Selectmen's Weekly Minutes

Listing of the Board of Selectmen's Weekly Meeting Minutes.  Click HERE to view list of posted Agendas

November 8, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Paul F. Astorino, Robert S. Ciskowski and, Carol A. Francesconi
Absent:       
Press: The Courier

Robert read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday November 1; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken. 

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Patching continues.
- Mowing Notch Road.
- Back topping will take place the week of November 14th.

Resident, Ronald DeAngelis:
- Questioned the scheduling of quarterly department of heads meetings. Carol responded that it has been difficult to schedule meetings due to most individuals being volunteers and have limited time.  Originally there were four meetings a year.  With a lack of attendance it was first changed to two meetings and now one meeting.  Typically, a discussion takes place before the town employee Christmas Party. 

Town Administrator, Mark Webber: 
- Commended Lynn on an excellent job regarding Free Cash certification approval.
- Mark reported that the town hall rear door is in need of repairs.  Additionally, he reported a dripping in the bathroom sink.
- Mark sent a note to Attorney Lauren Goldberg with a summary of what Mark interpreted as the process of going forward with the number change of Selectmen. It appears that we do have to go to Town Meeting (and or Town Election) and vote on an article to petition the Legislature to grant special legislation.  Following approval of the Legislature, the law becomes effective.
- Discussed mark-ups of the draft Highway Superintendent job description.
- Kirt Mayland is seeking another document to be signed for the Bushika net metering credits to the Town.  His bank is looking for confirmation that we still have a contract.  Ok to sign.
- A functional capacity test with an independent doctor will take place for a highway department employee.  The results should provide direction towards what the next step should be.
- Received and reviewed the Opinion received from Attorney Grandchamp for the Fence viewers matter.  He recommends that the Fence viewers revisit the property to determine whether or not both properties use enclosed area for pasturing.  If so, a partition fence is required.  If not, then no partition fence is required.  If only the Clairmont property is used for pasturing, then Mr. Beisiegel has no obligation to jointly maintain the partition and Clairmont has an obligation to prevent his livestock from trespassing.  However, it appears that the Fence viewers made a previous decision that calls for joint (or split) maintenance of a petition fence.  Counsel adds that the Fence viewers are lawfully able to re-visit the case and make a new determination.
- ABCC has changed their annual liquor license renewal process.  Towns are now required to report renewals electronically before the end of December.  They no longer want the towns to send in paper copies of renewals.  Cheshire must still send out the standard renewal forms to current license holders and have them signed and returned to the Board before the end of November.  The forms arrived today after Mark placed a telephone call to the ABCC board inquiring about the status of the Town’s forms.  Apparently, several Towns did not receive them. 
- Mark will be attending a two day seminar in Boston at the Office of the Inspector General to keep up his continuing education credits for his MCPPO designation.
- As of yesterday, excess bond proceeds of $50,000 or less, from a borrowing can be applied to any other existing Town debt.  For instance if there was a $10,000 left over from a highway truck borrowing bond, that balance could be applied to the fire truck long term debt.
- Also, under this municipal reform act, the Town I required to register with CommBuys, which falls under the State’s Operational Services Division.  Forms were completed on this date.  This will allow the Town to participate in statewide contracts for goods and services.

Robert:
- The BOS reviewed the possibility of paying for a continuing education course on line for a Board of Health employee.  The BOS felt that the Board of Health should pay for it.  This will be referred to the Board of Health.
- Announced a Master Plan Meeting for Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 6pm at the Cheshire Town Hall.
- Robert attended the World Cafe’ District Study meeting.  He noted that people really care about the schools and general cooperation is needed.  In consideration of that statement, Robert suggested both Boards meet in an effort to work cooperatively.  He asked the BOS to think about it as he had several people suggest it to him.

Resident, Ron DeAngelis:
- Suggested using the Cheshire Elementary School as a Charter School.

Resident, Peter Traub:
- Reported a decreasing population in general as well decreasing numbers for the schools.  He suggested creating a brochure to advertise the Town of Cheshire, MA better.  It could be given to real estate agents which could also promote the Cheshire Lake, Trails, tax rate, and general small town living. He thought an individual promoting Cheshire might also benefit the Town.

Carol:
- Requested the Parking Ban announcement be placed in The Berkshire Eagle for:  November 1, 2016 until  April 30, 2017 from 11pm to 6am.

Police Chief, Timothy Garner:  Submitted the Weekly Report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:  At Election.

Mail and Correspondence:
- Letter from Attorney Grandchamp re: Fence viewers/Clairmont. Copies of the letter will be mailed to  appropriate individuals.
- DCR letter to John and Sophie Gwozdz. Forest Cutting Plan No. 058-8385-17.  Plan disapproved.


Tree Lighting:  Sunday, December 4, 2016 5:30PM at the Cheshire Community Center.

With all business finalized Paul motioned to close the meeting at 8:10pm; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.
                  


Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds

 

November 1, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Paul F. Astorino,  Robert S. Ciskowski, and Carol A. Francesconi  
Press: iBerkshires

Robert read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, October 25, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken. 

Resident, Barry Emery:
- Mr. Emery will be offering a presentation on Restaurants and Taverns on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at the Cheshire Community Center. 
- Mr. Emery questioned when Wells Road will be paved.  Peter answered:  “Next week; the week of November 7th.”

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Repairs needed at the water trough in front of the Cheshire Town Hall.  Water issues have created leaks in the cracks.  A year’s rest is in order.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber: 
- Working on contacting Attorney Goldberg regarding the process and procedure for changing the number of Selectmen from three (3) to five (5) Selectmen.
- Meeting on November 7th at the Lenox Town Hall to review a proposal from MIIA for the Berkshire Health Group to review a proposal from MIIA to provide health and dental to the Group.  Both the Group and MIIA contract with BCBS, but the hope is that MIIA will provide the group with a lower quote for the same products.  Becky is on the Board of both Groups and will be attending the meeting as the Town’s representative.
- Following up on employee on worker’s compensation.
- Developed a draft Highway Superintendent job description for the Board and Peter to review.
- Received an insurance stamp for the registration renewal for the antique fire truck.  Lynn needs to cut a check before Mark can go the DMV in Pittsfield by the end of November.
- Received and responded to a town resident request who asked for the town’s debt service schedule for the high school renovation.  A schedule was sent.
- Planning on scheduling a kick-off meeting for members of the Town’s Complete Street project.
- Met with the MEMA representative yesterday to discuss the upcoming Emergency Management Grant.  Cheshire is available for another $2,400.  Mark recommended that the MEMA rep contact the Town’s Emergency Management Coordinator directly to complete the grant application.
- Met with Lynne and finalized and sent in paperwork for this year’s MEMA grant.  This year’s grant was for two (2) Police portable radios.
- Cemetery water set for winter.  Travis recommends blasting out with air.

Police Chief, Timothy Garner:  Submitted the Weekly Report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:  Preparing for early election voting.

Mail and Correspondence:
- Paul read the COA monthly meeting minutes.
- Invitation for a celebration of Leonard Stomski’s painting gift to the Town on Sunday, November 13, 2016 at the Cheshire Community Center.
- MASS Rural Water Association.  As of October 28, 2016, 210 water services, main valves and hydrants have been located, traced, and marked.  A total of 19,178 GPS positions have been taken, corrected, exported and mapped using a Trimble GeoExplorer GeoXH received with Trimble Pathfinder and ESRI ArcMap software.
The Town of Cheshire is developing a Source Water Protection Plan and comprehensive Asset Management Plan.  Contact individual at MASS Rural Water Association is Bruce Young.
- Memorandum from the Cheshire Planning Board to appoint Peter H. Traub to the Smart Streets Committee was received.  Carol made a motion to appoint Peter H. Traub to the Smart Streets Committee; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.

Carole H. reported that the Cheshire Zoning Board of Appeals would like to appoint Rob Balawender to the ZBA as an Alternate Member.  Carol motioned to appoint Rob Balawender to the Cheshire Zoning Board of Appeals as an Alternate Member; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.

Cheshire Planning Board Chairman, Donna M. DeFino:
- Updated the BOS on the Cheshire Planning Boards decision to have all Special Permit Applications costing $400.  In the past the cost was$300 for Agriculture and $400 for Residential and Business.  The CPB is attempting to make the process consistent as the publishing, postage, and general expenses are the same for all. Carol motioned to have all Special Permits $400; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.

Tree Lighting:  Sunday, December 4, 2016 5:30PM at the Cheshire Community Center.

With all business finalized Paul motioned to close the meeting at 7:30pm; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.
       

Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds

October 25, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Paul F. Astorino, Robert S. Ciskowski and, Carol A. Francesconi
Absent:       
Press:The Courier
                  
Robert read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, October 18, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken. 

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Blacktopping is scheduled for the 7th of November.

Resident, John Driscoll:
- In regard to an Enforcement Order per the Enforcement Officer (DEP) for the removal of beaver debris. Carol noted that only the Cheshire Conservation Commission can issue a permit.     

Town Administrator, Mark Webber: 
- Received a telephone call from the Deputy Director of the Inspector General’s office last week.  He was following up on a complaint received by his office regarding the Town plowing and maintenance of private roads.  He said that in order to comply with the law, the voters need to approve an election ballot question at the next annual town meeting to accept M.G.L. Chapter 40, Sections 6c and 6d.  A letter was received where he cited a letter sent to the town of Wellfleet, which was a similar case to ours.
- Meeting on October 26, 2016 with a MIIA account representative to review the Town’s insurance policies.
- Met with Peter and Becky today to review Peter’s pending retirement and his health insurance specifics, which may or may not be specific to him and another Town employee, both hired before Medicare rule changes back in the 1980’s.  Becky will research further.
- Researching the bid proposal for repairs at the fire station.  This type of work falls under Chapter 149 and is exempt from formal bidding practices as it is valued at less than $10,000.  Mark noted that any work performed under Chapter 149 is subject to paying prevailing wages.  Mark spoke with the Fire Chief and he is going to get a revised quote detailing the labor costs so that they can be properly addressed.
- Sent in the Water Department budget information as requested by Berkshire Engineering for the DEP master plan that they are working on.
- Re-submitted the DEP grant contract signed by the Board last week.  Mark is the authorized signatory.
- Continuing to gather data on highway superintendent job description.  Mark has eight (8) towns from the area and he is reviewing them and putting together a draft.
- Received a call from Jack Girard at the Cemetery Department regarding the shutting off of water for the season in the Town Cemetery.  Mark will follow up with Travis.
- Received a draft copy of a regional approach to satisfy the Town’s NPDES permit obligations.  BRPC is heading up the initiative.  The idea is to have the five (5) affected communities join together and share the costs instead of each of the five (5) having to satisfy the permit requirements on their own.  BRPC and their consulting engineer are showing serious savings by joining forces.  The five (5) communities are:  Cheshire, Lanesborough, Adams, Dalton, and Pittsfield.  Mark will be meeting with BRPC and their engineer during the  third week of November.
- Spoke with Steve Mack at Foresight and confirmed that we wish to go forward with the Sand Mill Bridge project as soon as he can get it out to bid.  He indicated that he was probably two weeks away from putting it out to bid.  We agreed that there would be a project completion date only and not a start date, which will allow the contractor to determine when to start and whether or not to work through the winter based on actual weather conditions.
- Spoke with a solid waste person from DEP last week who was investigating a call he received on Farnums apparently from a town official who claimed there was hazardous materials on the site.  Mark put him in contact with the Building Inspector who has extensive knowledge of the site.  Gerry spoke with the DEP official and all seems to be in order for now.

Police Chief, Timothy Garner:  Submitted the Weekly Report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson: 
- Chris thanked Peter and the road crew for moving six (6) years of paperwork and the voting equipment.

Mail and Correspondence:
- Berkshire Gas – 153 Main Street, Cheshire.
- Author, Ron Shaw, requested a reproduced image of Mr. Leonard Stomski’s art gift to the Town for his upcoming book; Lanark County, Ontario, Canada, Mammoth Cheese of 1892.
- Thank you letter for the Town’s support in acquiring new playground equipment at the elementary school.

Carol: 
- Suggested a conference call be made to Laura Goldberg, Mark Webber, Town Counsel, and one Selectmen to get an opinion on how to go forward changing the Selectmen from three (3) members to five (5) members.  Mark will schedule the call.

With all business finalized Paul motioned to close the meeting at 7:25pm; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken.


Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds

 

October 18, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Paul F. Astorino, Robert S. Ciskowski and, Carol A. Francesconi
Absent:       
Press: The Courier and iBerkshires
                  
Robert read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, October 11, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken. 

Fire Chief, Thomas Francesconi:
- Submitted an estimate for repairs to one corner of the fire house.  Mark will be researching the prevailing wages and process for going forward on the project.

Resident, Leonard Stomski, presented the Town of Cheshire with a 4’ by 8’ painting entitled, “Cheshire Cheese Goes To Washington DC.  The painting will be hung on the second floor of the Cheshire Town Hall.  The Cheshire Board of Selectmen thanked Mr. Stomski for his generous gift and they are planning to place a plaque in honor of Mr. Stomski’s gift. Those present included:  Leonard Stomski, Doris Stomski, Diane Hitter, Robert Hitter, Gus Martin, and Peter Traub.

Resident, Jan Cunniholm:
- Shared with the BOS his experience as a surveyor on his knowledge of private ways.  He noted that the Town may not be responsible, but it is commonly done.
- Reported that the sidewalk in front of his residence is deteriorating.  Peter will be checking into it.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Patching continues.
- Kirk Scholz may be interested in snow plowing. 
- Reported that the mower is down and being repaired.
     
Town Administrator, Mark Webber: 
- Mark held a conference call on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 with Bill Isaksen from National Grid and Peter regarding their lighting change-out program.  Their 3rd party contractor will be making an appointment with Peter shortly and will submit a proposal.  The program works as follows:  each National Grid customer has a small amount added to their bill which goes into the fund for this energy savings program.  Depending on the cost of the highway garage change out, this fund will pay a portion of the cost and the town is responsible for the balance.  The balance can be paid in several ways; either one payment sum, 0% interest rate over 1 or 2 years or a small amount can be added to Town electric bills for 1 or 2 years. Once the estimate is received, a decision will be made.  There will be future savings as well because we’d be changing to LED lights which use less power.

Town Administrative, Mark Webber: continued
- Held a conference call on Thursday, October 13, 2016 with Superintendent Putnam, Tony M., and Monica from the Collins Institute and Mark. The purpose was to preview the upcoming second World Café meetings on October 22, 2016 from 10-noon and November 3rd from 6pm-8pm at the high school.  Other topics included building closing scenarios and cost impacts, student changes, student’s opting out of the District, class sizes and more.  Superintendent Putnam has developed spreadsheets specific to one or the other elementary school closing and class size and costs impact and is continually working on alternate scenario calculation.
- Mark received a note from the Sand Mill Bridge engineer requesting authority to go out to bid this fall or wait until spring.  The BOS will make the decision.  A unanimous decision was reached to move forward.
- Mark requested the Town Clerk to post on the website new rates for the next 6 months from National Grid.  Ours, under the Community Choice consortium, will not change and will stay at $.0932 through November 2017.  National Grid’s winter rate (November 1 through April 30) will be $.0978.  This is a much smaller increase than we’ve seen in the recent past.  As always, residents have the no penalty option to opt out and in as they wish.
- Robin, in the Assessor’s office is working on receiving an updated quote from Cartographic to place and host the Town’s assessing records on line.
- Submitted to Peter updated speed limits rules for densely settled town roads as per new legislation.
- Mark met on this date with Berkshire Engineering to discuss their work on the Water Department’s required Master Plan for DEP.  Mark submitted financial information.  Mark noted that the deadline has been extended by the DEP from the end of October to a date undetermined.
- Mark reported a conference call on this date with ACRSD Superintendent, the Business Manager, Tony M and two individuals from the DOE to discuss the MLC formula and how it affects Cheshire and Adams.  Both towns are very close to their Target Contribution as determined by the DOE ability to pay/relative wealth formula.  Cheshire’s target is 50% and we are at 49%.  Adams’ target is 32% and they are at 31%.  It appears that neither town will see a major increase next year in the DOE MLC formulate to get us to their target.  To Mark, it appears that the disparity between what the two towns assessment last year had to do with the over MLC amount, which is on a strictly headcount basis.  From FY ’16 to FY’17, Adams sent 29 fewer students and Cheshire sent two additional students.

Police Chief, Timothy Garner:  Submitted the Weekly Report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:  - Thanked Colin from The Courier for his coverage on early voting and Tammy Daniels of iberkshires.
- Peter will be moving the Automark election equipment on Friday, October 21st.

Robert:
- Robert reported that the Cheshire Master Plan Committee did not open the meeting on October 13, 2016 due to not having a quorum.
- In an attempt to understand lack of population growth, Robert suggested working on considering having a more robust website so potential home and rental individuals could have a better sense of what Cheshire, MA is all about.  Now, most individuals use the internet to first do their research on possible new locations to move to and it is imperative for Cheshire’s site to offer as much information as possible.
- Superintendent Putnum attended the October 13, 2016 meeting and he offered the details for the importance of holding World Cafe’s.  Those attending continue to be impressed with the input from Superintendent Putnum and his ability to move forward.

Carol:
- Reported that the BOS has received three different opinions regarding the change from three (3) to five (5) Selectmen.  Further research is required.
- Suggested that Mark prepare a complete Job Description for the position of Superintendent of the Cheshire Highway Department for advertising in December’s job posting sites and The Berkshire Eagle.  This planning will allow for an overlay period to acclimate the new hire.

Mail and Correspondence:
- Paul signed the DEP FY17 Small Initiative Grant contract for $500.
- Letter from Massachusetts Historical Commission informing the Town that the Cheshire Town Hall Complex has been voted eligible for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places (36 CFR 60).
- DCR Forest Cutting Plan for Nick Mirke on Windsor Road.

TRICK OR TREAT:  Monday, October 31, 2016 at 5pm-7pm.

With all business finalized Paul motioned to close the meeting at 7:30pm; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken.


Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds

 

October 11, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Paul F. Astorino and Carol A. Francesconi
Absent:  Robert S. Ciskowski
Press: iBerkshires and The Courier

Paul read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, October 4, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Paul with unanimous vote taken.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre:

- Patching continues as well as mowing.
- Peter will inspect and report back to the BOS his findings regarding a ditch on the old Lombardi property.  Peter reminded the BOS that electric and telephone lines are located under the ditch in question.
- Checked in on the status of the new truck and reported no dates for delivery.
- Resident, Atalanta Sunguroff, thanked the BOS for following up on her inquiries of September.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:

- Nick Wildman at the DER reported that they are still reviewing applications,  He noted that the Cheshire application offered plenty of merit.
- Mark will be working with National Grid and their vendor tomorrow morning regarding a lighting change out program.
- A tentative date of October 13, 2016 at 1:30pm has been scheduled for a conference call with Mark, Tony M., Robert Putnam, and Erika Snyder.  The purpose of this call is to better understand the MLC formula and how it will work and whether Cheshire is going to continue to see a shift from Adams to Cheshire in the Towns' ability to pay.  Cheshire is already paying considerable more per student than Adams.
- Spoke at length with Rick Kingsley of the Collins Institute who was seeking information as part of their District study.  He was interested in the Town's financial health.  A budget and other fiscal  items were sent to Mr. Kingsley.  Carol interjected that the "Town is paying more, more, more, and more but getting less and less."
- Received a note from Representative Cariddi's office asking for a response to a Cheshire Constituent's question of why Cheshire recently awarded a paving bid to an out of state contractor when there are several Massachusetts contractors who also bid.  Mark responded that this and every other town in the Commonwealth is required to follow the law and reward contracts to the low bidder provided they are responsive and responsible.  DelSignore is both.  DelSignore is on the MA DOT prequalified paving contractor list.  And, if Cheshire had awared the contract to someone other than the low bidder, we would surely have had a bid protest and if we actually had someone other than a qualified low bidder do the work, then the State would have refused reimbursement to Cheshire and we would have been out $214,500.
- Foresight Engineering requested and received an abutter list for the Sand Mill Road Bridge in order to notify for a ConsCom Hearing.
- Mark has suggested that the Town consider placing its property records on line as so many other communities are doing.  Mark has asked Robin to research updated cost from the Cartographic, which provides our property maps and hosts our property data.
- Mark understands that the Master Plan Committee has discussed and may recommend a more robust town website, which could include property information along with general permitting information and other information.
- Eammon from BRPC asked if there has been any study on the needs and condition of existing Town buildings.  Other than the Stafford Monument, Mark did not think so.  A copy of that study should be scanned and sent to him.
- Received a letter from the Small Town Administrators of Massachusetts (STAM) sent to the Public Records Division of the Secretary of State, asking them to reconsider the recent changes to the Public Records law for the 80 small communities that STAM represents.  The new law calls for fines and penalties for non or inaccurate compliance to public records requests.  Most small towns have part-time staff and records are not coordinated on a master server when someone can type in a request and have the records printed out.  Mark feels that this could be a big problem for small communities like Cheshire.
- Working on financial information on the Cheshire Water Department for Berkshire Engineering as past of the DEP Master Plan.
- Letter submitted from a concerned resident about the Town's plowing of private roads.  Resident Marya LaRoche, questioned the maintenance and plowing of private roads.  The response via a letter noted that "Usual maintenance and plowing of private roads is an historic past practice for emergency and safety vehicles answering emergency calls."

Police Chief, Timothy Garner: Submitted weekly report.
- Paul requesting patroling Wells Road for bicycle club members riding three and four abreast in a lane.
- The Chief reported that M. Alibozek will be attending the Academy starting on November 8, 2016.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:
- BOS signed the Warrant for the Elections.
- Paid for Legal advertisement of $102.14.  It was charged to the BOS but will be paid out of

Elections.
- Public Records Request from Ron DeAngelis, regarding the Farnum/Goodlife demoliton.

Mail and Correspondence:
- Paul read the letter from Marya LaRoche regarding maintenance and plowing private roads.
- Paul read a letter from Mrs. Jessica Oliver requesting a statement regarding private roads for a

new property purchase.
- DCR Forest Cutting Tree Plan for: Landowner, Mike Mirke; Site, Windsor Road
- Agenda from the Master Plan Committee.  The meeting will take place on October 13, 2016 at 6pm at

the Cheshire Community Center.

Paul:
- Paul discussed the need to start seeking a replacement for Highway Superintendent, Peter LeFebvre, as his retirement date is April 7, 2017.  Carol suggested waiting until January.  This will again be discussed when there is a full BOS Board.

TRICK OR TREAT:  Monday, October 31, 2016

Resident Peter Traub:
- Reported that the Adams Art Cultural Board has placed art along the trail in Adams and he thought "Why not Cheshire?" He noted that they viewed two (2) possible sites in Town.  The two (2) sites have not had a discussion about the possibility.  Eileen Quinn stated that the project was in the formative stages.
- Mr. Traub requested the list of individuals on the Smart Streets project.  He was given the list and will make a request to the Cheshire Planning Board for one (1) Cheshire Planning Board member to join the project.  Peter is interested in the position.

With all business finalized Paul motioned to close the meeting at 7:28pm; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken.


Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds

October 4, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Paul F. Astorino, Robert S. Ciskowski and, Carol A. Francesconi
Absent:       
Press: The Courier and iBerkshires
                  
Robert read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, September 27, 2016; Carol accepted as amended; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken. 

After reviewing the employment application of Robert Belini, Paul motioned to appoint Robert Belini as the Cheshire Buildings Custodian at a monthly rate.  Lawn mowing and snow clearance will billed separately; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Patching continues as well as mowing.
- The boat ramp will be removed.

Carol:
- Continuing research on the responsibility for the Lombardi ditch and the Superior court verdict.  Carol is in contact with Town Attorney, E. St. John.
     
Town Administrator, Mark Webber: 
- In contact with Foresight Engineering about the Sand Mill Bridge project.  Filing for a ConsCom hearing is forthcoming.  The original project cost estimates based on series of changes are being reviewed.  Mark is checking to see if the ConsCom hearing costs are included in the original contract.
- Discussion is needed regarding the Highway Department manpower for the upcoming winter season.  A plan needs to be in place to cover plowing routes, etc. 
- Spoke to Fire Chief and it looks like FEMA/AFG filing obligations are satisfied.
- Met with Peter and a representative from Unifirst Uniforms.  The Town will save approximately 50% or $2,500 a year over the current uniform vendor agreement.
- Reported that the Office of Fishing and Boating access allows groups to apply for Special Use Permits for Cheshire Lake on line.  Mark is unsure as to possible overbooking and who will be responsible for the possibility to avoid conflicts.
- BayState tested the elevator due to reports of sticking.  It was tested and reported to be working fine.
- Requested and received loss run reports from the Town’s insurer MIIA.  Mark will be scheduling a meeting with the loss control individuals in the near future.  Fortunately, all claims are very low across all lines:  Workers Compensation, Professional Liability and Property and Casualty.
- Reviewed the paving bid results with Peter.  A notice of award was sent to DelSignore.  Peter expects the project to take place at the end of October or the beginning of November 2016.


Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Contacted Nick Wildman at the Division of Ecological Restoration to get an update on applications for assistance with dam removal and to see if Cheshire was still in the running or not.  No response as to this date.
- Contacted National Grid to see if they were still running lighting programs.  Mark is waiting for a call back.
- Eammon from BRPC asked if there was a published study on the proposed wind farm on the Cheshire watershed land and if he could get a copy.  Mark is researching a copy.
- Attended a 3:30pm meeting at ACRSD business office.  General discussion, wide ranging, looking into the future.  Scheduling a follow up meeting either next Tuesday or the week afterwards to have a conference call with DOE on the MLC/community wealth formula and how it is projected to impact each of the 2 District Towns.

Police Chief, Timothy Garner:  Submitted the Weekly Report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:  No issues or concerns.

Mail and Correspondence:
- Invitation to attend a ribbon cutting at the Cheshire Elementary school for the new playground equipment. Paul will be attending on October 7, 2016.
- MASS Legal Association offers free legal advice on Wednesday, October 26, 2016.  Call:  1-413-782-1659.
- DEP Letter regarding Vallisneria growth at Cheshire Reservoir (Hoosac Lake).

Robert:
- Reported that Interim Superintendent Putnam attended a Cheshire Master Plan meeting.  The committee was impressed with Mr. Putnam’s dedication to the school district and participated in the discussion and clearly understands the uncertainty of the schools and the concerns of residents.

Carol:
- In contact with E. St. John regarding the status of his researching of 3-5 Selectmen.
- Received a call from Nate Cairns to call Governor Baker regarding the funding cuts to BRPC.

TRICK OR TREAT:  Monday, October 31, 2016 at  5pm-7pm.

With all business finalized Paul motioned to close the meeting at 7:30pm; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken.


Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds