
- Requested that Thomas Zappula be appointed to the Cheshire Master Plan Committee to replace the resignation of Shannon C. Plumb.  Mr. Zappula possesses a wealth of knowledge since he has been on the Cheshire Zoning Boards of Appeals for many years and is a long time resident.  Paul motioned to appoint Thomas Zappula to the Cheshire Master Plan Committee; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken.
- Robert questioned if there was any news regarding a possible appeal for the recent rent increase at Pine Valley Mobile Home Park.  No communication(s) have been received.

With all business finalized, Paul motioned to adjourn the meeting at 7:53pm; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken.


Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds


August 16, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Paul F. Astorino, Robert S. Ciskowski and, Carol A. Francesconi
Absent:       
Press: iBerkshires and The Courier
                  
Robert read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, August 12, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken. 

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre:  On vacation.
- Carol will relate a message from Michelle Whitney regarding the need for a backhoe for August 28, 2016 for the preparation of new playground equipment at Cheshire Elementary School.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber: 
- Received request for a copy of the NOI for herbicide treatment at Cheshire Lake.  Passed along to Carole H.
- Will have Carole H. research the Tax Agreement (PILOT) with Kirt Mayland/Jamie Smith for the Bushika solar project.
- ABCC changes in forms and license renewal procedures.  All procedures will be via email in the future.
- FCC Highway Department public safety license WQFL817 set to expire on August 15, 2016.  Peter is aware.
- Response received from business manager Erica Snyder regarding last week’s questions on Chapter 70 and 71 figures for the current fiscal year.  The figures appear to be in order.
- Catherine Skiba of DEP Western MA region forwarded a complaint she received regarding activity in the vicinity of Daniels Terrace.  She requested a response once the Conservation Commission was able to investigate.
- Began studying the Governor’s newly approved legislation on reforms affecting municipalities. (120 pages)
- Peter downloaded some Chapter 90 forms for him to complete when he comes back on Friday.
- Robin is wrapping up the Assessor’s work with values and new growth and is looking to hold the annual tax classification hearing on September 13th to set the new tax rate.  Lynne, Chris, and Becky need to furnish their information to Robin as soon as possible as well.
- Mark will not be attending Selectmen meetings on September 20th and 27th.
- Continued progress on Sand Mill Road Bridge repair. Communication received from the technical review group at the Department of Transportation that the technical portion has passed.

Police Chief, Timothy Garner:  Submitted the Weekly Report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:  Requested the BOS to sign the Primary Warrant.
- Reported requests for the Cheshire Master Plan outcomes for the recent survey be placed on the website. Chris suggested it be placed on the committee’s Facebook page or show a link on the Cheshire website to the committees Facebook page.


Mail and Correspondence:

- The Commonwealth of Massachusetts; Massachusetts Historical Commission. Will be meeting at 1pm on September 14, 2016 at the Massachusetts State Archives, Dorchester, MA for possible approve for the Cheshire Town Hall to be listed in the National Register.  If listed this property could be eligible for certain Federal investment tax credits for rehabilitation and other provisions.  Mark feels confident in the Town Hall’s acceptance and a wish list has been started.  Carol felt the first job is the gutter work and the re-pointing of bricks.

Robert:
- Robert discussed the success of the second Cheshire Block Party.  Due to rain possibilities, the event was held at the church.  The events are well received by the community and the volunteers are dedication to its success. Paul commended the group for their hard work and dedication to bringing community togetherness.

Lake Cleaning:
- For two days of cutting, 35 truck-loads of weeds have been removed.  Although the company thought it might be a 3 day job, it appears it will take several more days.  It is important to note that in other towns with
similar concerns, the weeds can be used for composting. 

Resident, Mr. Scholz:
- Questioned Robert about the progress of the 3-5 Selectmen process.  Robert answered that the answer from Town Counsel did not address the question asked but was answering a Charter or amending a Charter.  Note: the Town does not have a Charter. Mark has resubmitted the question and is awaiting Town Counsel to return from vacation for an answer.

Paul:
- Addressed a resident’s concern regarding mowing on Outlook Avenue.  Paul explained that the Highway Department was down one employee, vacations, and now removing weeds from the late, and equipment failing.  The crew is behind on roadside mowing but they anticipate getting caught up as they are cutting now.

With all business finalized, Paul motioned to adjourn the meeting at 7:30; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken.


Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen's Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds


August 9, 2016
6:30PM

Quorum present: Paul Astorino (PA), Chair; Carol Francesconi (CF); Robert Ciskowski(RC).
       
Press: Berkshire Courier
                       
Robert read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, August 2, 2016; Carol accepted as presented 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken. 

Dr. Putnam, ACRSD Superintendent, addresses the Board and asks a series of questions to gauge the thoughts and priorities of the Board regarding the District's education mission.

Dr. Putnam asks 'what are the District's strengths?'. CF responds “parent participation and strong teaching staff'.

Dr. Putnam asks 'what are some of the Board's concerns?' PA responds 'closing of Cheshire Elementary School, loss of students to other Districts and the money that follows them'.
       
Dr. Putnam asks 'are we headed in the right direction?' RC responds 'no, not in the recent past although your outreach is refreshing. There has been poor communication and we were told that positions would be eliminated and we pushed for a funding override only to find that they were eliminated anyways.'

Dr. Putnam asks 'what should be maintained at all costs?' CF responds 'quality education at all costs, improve rating and re-establish integrity'.

Dr. Putnam asks 'what does District need to work on?' Board responds 'increased overall accountability.'

Dr. Putnam asks 'what are the core values of the community?' CF responds that 'Cheshire has always supported and funded the schools in order to provide the best education that the Town can afford and have supported overrides and has used outside funding to support school budgets.'

Dr. Putnam thanks the Board for their input and notes that he is enjoying his job so far and that it is an interesting challenge.

CF states that she has been in contact with Ray Fisher of the Cheshire Lake District who has provided updates on the recent weed problem. Ray has been working with the weed treatment contractor (Solitude) and that treatments were done on July 20 and August 4.  Ray noted that a new problem weed was identified (tape grass) and is very aggressive. Currents and wind have moved the treated, now dead and floating weeds, into large masses, particularly near the spillway and boat ramp. Ray is working on getting the contractor back to mechanically remove the nuisance as soon as possible.

Resident Mike Kruszyna voices his concerns with the current condition of the lake and introduces Dan Miraglia who acknowledges that it is a difficult job to manage a lake then addresses the Board on a variety of his concerns regarding Cheshire Lake, including: weed treatment methodology, lake ecosystems, recreational use of the lake by general public, impact of weed treatment on fishery and overall priorities, which should not be exclusive to lake residents. He adds that idea weed treatment would be selective and leave one-quarter of the weeds intact. He then questions the timing and level of weed treatment saying that it was overkill this year. He adds that the general public should have input into level and type of treatments and questions the current status and process of obtaining the Notice of Intent (NOI) for weed treatment. CF responds that all NOI hearings are open to the public and she doesn't recall anyone attending in the past. Board thanks Mr Miraglia for his input and  ill take his concerns under advisement.

7:00 PM:
PA makes a motion to enter executive session per MGL Chapter 30A, Section 21a(2) “to conduct collective bargaining”,  and to return to open meeting session upon its conclusion. CF seconds the motion. Voice vote taken: RC, aye; CF, aye; PA, aye.

Executive Session

7:25 PM:
With executive session concluded, Board returns to regular open meeting session.

Chief of Police Garner issues his weekly report. Chief Garner discusses sponsoring a candidate to the Part Time Police Academy, adding that there is no cost or hiring obligation to the Town. Board wishes to meet the candidate prior to approving request.

Water Commissioner Rick Gurney states that the Commissioners have requested bids from three qualified vendors to conduct a master plan and related reports for the Cheshire Water Department as required by the DEP. Two bids have been received and the Commissioners are anxious to get Selectmen approval of the low bidder because of the report's urgency. Bids received are from Tighe and Bond at a total cost of $33,600 and Berkshire Engineering Group at $17,210. Mr Gurney notes that the Department has  used both vendors in the past and have been satisfied with their work. Following a discussion and based on the recommendation of the Commissioners, Selectmen execute an agreement with Berkshire Engineering Group.

Peggy Richardson speaks to the Board about her concerns over the small number of active Cheshire seniors being served by the Council on Aging. She notes that there are only about 13 active members. She would like to do a town-wide mailing to attract and inform seniors. While the Board is sympathetic, they need to get specific figures on  mailing costs before offering assistance.

Highway Superintendent Peter LeFebvre gives his weekly report and notes that he will be on vacation next week and that he has provided the Highway crew with a list of projects to work on. Peter states roadside mowing is continuing.

Town Administrator Mark Webber gives his weekly report including the following items:

Asks whether the Board given any more thought to the MIIA grant options, noting that the Town tree survey is probably not the best idea. Applications are not due for several more weeks.
Board reviews a note from the Town's engineer for Sand Mill Road bridge repair project. Seems like the technical review stage has been completed to the satisfaction of MA DOT. Now it goes to final review by the Chief Engineer. No indication of how long that will take.
Submitted a prevailing wage request for Peter for the Windsor and Wells Roads paving project. They will be attached to the bid package which should be finished up shortly, then advertised and put out to bid. Bids are coming in for other towns between $65 and $70/ton for blacktop in place.
Had a long chat with Ray Fisher last evening after getting a call from the newspaper seeking comment. Ray spoke with the reporter as well. Eagle called back today to say that Solitude is going to address the clean up at no cost to the Town.
Governor Baker has signed this year's budget, including municipal government reforms; several  may be of interest to the Town. Will need to investigate the specifics. Also, final State Aid figures are approved for both the Town and the school district (Chapter 70 & 71). Requested clarification from the District on discrepancies between FY '17 ACRSD budget figures compared with actual receipts.
Had a follow up conversation with Nexamp regarding past discussions and recent presentation from Hampshire Power on their virtual net metering program. Still sorting things out to avoid conflicts with the Town's current power agreements.

Board receives a letter from MA DOT (attached) denying the Town's request to install guardrails in the vicinity of 137 South State Street in response to a recent and prior vehicle accidents causing property damage.

RC comments that, while the earlier conversation on Cheshire Lake weed treatment was informative, he notes that comments that the general public should have equal or primary say in how the lake is managed might not sit well with Lake residents who, in the past, have suffered with serious weed issues to the point of receiving tax abatements. Bob adds that Lake residents have put their money where their mouths are and should receive considerations over visiting sportsmen.

CF states that she received a call from Historic Commission member Diane Hitter saying that the State is looking favorably upon the Town's application for restoration funding for the Cheshire Town Hall.


8:10 PM:
There being no additional business to come before the Board, PA makes a motion to adjourn. RC seconds the motion. Vote taken, 3-0 in favor.


_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds


August 2, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Paul F. Astorino,  Robert S. Ciskowski, and Carol A. Francesconi
Absent:       
Press: iBerkshires and The Courier
                       
Robert read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, July 26, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken. 

Residents, Kendall and Janice Sisson inquired about the progress of repairs on the Sand Mill Bridge.
Paul updated the status and noted that the Town does have the finances for it.  However, the State has to approve the plans.

COA, Anna Farnum and Peter Traub:
- Anna reported that Butch King is assisting her in the cleaning out of one of the offices. 
- There will be a meeting with Kerry Lahey, the newly appointed COA Outreach Worker, on Monday, August 8, 2016.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Mowing Route 116.
- Continuing to clear brush from a recent wind/rain storm.
- Checked Fisher Hills for pot holes.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber: 
- Resident, Peter Franz expressed concern with the Town Hall gutters needing repair and asked if there were plans to address them.
- A Risk and Loss Control grant program is being offered by the Town’s insurer – MIIA.  Mark suggested applying for a Town tree survey/assessment.  MIIA is giving grants of up to $15K with a cap of $10K per item. Applications need to be submitted by October 28th and spent by May 15, 2017.
- Spoke with Travis of the Water Department and he has two quotes in hand for the DEP required master plan and will have a third quote by the end of this week. Commissioners will then review and pass along a recommendation to the Board.
- Spoke with Officer Alibozek about his employment agreement status.  We have a standard agreement that was adopted a few years back for full time officers.  Mark suggested waiting until and if he passes the full time Academy, which he is enrolled in the beginning of November.  It would then, by law, be a one year probationary agreement, with a maximum of up to a 3-year term afterwards.
- Spoke with Julie at Hampshire Council of Governments about the virtual net metering program for Town accounts.  They are reviewing our bills and should have something for the Board at the next meeting.

Police Chief, Timothy Garner:  Submitted the Weekly Report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:  No issues or concerns.

Mail and Correspondence:
- Ray Fisher notified the Board that there will be a lake treatment on August 4, 2016.

Robert:
- Announced renewed confidence after hearing Dr. Putnam’s presentation last week.  He was especially pleased to know that information will be forthcoming regarding decisions.
- Robert would like to review Executive Session minutes.
- Robert will be checking the trash rack for weeds as there is an over abundance.
- Suggested thinking about a Foreman position for when the Highway Superintendent is unavailable.

Mark will be contacting Town Counsel regarding the three to five Selectmen process.

Paul announced an Executive Session for Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 7pm to discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining or litigation if an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the governent’s bargaining or litigating position.  Also, to conduct strategy sessions in preparation for negotiations with non-union personnel; to actually conduct collective bargaining and contract negotiations with non-union personnel.

One Day Liquor Licenses for the Cheshire Rod and Gun Club.  Issued for $150.00

With all business finalized, Paul motioned to adjourn the meeting at 7:30; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken.

Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds


July 26, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Paul F. Astorino, Robert S. Ciskowski and Carol A. Francesconi
Absent:     
Press: iBerkshires
                 
Robert read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, July 19, 2016; Carol accepted as amended; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken. 

Interim Adams-Cheshire Regional School Superintendent, Dr. Putnum addressed the Cheshire Board of Selectman introduce himself and to review his Interim position, goals to accomplish, and the need for better communication with both Towns.  His plans include meeting as many residents as possible to discuss the needs they feel are relevant which will allow him to be successful in the decisions he will be making.
Carol:
- Noted that the Cheshire BOS disliked the fact that they would find out about decisions in the newspaper. Dr. Putnum stated he is always available to meet with people in general and was looking forward to meeting the Cheshire Advisory Board members. Dr. Putnum’s main goal is to improve student learning.  He explained the definitions of Levels 2 and 3.
Robert:
-Troubled by the fact that the override passed the second time and it was mainly for the school.  He noted that positions have been eliminated and feels he doesn’t know what to believe anymore.  He cited two positions eliminated; one technology and one professional development individual. Dr. Putnam said the staff is lean.
Carol:
- Questioned the status of the study the School Committee is performing.
Dr. Putnum:
- “All Towns will be informed of the outcome of the study and there will be information posted on the website.”
Dr. Putnum:
- The biggest decision he is working on is the Budget.  He is dealing with fixed costs going up, negotiations,  and health care.  He is striving to maintain a quality education and for the first thirteen days on the job he has concentrated on taking in all information from both Towns.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- To date Peter has received six (6) requests for Bid packages for the highway truck.
- Submitted a project request for signature for Wells and Windsor Road blacktopping.
- Guy Lewis of Fisher Hill Road report pot holes.
- Paul commended Peter and crew for clearing brush by the river.   
- Noted that the ditch in front of the Gable property had been inspected and he noted it to be clean.



COA, Anna Farnum and Peter Traub:
- Anna requested assistance for trash removal as she is clearing out one of the offices.  Peter will assist. Anna and Peter reviewed their interviewing process for the Outreach Worker for the COA and recommended Kerry Lahey.  Carol motioned to appoint Kerry Lahey as the 20 hour/week COA Outreach Worker; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken. Anna was asked to see if Ms. Lahey will be available in the winter months.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber: 
- Submitted an article from Mass Moments, a story on the 1801 cheese ball shipped to Washington as Western MASS supported newly elected Thomas Jefferson and eastern Mass supported the defeated John Adams.
- Received a copy of the 6th submission to MA DOT Bridge from the Town’s engineers. To date, $23,000 has been paid for professional services for Sand Mill Bridge.
- Request received for the Barn Book from Myron Proper.
- Received educational information from Hampshire Power on their available virtual net metering plan which can be posted on the Towns website. Would like to participated successfully before promoting the program for Town residents.
- Spoke to Travis regarding his submission of a Master Plan for the water system. A DRAFT should be done by October.
- Will work on Carry Forwards next week.

Police Chief, Timothy Garner:  Submitted the Weekly Report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:
- Invited the BOS to attend a viewing of the new election machine in operation on August 24, 2016 from 5:30pm to 7:30pm at the Cheshire Town Hall.

Robert:
- Question if there was a resignation from the Water Department.  Answer:  No changes made.

Mail and Correspondence:
- APEX Cleaning.
- Berkshire Gas.

7:30pm
Paul motioned to go into Executive Session to discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining or litigation if an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the governent’s bargaining or litigating position.  Also, to conduct strategy sessions in preparation for negotiations with non-union personnel; to actually conduct collective bargaining and contract negotiations with non-union personnel and the open meeting at 6:30pm will not continue.
Paul F. Astorino, Yes; Robert S. Ciskowski, Yes; and Carol A. Francesconi, Yes.

With all business finalized, Paul motioned to close the meeting to go into Executive Session at 7:30; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken. The 6:30 meeting will not reopen


Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds