Selectmen's Weekly Minutes

Listing of the Board of Selectmen's Weekly Meeting Minutes.  Click HERE to view list of posted Agendas

August 2, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Paul F. Astorino,  Robert S. Ciskowski, and Carol A. Francesconi
Absent:       
Press: iBerkshires and The Courier
                       
Robert read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, July 26, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken. 

Residents, Kendall and Janice Sisson inquired about the progress of repairs on the Sand Mill Bridge.
Paul updated the status and noted that the Town does have the finances for it.  However, the State has to approve the plans.

COA, Anna Farnum and Peter Traub:
- Anna reported that Butch King is assisting her in the cleaning out of one of the offices. 
- There will be a meeting with Kerry Lahey, the newly appointed COA Outreach Worker, on Monday, August 8, 2016.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Mowing Route 116.
- Continuing to clear brush from a recent wind/rain storm.
- Checked Fisher Hills for pot holes.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber: 
- Resident, Peter Franz expressed concern with the Town Hall gutters needing repair and asked if there were plans to address them.
- A Risk and Loss Control grant program is being offered by the Town’s insurer – MIIA.  Mark suggested applying for a Town tree survey/assessment.  MIIA is giving grants of up to $15K with a cap of $10K per item. Applications need to be submitted by October 28th and spent by May 15, 2017.
- Spoke with Travis of the Water Department and he has two quotes in hand for the DEP required master plan and will have a third quote by the end of this week. Commissioners will then review and pass along a recommendation to the Board.
- Spoke with Officer Alibozek about his employment agreement status.  We have a standard agreement that was adopted a few years back for full time officers.  Mark suggested waiting until and if he passes the full time Academy, which he is enrolled in the beginning of November.  It would then, by law, be a one year probationary agreement, with a maximum of up to a 3-year term afterwards.
- Spoke with Julie at Hampshire Council of Governments about the virtual net metering program for Town accounts.  They are reviewing our bills and should have something for the Board at the next meeting.

Police Chief, Timothy Garner:  Submitted the Weekly Report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:  No issues or concerns.

Mail and Correspondence:
- Ray Fisher notified the Board that there will be a lake treatment on August 4, 2016.

Robert:
- Announced renewed confidence after hearing Dr. Putnam’s presentation last week.  He was especially pleased to know that information will be forthcoming regarding decisions.
- Robert would like to review Executive Session minutes.
- Robert will be checking the trash rack for weeds as there is an over abundance.
- Suggested thinking about a Foreman position for when the Highway Superintendent is unavailable.

Mark will be contacting Town Counsel regarding the three to five Selectmen process.

Paul announced an Executive Session for Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 7pm to discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining or litigation if an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the governent’s bargaining or litigating position.  Also, to conduct strategy sessions in preparation for negotiations with non-union personnel; to actually conduct collective bargaining and contract negotiations with non-union personnel.

One Day Liquor Licenses for the Cheshire Rod and Gun Club.  Issued for $150.00

With all business finalized, Paul motioned to adjourn the meeting at 7:30; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken.

Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds


July 26, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Paul F. Astorino, Robert S. Ciskowski and Carol A. Francesconi
Absent:     
Press: iBerkshires
                 
Robert read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, July 19, 2016; Carol accepted as amended; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken. 

Interim Adams-Cheshire Regional School Superintendent, Dr. Putnum addressed the Cheshire Board of Selectman introduce himself and to review his Interim position, goals to accomplish, and the need for better communication with both Towns.  His plans include meeting as many residents as possible to discuss the needs they feel are relevant which will allow him to be successful in the decisions he will be making.
Carol:
- Noted that the Cheshire BOS disliked the fact that they would find out about decisions in the newspaper. Dr. Putnum stated he is always available to meet with people in general and was looking forward to meeting the Cheshire Advisory Board members. Dr. Putnum’s main goal is to improve student learning.  He explained the definitions of Levels 2 and 3.
Robert:
-Troubled by the fact that the override passed the second time and it was mainly for the school.  He noted that positions have been eliminated and feels he doesn’t know what to believe anymore.  He cited two positions eliminated; one technology and one professional development individual. Dr. Putnam said the staff is lean.
Carol:
- Questioned the status of the study the School Committee is performing.
Dr. Putnum:
- “All Towns will be informed of the outcome of the study and there will be information posted on the website.”
Dr. Putnum:
- The biggest decision he is working on is the Budget.  He is dealing with fixed costs going up, negotiations,  and health care.  He is striving to maintain a quality education and for the first thirteen days on the job he has concentrated on taking in all information from both Towns.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- To date Peter has received six (6) requests for Bid packages for the highway truck.
- Submitted a project request for signature for Wells and Windsor Road blacktopping.
- Guy Lewis of Fisher Hill Road report pot holes.
- Paul commended Peter and crew for clearing brush by the river.   
- Noted that the ditch in front of the Gable property had been inspected and he noted it to be clean.



COA, Anna Farnum and Peter Traub:
- Anna requested assistance for trash removal as she is clearing out one of the offices.  Peter will assist. Anna and Peter reviewed their interviewing process for the Outreach Worker for the COA and recommended Kerry Lahey.  Carol motioned to appoint Kerry Lahey as the 20 hour/week COA Outreach Worker; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken. Anna was asked to see if Ms. Lahey will be available in the winter months.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber: 
- Submitted an article from Mass Moments, a story on the 1801 cheese ball shipped to Washington as Western MASS supported newly elected Thomas Jefferson and eastern Mass supported the defeated John Adams.
- Received a copy of the 6th submission to MA DOT Bridge from the Town’s engineers. To date, $23,000 has been paid for professional services for Sand Mill Bridge.
- Request received for the Barn Book from Myron Proper.
- Received educational information from Hampshire Power on their available virtual net metering plan which can be posted on the Towns website. Would like to participated successfully before promoting the program for Town residents.
- Spoke to Travis regarding his submission of a Master Plan for the water system. A DRAFT should be done by October.
- Will work on Carry Forwards next week.

Police Chief, Timothy Garner:  Submitted the Weekly Report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:
- Invited the BOS to attend a viewing of the new election machine in operation on August 24, 2016 from 5:30pm to 7:30pm at the Cheshire Town Hall.

Robert:
- Question if there was a resignation from the Water Department.  Answer:  No changes made.

Mail and Correspondence:
- APEX Cleaning.
- Berkshire Gas.

7:30pm
Paul motioned to go into Executive Session to discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining or litigation if an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the governent’s bargaining or litigating position.  Also, to conduct strategy sessions in preparation for negotiations with non-union personnel; to actually conduct collective bargaining and contract negotiations with non-union personnel and the open meeting at 6:30pm will not continue.
Paul F. Astorino, Yes; Robert S. Ciskowski, Yes; and Carol A. Francesconi, Yes.

With all business finalized, Paul motioned to close the meeting to go into Executive Session at 7:30; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken. The 6:30 meeting will not reopen


Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds

July 19, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Paul F. Astorino and Carol A. Francesconi
Absent: Robert S. Ciskowski      
Press: iBerkshires
                  
Carol read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, July 19, 2016; Paul accepted as presented; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken. 

Resident, Carol F. Dickinson of 322 Lanesborough Road addressed the BOS regarding the fees charged for solar installations.  Wiring Inspector, George Sweet, addressed the concerns and advised that the fees have been in place since October 2015.

Paul: Thanked Corey Swistak and Mike for their emergency efforts at a recent wind/rain storm.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
-  Reported that there will be a truck bid opening on August 23, 2016 at 6:45pm at the BOS meeting.
- Working on storm cleanup on East Main Street (80-90% of the damage) Shadowland and Willowcove had minor damage. Meadowview, Mill Hill, and Furnace also had damage.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber: 
- Spoke with Bruce Agusti from MEMA.  Bruce was able to speak with Corey Swistak last evening for a report on the storm damage and will be her to meet with Peter for a viewing and assessment.  Spoke to Mr. Davis about the damage at his house and confirmed that no Town trees were involved.  Mark noticed some trees in the river that will need to be addressed when time permits.  Spoke to another resident regarding Town funds available for storm clean up.
- Spoke with two residents with questions about the Town’s electric aggregation program and the additional virtual net metering discount opportunity.
- Following up on generator working status.
- Placed Bid Truck ad in The Berkshire Eagle.
- Need to have Peter check on trees in McDonald Brook.
- Submitted revised highway contract.

John Choquette from the Hoosac Valley Motor Cycle Club requested approval for a Adams Motor Cycle Club event on September 17, 2016 at the Saradoff property.  Paul wished Mr. Choquette a safe fun time.

Resident, Peter Traub:
- Reported that there will be interviews for the COA Outreach Worker on July 20, 2016.
- Questioned any changes happening with the 12 South Street property.


Carol:
- Announced an Executive Session on July 26, 2016 at 7:30 at the Town Hall to discuss the Highway Contract.
- Carol requested the posting of an Agenda for the newly formed Cheshire Conservation Commission for Friday, August 5, 2016 at 6:30pm.  The purpose is for organization.

Resident, E. Richard Scholz:
- Requested an update on the expansion for the Select Board. Mr. Scholz was advised to speak with Robert S. Ciskowski as Robert has the guidelines and will be moving forward with the project.
- Additionally, Mr. Scholz wants the Town to be pro active regarding Cheshire School updates.  The Board assured Mr. Scholz that they were in contact with school personnel and the school committee.

Resident, Mike Biagini:
- Requested the BOS to be pro active for grants for a working generator.

Police Chief Garner:  On vacation.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson: No issues or concerns.

Resident, Lynn Clairmont:
- Questioned if brush was going to be cut by Pleasantview & Route 116.  Peter advised that it was on the schedule.

Mail and Correspondence:
- All Energy Solar.  RE: solar permitting fees.

With all business finalized, Paul motioned to close the meeting at 7:30; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken.


Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds


July 12, 2016

6:00 PM

Open business session of regular meeting.


Quorum present: Paul Astorino (PA), Chair, Carol Francesconi (CF), Robert Ciskowski (RC)
Absent:      
Press:
                  
Board reviews and acts on weekly warrants.


6:30 PM

PA calls the regular meeting to order.
RC reads the meeting minutes of July 5, 2016.  CF makes a motion to accept minutes as corrected.  PA seconds the

motion.  Vote taken, 3-0 in favor.

Resident Mr. Jajko, Wells Road, asks if Town has any authority to force people to take care of their properties.  

Although sympathetic, CF responds that no such regulations exist but an upcoming review of Town Bylaws could address

the matter.

Highway Superintendent Peter LeFebvre gives his weekly report.  Specifications for new highway truck are almost

completed and will be ready to put out to bid next week.  Peter provides an overview of the 19,500 GVW vehicle to the

Board.  Peter will be on vacation Friday through Monday of the upcoming week.  A list of duties will be offered to

the Highway Dept. employees; specifically mowing and pothole repair.

Town Administrator Mark Webber gives his weekly report to the Board as follows:
- Spoke with Police Chief regarding failure of new cruiser debt exclusion.  He'll just keep the 2 cruisers going as

best as he can.  Crown Victoria needs some immediate attention that he was deferring until after the vote.

- Processed and files firefighter accident claim with the Town's insurance carrier.  Had been waiting on some forms

to be completed and returned.
- Received the 5th bridge submission on Sand Mill Road bridge between our engineer and the State bridge engineer.  

Gave a copy to Peter.  This most recent exchange seems to focus on shoring, coffer dam and related structural items.

- Received the bond, as required by the Planning Board, for the Bushika solar project.  On Friday the Building

Inspector and Wiring Inspector were told that they could now sign off on the project.

- Received certificate of insurance for use of St Mary's Church for Town approved events.

- Had a discussion with Dr. Putnam, new ACRSD Superintendent.  He's having an initial meeting with Adams town

administrator and one school committee person rhis evening to discuss the Collins Institute study.  We agreed that

subsequent discussions will include representatives(s) from Cheshire.

- Received an official complaint from All Energy Solar about what they feel are high electrical fees for solar

projects.  I forwarded the complaint to Wiring Inspector George Sweet. George's response is given to the Board.

- Received a call from John Choquette, head of the Hoosic Valley motorcycle club seeking permission to hold an event

in Cheshire.  No date given.  He said that they've held the event in past years in Lanesborough.  Called back and

spoke to him and suggested that he give his pitch to the full Board at next week's meeting at 7.  It is to take place

on private property in the vicinity of Farnums.  He agreed.  Phone # 413-358-7000.

- On the never ending paperwork requirements from USDA, I have a revised list for Town Counsel and the Water Dept and

their engineers to gather and get back to the USDA.

- See note from Cemetery Dept on urgent need to replace a piece of equipment. They are requesting a carry forward of

unspent FY'16 appropriation to cover a portion of the cost of the new item.

- Of the 21 statewide projects appearing on the 2016 TIP sheet, 1 is in Berkshire County.  $1.3m improvements to

traffic signals in Pittsfield.


7:00 PM

Representatives from Colonial Power (Mark Cappadona) and Hampshire Council of Governments (Todd Ford) present a new

virtual net metering plan to the Board.  The program, offered through Hampshire Power, is available to all Town

residents and Town buildings accounts and provides for a discount of 15% on both transmission and supply costs on

electric bills.  This discount is available to all who are participating in the Town's community aggregation plan.  

Mr. Ford explains that the cost of subsidizing alternative energy is already built in to everyone's electric bill, so

resident's might as well take advantage of this discount program.  Interested residents will need to contact

Hampshire Power to sign up for the program and enrollees must provide a 6-month notice if they wish to drop out in

the future.  Mr. Ford answers a series of questions from audience members.  Mr. Ford offers to provide program

information to put on the Town's website and is willing to hold a workshop in the future for residents if the Board

wishes.  Board thanks both men for their presentation.

Chief of Police Garner has a general discussion with the board regarding the defeat of the debt excllusion vote for a

replacement cruiser.  Chief requests that FY'16 police operating funds be carried forward for anticipated repairs to

the Crown Victoria cruiser.  Chief is advised that specific bills need to be in play to allow for carry forwards.  

Cheif Garner, in response to comments at a previous Board meeting, notes that the Harbor Master's expenses and time

are paid through the Police Department line items.  Chief agrees that the Harbor Master is doing a great job.  At the

Cheif's request, CF makes a motion to appoint Officer Steven Charron to a 90-day probation period as a regular

officer.PA seconds the motion.  Vote taken, 3-0 in favor.


Water Commissioner Biggs Waterman addressed the Board and notes his displeasure with the 50% reduction in the Water

Department's Licensed Operator line item from $15,000 to $7,500 as voted at the FY 2017 Annual Town Meeting.  Mr.

Waterman states that no one would work for that kind of money.  He states that DEP requires that the Town have

separate people to hold the two required licenses: Operator and Distribution.  Furthermore, DEP, according to Mr.

Waterman, requires back-up license holders for both primary licenses as well.  A heated discussion follows and Mr.

Waterman states that he is prepared to resign as one of the licensed operators and that the DEP will cite the Town

with a non-compliance order. Mr. Waterman also indicates that he will resign as Water Commissioner as well.  Board

suggests that the Commissioners seek out interested license holders for both part time and back up operator

positions. Commissioner Gurney suggests that would be the Board's duty not the Commissioners'. Board suggests two

license holders who may be interested.  A general discussion of water rates follows.  No conclusions are reached on

Mr. Waterman's resignation or required license holders.

CF notes that Diane Hitter, Historic Commission member, is interested in being a membe of the Town's Complete Streets

Committee.

8:00 PM

PA makes a motion to enter executive session per MGL Chapter 30A, Section 21a(2); to discuss strategy with respect to

collective bargaining and not to return to open session upon its conclusion.  CF seconds the motion.  Voice vote

taken: RC, aye; CF, aye; PA, aye.

Executive Session



_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds





July 5, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Paul F. Astorino, Robert S. Ciskowski and Carol A. Francesconi
Absent:      
Press: iBerkshires and The Courier
                  
Robert read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, June 21, 2016; Carol accepted as amended 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.  (The pothole complaint was for Lanesborough Road.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Working on new truck specs.

Carol:
- Noted that the Debt Exclusion vote will take place on Monday, July 11, 2016 from 9am to 7pm at the Cheshire Elementary School.

7:00
Carol motioned to close the Applications for the COA Outreach Worker; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.  Peter Traub notified the BOS that there will be interviews scheduled and multiply town representatives will interview the candidates. Mr. Traub also questioned the BOS wondering if the Harbor Master, Paul Maloney, received a stipend for the excellent service he performs.  In appreciation of the great job he does, Mr. Traub feels he will attempt to find some funding for at least gasoline for the boat.  The BOS concurred that Paul does and outstanding job.

Carol:
- The BOS reviewed and discussed the candidates interested in becoming a member of the Cheshire Conservation Commission.  All candidates were highly qualified in the field of conservation.  The BOS decided to start, with one year appointments, and offer the volunteer appointments to two out of the four candidates.
Appointed was:  Raymond Killeen and Leah Kruszyna. Carol A. Francesconi will remain on the commission as the BOS representative. Paul made a motion to appoint Ms. Kruszyna and Mr. Killeen; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.

Paul:
- Paul noted that four (4) surveillance cameras were delivered and will be installed at the playground at the Cheshire Elementary School possibly by the Cheshire Fire Department.

Mail and Correspondence:
- Invitation from Gailanne Cariddi for the BOS to attend a seminar on Saturday, July 16, 2016 at MCLA.


Town Administrator, Mark Webber: 

Police Chief Garner:   Submitted weekly report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson: No issues or concerns.

7:30
In the interest of resolving an on-going fence issue and at the request of the Cheshire Fence Viewers, the BOS scheduled a meeting with the Cheshire Fence Viewers, Attorney Jeff Grandchamp, and resident,
Edwin Clairmont to discuss on-going fence issues between Edwin Clairmont and Bertrand Beiseigel for this evening.
The Fence Viewers posted a Decision on the issue and believed the issue was resolved.  However, Mr. Clairmont did not agree and is especially critical on the Fence Viewers authority of stating a “Grazing Season” from the first of May to December 1. Mr. Clairmont stated that the Cheshire Fence Viewers have no authority to state a “Grazing Season.”
Fence Viewers Chairman, Mark Warner,  stated that if the Fence Viewers have no authority then the Fence Viewers made a big mistake.  He noted that the Fence Viewing Board has four (4) members and two
want nothing more to do with the issues that have been going on for years.
Clairmont:  After the fence was divided, and the Beiseigel fence remained bad, Mr. Clairmont decided that small claim courts would resolve the issues. In May Mr. Clairmont repaired the fence.  In summer of 2015 he went to small claims court and the court ruled against him.  He notified the Fence Viewers and asked them to view the fence and to see the repairs needed.  He would then go to small claims court for restitution.

Clairmont:
In the fall he called Mark Warner, out of “Grazing Season” and wanted fence maintenance from November to May. Mr. Clairmont stated that there is no law that someone is exempt.  He submitted forms and a letter from his lawyer.  The complaint was that the Beiseigel fence is not in proper condition. The issues have been on-going for seven (7) years.

Clairmont:
Said that the Fence Viewers don’t have to have Beisegel to build a fence like his.  Fences have to be installed for different types of animals. The Fence Viewers can tell the owner what kind of fence can be installed. He
said Mr. Beioseigel was told by the Fence Viewers he is not to build any fence.  Mr. Warner said, “NO.”
Mr. Clairmont wanted to know who is responsible for the twelve (12) foot section.  Mr. Clairmont’s cattle have gotten out twice due to the fence.

Attorney Grandchamp, Attorney for the Town of Cheshire:
Attorney Grandchamp applauded the Cheshire Fence Viewers for taking a practical solution.  The statue does not provide for a season.  The laws go back three (3) hundred years and was for animals straying on to other properties.  He noted that Mr. Beiseigel has no animals.

Attorney Grandchamp reported that he needs to go back in the files before he can advise the town.  The cases go back to 1936, 1950, 2009 (Not a partition case) and older.

Mr. Clairmont wanted to know who is required to maintain the fence.

Attorney Grandchamp inquired if the Fence Viewers were paid $5.00 a visit and noted there was a short time frame to make an appeal.

Carol
Requested to put the issue on hold until the BOS hears back from Attorney Grandchamp.  This will allow
Attorney Grandchamp sufficient time to research M.G.L. Chapter 49 Fences, Fence Viewers, Pounds and Field Drivers.  Specifically;  Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 18 and any other pertinent cases, as he requested.  Another meeting will be scheduled.
** Note:  No documentation was submitted to the BOS.
Mr. Clairmont will receive a copy of the minutes once approved by the BOS.

With all business finalized, Paul motioned to close the meeting at 8:05pm; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken.


Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds


June 28, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Paul F. Astorino, Robert S. Ciskowski and Carol A. Francesconi       
Absent:       
Press: iBerkshires
       
Robert read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, June 21, 2016; Carol accepted as amended 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.  Carol requested the minutes to note that Donna DeFino’s appointment was until the next election as she is replacing Daniel Speth who resigned in May 2016.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre:  On vacation.

Carol:
- Requested a letter be sent to Attorney Kelleher of Kraus and Hummel LLC regarding a letter received regarding the recent rent increase for Pine Valley Mobile Home Park.  Carol wanted it noted that the Rent Control Board at no time was informed that there were renters on 5 year leases at the park.  Additionally, the rent including the $12.00 fee is $275.46. The rent increase applies to all renters.  Leases were not a part of the factor in the rent increase decision.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber: 
- Scheduling a meeting with Mark Capadano for July 12, 2016 at 7:00pm. To discuss Hampshire Power for additional rate discounts on top of our aggregation rate.
- Working on grant of $2,460 for the purchase of updated Police and Fire radios. (EMPG 2016 Grant)
- Becky is on vacation.
- Continuing to work on salary comparison survey.
- Log for department hours/time actually worked to verify and support for town business.
- Will continue to research employee health insurance options.  Currently a family plan could cost the town nearly $18,000 per elected official.  Robert preferred a statement covering all elected officials rather than an individual case by case approval.
- Working on researching examples of past Legislature for changes the Select Board from three (3) to five (5).
Gave Robert copy of Guide to review.
- Received the fourth communication between Foresight Engineering and the State Department of Transportation regarding Sand Mill Road Bridge.
- The Department of Public Works installed a Berkshire United Way book house at Leland Park.  It is a children’s drop off and exchange book project for the summer.
- Working on highway contract regarding vacation time.
- Complaint received regarding the fees for Electrical Inspector’s solar permit fees.

Carol:
- Voiced concerns about Cheshire students opting out of the Adams-Cheshire Regional School District due to the possibility of the elementary school closing.  A decision will happen after a study is completed.

Resident, Richard Jennings:
- Questioned if the mansion on South Street across from the fire station will be torn down.  Carol reported that it could be condemned by the Cheshire Board of Health.  She reminded all that the Cheshire Inn cost the town nearly $50,000.

Carol:
- Showed the BOS an article in the Berkshire Eagle and informed the BOS of a dispute with the Bluebird Farm Animal Sanctuary and Rehabilitation over a dead skunk.  It appears that the skunk was transported from Vermont to a Cheshire site for rehabilitation.  However, the skunk died on the property.  The Cheshire Animal Control Officer gathered the body as it had to be tested for rabies. This action was not done until the Officer received a telephone call from the State Department of Health.  There are concerns as to who is responsible for paying for the $150.00 for the testing.  Carol said, “There are several areas that raise a little concern with us… it’s like saying if a skunk died in my yard the town has to pay for it.”  The concern will be reviewed as the town did not know about the offering at Blue Bird Sanctuary.  Zoning, health issues, and licenses will be
reviewed.

Resident, Rene Martel, 98 West Mountain Road, voiced concerns regarding pot holes on West Mountain Road
and the hopes of repairing the road.

Police Chief Garner:   Submitted weekly report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson: No issues or concerns.

Mail and Correspondence:
- Paul read a letter from Kraus & Hummel LLP dated June 13, 2016 regarding one issue.  “Tenants still under a five year lease cannot have their rents changed”.  In all of the documents received and presentations given, there was never word of any tenants having a five (5) year lease.  Carole H. will write a letter advising of the same information.
- Letter from Barbara Proper requesting an application to become a member of the Cheshire COA Board.  A letter will be written noting that there are, presently, no openings.
- Notification of Pipeline Maintenance Activities – Tennessee Gas Pipeline Company – HMM Project No. 364638AB01.
- State House News Service/Gailanne M. Cariddi.  Update of Highway Funding, Small Bridges Bill on House Agenda.
- Update on scholarships available for students at ACRHS.  Cheshire Grange Scholarship Class 2015 awarded Marissa Felter and Samantha Staffin scholarships. In 2016 there were no students majoring in agriculture or environmental studies.
- Email from Eversource regarding Eversource supply rate changes.

Mail and Correspondence:  continued
- Thank you letter from the Cheshire Library to volunteers who installed the Book House. ) Mr. Peter LeFebvre, Mr. Jack Girard and Mr. Mike Rivera.)

Carole H. informed the BOS that she had scheduled a meeting with Jeff Grandchamp and the Cheshire Fence Viewers for Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 7:30pm.  Carol requested to have E. Clairmont also invited.

With all business finalized, Paul motioned to close the meeting at 7:49pm; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.
       

Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds