Selectmen's Weekly Minutes

Listing of the Board of Selectmen's Weekly Meeting Minutes.  Click HERE to view list of posted Agendas

Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes
April 26, 2016

6:00 PM: Open Meeting.
Quorum present: Carol Francesconi (CF), Chair; Paul Astorino (PA); Robert Ciskowski (RC).

Board conducts its business session by reviewing and acting on weekly warrants and reviewing mail and correspondence.

6:30 PM:

CF opens the regular meeting and notes that the April 19, 2016 meeting minutes will be available and read at the May 3, 2016 Board meeting.

CF states that she received a call from the Council on Aging with their recommendation to appoint Michelle Dargie as the new Senior Aide. CF motions to accept the COA's recommendation. PA seconds the motion. Vote taken, 3-0 in favor.

CF reads a letter from Berkshire Regional Planning Commission (BRPC) informing the Board of Kinder Morgan's suspension of their FERC gas pipeline construction application know as Northeast Direct.

CF reads a MA DOT bridge report issued for Sand Mill Road bridge. Highway Superintendent Peter LeFebvre notes that the report is accurate and notes that the site is properly posted.

Highway Superintendent Peter LeFebvre (PL) gives his weekly report. PL discusses a driveway permit application located near the intersection of Windsor and Notch Roads. PL includes a MEMO specifying his recommendations and conditions for approval (attached).

PL spoke with a structural engineer regarding concerns about the condition of Stafford Hill Monument. PL states that the monument appears to be deteriorating and seems that more cracks are appearing. Board agrees that it would be a good idea to get a report.

Town Administrator Mark Webber gives his weekly report, as follows:

- John Alvarez of the Governor's office called today to invite Cheshire to the Community Compact signing ceremony to be held on May 17th at 1:00 PM at Pittsfield City Hall. Lt  Governor Polito, along with area legislators will be attending. Signing municipalities are: Cheshire, Williamstown, Pittsfield and Hinsdale. Select board Chair or their designee is expected to attend in order to sign. I executed the award contract today. Carole to make a copy and mail original back to Boston.
- Spoke with BRPC and asked about Cheshire's funding share of the Pipeline Working Group now that the pipeline is dead. Tom suggested that we move the $15,000 pledged amount sideways and re-designate it towards the Master Plan project. Need to check if that appropriation is still in place. If so, we can avoid appropriating our $10,000 share towards the master plan at the June town meeting.

- The USDA water loan/grant closing is still on for Thursday. Need one more document from Water Commissioners, which needs to be scanned and emailed this evening. Money will be wire transferred to Town bank accounts on Thursday as well. Drove up to Ed St John's office to drop off one more document for him to sign and am still waiting for the ones I gave him last week. Those documents need to be in Hadley no later than Thursday am and hopefully before.

- Had a good meeting last Thursday at DEP/Springfield. Peter attended as well. They were very helpful and receptive to decommissioning the dam and Kitchen Brook reservoir as a back up water supply. They said it was effectively decommissioned in their view a number of years ago when the storage tank and wells were installed. They offered coordination and technical assistance with Nick Wildman's office. Catherine Skiba will be mailing me a recap of the meeting's discussion with items to consider going forward.
- Received a note from Berkshire Environmental Team saying that they have a donation to offer the Town to put up Turtle Crossing Signs on Lanesboro Road about 500' from Route 8, otherwise known as the 'turtle killing zone'.

- Met with Bill Craig for a review/discussion on FY 2017 town budget. The plan is to have everything finalized by May 10 and to have a joint meeting with the Advisory Board on May 17th. The Selectmen could begin reviewing the budget next week.

Chief of Police Garner introduces Trisha Carlo and recommends that she be appointed as a part-time police officer. She is currently the Town of Savoy Police Chief and all certifications are current. CF makes a motion to approve Chief Garner's recommendation to appoint Trisha Carol. PA seconds the motion. Vote taken, 2-1 with RC voting no.

Audience member asks whether the $15,000 appropriated for the Town's membership in the BRPC sponsored Pipeline Working Group could be applied towards the cost of the Town's Master Plan, which BRPC is also coordinating. CF responds that the Board hopes to save the cost of the anticipated $10,000 Master Plan appropriation at the upcoming Annual Town Meeting by transferring that unspent appropriation but needs to check with the Town's Auditor on the proper procedural steps.

PA states that the Cheshire Little League field concession stand was left spotless after baseball season but was left a mess after one of the next groups using the facility. He notes that there are a lot of keys to the building floating around and that the locks should be changed and that a Board member should check the building at the end of each season.

Dan Spieth, Planning Board Chair, discusses the Board's desire to recognize Bernie Bator's several years of service on the Planning Board in an appropriate manner. Following a discussion, it is decided that a presentation will be made at the Annual Town Meeting in June. Dan notes that the his Board has scheduled a Special Permit Hearing for May 23rd to hear and act upon an application submitted by Dollar General for the construction of a store on North State Road.

7:40 PM: There being no additional business to come before the Board, PA makes a motion to adjourn the meeting.

CF seconds the motion. Vote taken, 3-0 in favor.


Meeting Minutes approved by:


Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman
Paul F. Astorino, Clerk
Robert S. Ciskowski, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds

 

April 19, 2016
6:30PM
                                            

In Attendance: Carol A. Francesconi, Paul F. Astorino, and Robert S. Ciskowski

Press: iberkshires and The Courier

Paul read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, April 12, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken. 

Carol reported that the COA chairman recommended that Mr. Donald Pulver be appointed to the newly
Created vacancy on the board.  Carol motioned to appoint Donald Pulver to the COA; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.

Town Counsel, E. St. John III
- Discussed questions presented to the Pine Valley Mobile Home Park attorney at the Continuation Hearing.
St. John's opinions regarding the reasonable operating expenses for two employees was discussed as well as legal fees, and the $15,961 for New England Environmental services.  Again, substantial evidence must
be documented.  The formula for a rent increase was reviewed.
- St. John will create a warrant for changing the Cheshire Conservation Commission to one (1) Selectman and two (2) members.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Driveway permit on hold.
- Discussed the Stafford Hill Monument and the need for repairs.  A structural engineer will be needed.  Peter will follow up on this project.
- Pilot light leak at the town shed.  Hot water tank replacement needed. Peter proposed a tankless or electric unit for 5-10 gallons.  He will check into the most economical unit and report back to the BOS.

Peter Traub:
- Discussed the discrepancies in the job description for the Senor Aide and the Outreach Worker.  It was noted that the outreach worker is funded 100% through the State.  A job description was agreed upon and the grant will pay for the advertising.

Master Plan Committee, E. St. John IV
- Reported that over 300 Cheshire citizens have completed the recent Master Plan survey.  Results will be forthcoming sometime this summer.  The committee will be working on a warrant article for funding to continue working on the plan at the upcoming annual meeting.  Mark Webber noted that a request from the town will be $10K; $15K is coming from the Compact and $5K from BRPC services.

Carol:  Creighton project; all ok according to Order of Conditions.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
 -Submitted the proposed warrant article re establishment of conservation commission:
“To see if the Town will accept the provisions of Massachusetts General Laws, chapter 40, section 8C and establish a conservation commission, consisting of not less than three members, appointed by the Town Administrator and subject to ratification by the Board of Selectmen, with members initially appointed for one, two and three year staggered terms and with one member being a member of the Board of Selectmen or take any action in relation thereto.”  Carol noted that the commission was already established and requested the word from establish be changed to reorganized.  Mark will make the change.
- Signage will take place on April 28, 2016 for the closing of the USDA water grant/loan.
- Commonwealth Community Compact has approved a $15K grant for the Cheshire Master Plan project.
- EPA has approved the latest version of the NPDES storm water permit program.
- Received a letter from Representative Gailanne Cariddi regarding a letter she sent to the MA DOT/Bridge Engineers asking them to expedite the design approval.
- Met with Bill Craig of the Advisory Board to review budget items, levy limit calculations and finalized numbers.
- Set up an account with the Complete Streets program.  Following DOT review and hopeful approval, we move to Tier 2 status where we will be eligible for up to $50K in technical assistance to develop a project prioritization plan.
- Met with Ed Sedarbaum, who received a grant from the Barrett Fund to do outreach for the senior LGBT community of Cheshire, Adam, and Savoy. 
- Mark and Bill recommended 2.5% raises.  Water Superintendent cannot carry over vacation time and can pay 25% of insurance.

Taking Shape, Owner Jim Czarnecki
- Presented to the BOS a new business concept for Cheshire in guided outdoor adventures in the Berkshires.

Police Chief Garner:   Submitted weekly report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:
- Submitted the Warrant for the upcoming Cheshire Annual Town Election for the BOS to sign.

Mail and Correspondence: 
- Gailanne Cariddi concerning the Mohawk Trail Woodlands Partnership Plan; Cheshire support appreciated.

Resident, Eileen Quinn:
- Requested the Cheshire BOS to send a letter of support regarding the Massachusetts House Bill 2870 and Senate Bill 1768.  “An Act Relative to Protecting Consumers of Gas and Electricity from paying for Leaked and Unaccounted for Gas.”  “An Act Relative to Gas Leak Repairs During Road Projects.”  A letter will be sent to
House Speaker Robert A. DeLeo, Senate Present Stanley C. Rosenberg, and to Governor Baker.

Cheshire Annual Town Election
Monday, May 2nd, 2016
Polls open:  9:00am to 7:00pm
Cheshire Community/Senior Center
119 School Street
To elect:
    One Moderator for a term of three years
    One Board of Selectmen Member for a term of three years
    One Board of Assessors Member for a term of three years
    One Board of Health Member for a term of three years
    One Cemetery Commissioner for a term of three years
    One Water Commissioner for a term of three years
    One Planning Board Member for a term of five years
    One Planning Board Member for a term of two years

    One Adams-Cheshire Regional School District School Committee Member from Cheshire for a
    term of three years

    Two Adams-Cheshire Regional School District School Committee Members from Adams for a term of     three years each

    OApril 19, 2016
6:30PM
                                           
In Attendance: Carol A. Francesconi, Paul F. Astorino, and Robert S. Ciskowski

Press: iberkshires and The Courier

Paul read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, April 12, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.

Carol reported that the COA chairman recommended that Mr. Donald Pulver be appointed to the newly
Created vacancy on the board.  Carol motioned to appoint Donald Pulver to the COA; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.

Town Counsel, E. St. John III
- Discussed questions presented to the Pine Valley Mobile Home Park attorney at the Continuation Hearing.
St. John's opinions regarding the reasonable operating expenses for two employees was discussed as well as legal fees, and the $15,961 for New England Environmental services.  Again, substantial evidence must
be documented.  The formula for a rent increase was reviewed.
- St. John will create a warrant for changing the Cheshire Conservation Commission to one (1) Selectman and two (2) members.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre:
- Driveway permit on hold.
- Discussed the Stafford Hill Monument and the need for repairs.  A structural engineer will be needed.  Peter will follow up on this project.
- Pilot light leak at the town shed.  Hot water tank replacement needed. Peter proposed a tankless or electric unit for 5-10 gallons.  He will check into the most economical unit and report back to the BOS.

Peter Traub:
- Discussed the discrepancies in the job description for the Senor Aide and the Outreach Worker.  It was noted that the outreach worker is funded 100% through the State.  A job description was agreed upon and the grant will pay for the advertising.

Master Plan Committee, E. St. John IV
- Reported that over 300 Cheshire citizens have completed the recent Master Plan survey.  Results will be forthcoming sometime this summer.  The committee will be working on a warrant article for funding to continue working on the plan at the upcoming annual meeting.  Mark Webber noted that a request from the town will be $10K; $15K is coming from the Compact and $5K from BRPC services.

Carol:  Creighton project; all ok according to Order of Conditions.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
 -Submitted the proposed warrant article re establishment of conservation commission:
“To see if the Town will accept the provisions of Massachusetts General Laws, chapter 40, section 8C and establish a conservation commission, consisting of not less than three members, appointed by the Town Administrator and subject to ratification by the Board of Selectmen, with members initially appointed for one, two and three year staggered terms and with one member being a member of the Board of Selectmen or take any action in relation thereto.”  Carol noted that the commission was already established and requested the word from establish be changed to reorganized.  Mark will make the change.
- Signage will take place on April 28, 2016 for the closing of the USDA water grant/loan.
- Commonwealth Community Compact has approved a $15K grant for the Cheshire Master Plan project.
- EPA has approved the latest version of the NPDES storm water permit program.
- Received a letter from Representative Gailanne Cariddi regarding a letter she sent to the MA DOT/Bridge Engineers asking them to expedite the design approval.
- Met with Bill Craig of the Advisory Board to review budget items, levy limit calculations and finalized numbers.
- Set up an account with the Complete Streets program.  Following DOT review and hopeful approval, we move to Tier 2 status where we will be eligible for up to $50K in technical assistance to develop a project prioritization plan.
- Met with Ed Sedarbaum, who received a grant from the Barrett Fund to do outreach for the senior LGBT community of Cheshire, Adam, and Savoy.
- Mark and Bill recommended 2.5% raises.  Water Superintendent cannot carry over vacation time and can pay 25% of insurance.

Taking Shape, Owner Jim Czarnecki
- Presented to the BOS a new business concept for Cheshire in guided outdoor adventures in the Berkshires.

Police Chief Garner:   Submitted weekly report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:
- Submitted the Warrant for the upcoming Cheshire Annual Town Election for the BOS to sign.

Mail and Correspondence:
- Gailanne Cariddi concerning the Mohawk Trail Woodlands Partnership Plan; Cheshire support appreciated.

Resident, Eileen Quinn:
- Requested the Cheshire BOS to send a letter of support regarding the Massachusetts House Bill 2870 and Senate Bill 1768.  “An Act Relative to Protecting Consumers of Gas and Electricity from paying for Leaked and Unaccounted for Gas.”  “An Act Relative to Gas Leak Repairs During Road Projects.”  A letter will be sent to
House Speaker Robert A. DeLeo, Senate Present Stanley C. Rosenberg, and to Governor Baker.

Cheshire Annual Town Election
Monday, May 2nd, 2016
Polls open:  9:00am to 7:00pm
Cheshire Community/Senior Center
119 School Street
To elect:
    One Moderator for a term of three years
    One Board of Selectmen Member for a term of three years
    One Board of Assessors Member for a term of three years
    One Board of Health Member for a term of three years
    One Cemetery Commissioner for a term of three years
    One Water Commissioner for a term of three years
    One Planning Board Member for a term of five years
    One Planning Board Member for a term of two years

    One Adams-Cheshire Regional School District School Committee Member from Cheshire for a
    term of three years

    Two Adams-Cheshire Regional School District School Committee Members from Adams for a term of     three years each

    One Northern Berkshire Vocational School Committee Member from Cheshire for a term of three years

    Three Constables for a term of three years each

Non-binding Public Opinion Question:
- Shall the Town of Cheshire change the Board of Selectmen from three members to five members?
                                    Yes  ____________    No  ____________

With all business finalized, Carol motioned to close the meeting at 7:40pm; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.

Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen's Secretarye Northern Berkshire Vocational School Committee Member from Cheshire for a term of three years

    Three Constables for a term of three years each

Non-binding Public Opinion Question:
- Shall the Town of Cheshire change the Board of Selectmen from three members to five members?
                                    Yes  ____________    No  ____________

With all business finalized, Carol motioned to close the meeting at 7:40pm; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.

Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen's Secretary

April 12, 2016

6:30PM

In Attendance: Carol A. Francesconi, and Robert S. Ciskowski
Absent: Paul F. Astorino
Press: iBerkshires and The Courier
       

Carol:
- Updated the audience regarding the April 11, 2016 Continuation Hearing for the Pine Valley Mobile Home Rent Increase Petition.  She stated that the Hearing was continued again for Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 7:00PM
at the Town Hall. At that time there will be no public input but both attorney’s will be allowed to answer the
questions from the April 11th meeting.  A Rent Control Board Decision would then be forthcoming.

Carol questioned Town Counsel as to the procedure for changing the Cheshire Conservation Commission from three (3) Selectmen to two (2) appointed members from the community and one (1) Selectmen.  Town Counsel will report back to the Board.
Carol also questioned Executive Session minutes and the availability for public viewing.  Town Counsel stated that if the concerns or issues are resolved they can be made available for viewing.  It was decided to have the last two (2) years available and to have them delivered to St. John to review.  For viewing copies would have to be made and should an individual’s name or address show, it would have to be blacked out.

Paul read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, April 5, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken. 

Resident, Eileen Quinn presented the BOS with information regarding officially supporting House Bills regarding gas leak repairs etc.  The BOS will review and will discuss next week.

Resident Creighton:
A site visit will be made on Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 6pm.  The BOS asked that the house diameter be staked.

Peter Traub:
- Reported that approximately 330 surveys have been returned.

Cheshire Planning Board Chairman, Daniel Speth:
- Recommended Donna DeFino as the Cheshire Planning Board Alternative.  Carol made a motion to accept Dan’s recommendation; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.
- Briefly discussed Bohler Engineering/Dollar General presentation at the March meeting.


Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Discussed Windsor Road/Notch Road driveway (shared driveway.)  Peter reported to Robert that he wants conditions on the driveway
- All ok.

Resident, Mr. Jennings:
-Questioned if the Dollar General was located by the O’Connell Convenience.  The answer was yes on the opposite side where there are survey ribbons.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Delivered three (3) past reports that the town had commissioned for storm water related studies to the BRPC.  Met with Tom Matuszko and emphasized that the Town has spent a lot of money on reports and does not wish to continuing doing so to satisfy the NPDES. Also spoke to Tom about the Complete Streets program.  If approved, Cheshire would have to establish a “Complete Streets Committee.”
- Received follow up information from Sand Mill Bridge engineer, Steve Mack, which Boston BOT bridge office had requested.  Copy to Peter for review and comment.  Note sent to Representative Cariddi informing her that the design is under review and any assistance for approval would be appreciated.
- Explained to several calls about the process for the electric aggregation.
- Continued with modifications/updates to the Water Department Enterprise accounting exchange per Water Commissioners request.
- Additional information sent to Len at USDA/RD.  Closing will take place for April 28, 2016.  The USDA interest rate dropped to 2.25% from 2.75%.
- Meeting with Catherine Skiba at DEP/Springfield regarding a meeting on April 21st. at 1:30 in Springfield.
The group meeting is familiar with a similar process used for Thunder Brook dam removal.  Mark requested Peter to also attend due to his technical expertise.  (Late day notification received that the date has to be rescheduled.)
- Met with the Town Administrator of Adams to discuss the school district.  Agreed that Adams would attempt to use their Community Compact award to fund a 3rd party study/analysis of school closing/reconfiguration options. The precise study/charge would be reviewed and approved by both towns Boards of Selectmen before being finalized.  Also spoke about the possibility of sharing of services with COA personnel.
- In the process of preparing for the purchase of a voting machine.
- Working on workmen’s compensation case.

Police Chief Garner:   Submitted weekly report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson: No issues or concerns.


Mail and Correspondence: 
- Received a Letter of Resignation from Karmen Field-Mitchell from the COA.  Carol accepted the resignation with regret and noted the fine job Karmen did while in the position; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.

Robert:
- Noted three (3) street lights out and he will report them to the electric company.

With all business finalized, Carol motioned to close the meeting at 8:02pm; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.


Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman
Paul F. Astorino, Clerk
Robert S. Ciskowski, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds



April 5, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Carol A. Francesconi, and Robert S. Ciskowski
Absent:    Paul F. Astorino
Press: iBerkshires and The Courier
       
Robert read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, March 29, 2016; Carol accepted as presented. A unanimous vote was taken. 

CCC Field Trip on Saturday, April 2, 2016 at 9:30am to 58 Fales Road.
- Carol reported no conservation issues.  The BOS discussed the Notch Road driveway that intersects with Windsor Road.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- No issues or concerns.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Heat malfunction at the police station.  The problem was repaired by replacing a circulator pump.
- Met with Anna Farnum of the COA regarding the hiring process for the position of Senior Aide. The COA Board will meet on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 to review applicants, schedule interviews, and make a decision for a recommendation to the Board of Selectmen.
- Met with Advisory Board Chair, Bill Craig to review department budgets as submitted.  The Advisory Board will hold a meeting on April 5, 2016.
- Brian Harrington of DEP is scheduling a meeting in Springfield regarding Kitchen Brook Dam.
- Received a request from Jim Reynolds requesting a Town’s 1986 Open Space Plan.  He questioned if it might be on the website as well as minutes from the Cheshire Master Plan Committee.  Mark will be following up on a response.
- In contact with Michelle Reid at EOEA regarding the Town’s Community Compact application seeking funding assistance for a Master Plan.  Mark requested that $15K go towards the plan.  BRPC would award $5K through their DLTA funding and the Town would appropriate $10K at the annual town meeting. 
- Tom Matuszko noted that 254 survey responses had been received completed.
- Mark reported that Colonial Power said that they submitted press releases to the Berkshire Eagle, iberkshires and The Berkshire Courier.
- Need to post the following meeting:  April 19, 2016 7:30pm: “Act on the approval of a loan with the U.S. Rural Development Administration and the execution of documents”.  The final closing date is April 28, 2016.
- Requested Carol to sign a formality metering agreement with Kirt Mayland.
- Will be in contact with Town Counsel regarding workmen’s compensation and provisions to allow a carry forward unused vacation time concern.
- Spoke with Mellissa at BRPC about studies related to NPDES over the years on storm water studies.  Mark will be dropping the reports off at the BRPC office in Pittsfield.

Resident, Jason Mendonca:
- Inquired about the ACRSD Agreement; when the Agreement was made; and where it stands now with the possibility of restructuring of the district.  Mr. Mendonca offered to work on a committee. He also noted that Cheshire is outnumbered on the Board.
- Mr. Mendonca also questioned the process for signing up with Colonial Power.  Mark reviewed the process and suggested he call his company to see if there would be penalties for opting out.

COA, Anna Farnum:
- Reviewed the process for hiring a Senior Aide, and what the responsibilities were for the position.

Police Chief Garner:   Submitted weekly report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson: No issues or concerns.

Carol:
- Will contact the John Leland project overseer to go over the plans they emailed.

Mail and Correspondence: 
- Letter of introduction from the Law Office of Kathleen E. Degnan, Esq.
- Letter from Gailanne M. Cariddi regarding Cheshire’s support for S.2109, An Act establishing the paint stewardship program.

With all business finalized, Carol motioned to close the meeting at 8:00pm; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.

Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman
Paul F. Astorino, Clerk
Robert S. Ciskowski, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds




March 29, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Carol A. Francesconi, Paul F. Astorino, and Robert S. Ciskowski
Absent:       
Press: iBerkshires
   
Paul read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, March 22, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Robert.  A unanimous vote was taken. 

Resident, Donald Pulver:
- Submitted his letter of interest for a position on the Council on Aging Council.  Carol said she would have to see if there was an opening and would get back to Mr. Pulver.

Carol:
- Reported that she had a conversation with Mark Cappadona regarding the best way to go with the Aggregation monthly plan.  After the discussion Carol contacted the other two members of the board and a decision was made to change from the eighteen (18) month plan to the six (6) and twelve (12) month plan.
- Carol, in her research of the Enduring Freedom names noted that Veteran’s were from 2001-2014 and had to be deployed from Cheshire to military service.

Berkshire Regional Planning Commission, Aging in Place Representative, Celeste Harp:
- Presented a brief synopsis of upcoming meetings at the end of May to discuss older adults in Berkshire County and to better understand the needs of the elderly such as granny apartments, transportation, and developing bylaws.  At this time, Ms. Harp is visiting all towns in an effort to start networking connections.
- Robert noted that the Cheshire Master Plan Committee has an electronic and hard copy survey and he felt when tabulation it should answer some of the elderly needs.

CCC Field Trip on Saturday, April 2, 2016 at 9:30am to 58 Fales Road.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- All ok.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Received a report from the engineer’s hired by Nick Wildman at the State’s Division of Ecological Restoration regarding the status of Kitchen Brook dam.  Mr. Wildman said he felt we might expect to be going forward. Mark contacted Hoora and they have pledged their support for the project.  Nick said that it would be critical to get the DEP approval for the removal of the reservoir’s current status as a backup water supply.  This is essential for the DCR if the town continues with the sale of a portion of the land to the state.  Contacted Brian Harrington of the DEP for assistance in moving this forward.
- Received a few more applications for the Senior Aide position for the COA.  Mark will seek a recommendation from the COA for one or two finalists.
- Spoke to the Adams COA Director and they are interested in discussing possible sharing with COA personnel. Mark will review the COA’s needs.
- Completed accident report forms for the snowplow accident that Peter reported at last week’s meeting.
- Contacted Elder Services regard a grant agreement which will supply partial funding for the COA position for the next three (3) years.  Cheshire is acting as the lead agency for a few area towns.
- Following up with Len at USDA, Tighe and Bong and the Town’s financial advisor regarding the finalizing of the loan/grant.  The final closing should take place in mid-April.  Town Counsel has to provide a few more items.
- The Town’s Community Compact application has been approved. A formal signing is up coming.
- Pleased that the BOS favored the split pricing with Colonial Power/Mark Cappadona.  Carole H. will post information on the website on Friday.
- Working on the FY 2017 budget.  Copies of department budgets will be given the Bill Craig and the Advisory Board for their review.
- Water Department Superintendent signed his employment agreement.  The BOS needs to approve and a copy will go to Becky.

Carol:
- Updated the BOS that maintenance of all Town Buildings allows the individual ten (10) hours.  She will be checking into a letter received regarding the Cheshire Community Center’s maintenance needs.
- Carol will visit Dave Hinkell on March 30, 2016/
- Received a call from Fred Balawender regarding trees in streams.  Peter ok’d the project.
- Eversource will be holding a question and answer presentation on April 14, 2016 at Mazzeo’s Restaurant.
-  Requested a letter be drafted to the Business Manager of ACRSD regarding the cost benefit analysis and the pros and cons of eliminating one elementary school in the district.

Police Chief Garner:   Submitted weekly report.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson: no issues or concerns.

Robert:
- Attended a recent dinner held at Bass Water Grill by the Shriner’s.  The Town of Cheshire received a Certificate of Appreciation.

Mail and Correspondence: 
- Letter from ACRSD with the Total FY2017 Assessment of $2,640,065.

With all business finalized, Carol motioned to close the meeting at 7:30pm; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.

Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman
Paul F. Astorino, Clerk
Robert S. Ciskowski, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds                                   




March 22, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Carol A. Francesconi, Paul F. Astorino, and Robert S. Ciskowski
Absent:       
Press:       
Paul read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, March 15, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Robert.  A unanimous vote was taken. 

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Accident on Windsor Road.  Town truck was stopped and an individual drove into the plow.
- Updated the BOS on the health status of a highway employee.
- Carol requested the checking of catch basins on Wells Road.

Peter Traub, COA:
- Carol asked for a clear job description for the position of Cheshire Senior Aide for the Cheshire Community Center.  The position will be for nineteen (19) hours at the minimum wage rate.  He noted that there is no director.  Two applications have been received to this date.
- Robert questioned is there was a grant to support the position or if the Town was paying.  Peter reported the salary is a combination of both.  There remains to be some questions regarding the present employee.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Attended the NPDES session at BRPC last Wednesday. A survey will be coming out shortly for the Town to complete which will determine what services BRPC can assist with.
- Met with Tom Matuszko and completed the Community Compact application seeking funding assistance towards a Cheshire Master Plan.
- Ordered two (2) U.S. Flags for town hall and the police station.
- Chief Garner reported that he received notice that Officer Alibozek was granted a waiver from the full time police academy allowing him to work full time until he goes to the academy.
- Received a probable cost estimate from engineer Steve Mack for the Sand Mill Bridge repair.  This will be a temporary fix but should serve its purpose for a number of years.  Approximate cost: $238K. The Bushika solar project is anticipated to be complete by the end of April.
- Sent out three (3) more COA Senior Aide job descriptions.  Reported that the Town of Adams COA Administrator wishes to discuss/investigate sharing/collaboration with the Adams COA.
- Spoke to Jennifer Howard at DCR about the Town land abutting the Greylock Reservation.  The State is still interested with continued research needed.  If approved, the appraised price would be the purchase price.  Parallel to this process would be the Article 97 process to remove the land’s watershed status through legislation.  A formal opinion from DEP that the land no longer serves its watershed intent needs to be obtained.
- Decision is needed on the Colonial Power/Cheshire Aggregation plan. After a lengthy discussion, Paul motioned to go with the eighteen (18) month plan; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken. Robert noted that our power will be green and that is an important fact for many residents.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber;  continued

“National Grid has announced their summer pricing which begins May and ends October 31, 2016. NationalGrid residential rate will be 8.042 cents/kWh.  Originally, Cheshire’s eighteen (18) month rate (beginning May 1) was to have been 8.734 cents/kWh.  Initially, that rate would be higher than NationalGrid’s summer rate.  But would, we assume, be lower than NationalGrid’s winter rate beginning in November 2016.  Keep in mind that even with the proposed Cheshire split rate of 6 and 12 months, the aggregate rate would still be exactly what was proposed and agreed to several weeks ago – 8.734 cents/kWh

Police Chief Garner:   Submitted weekly report.
- Briefly discussed police coverage.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:
- Requested a tabulation election machine costing between $8K and $10K.
- Chris will be checking further into the names of Enduring Freedom Veteran’s to be placed on the Town Veteran’s Memorial.  When research is completed, the stone cutter will be scheduled.
- Requested license numbers and EIN numbers for all business licenses issued for 2016.

Carol
- Requesting Attorney St. John III to attend the Selectmen’s meeting on April 12, 2016 to review the writing of an article for one Selectmen and two other individual’s to be on the Cheshire Conservation Commission. This change would be from having the three (3) Selectmen on the Commission.
- Noted that the Wednesday, March 23, 2016 Rent Control Continuation Hearing was cancelled by Pine Valley Mobile Home Park Attorney, Joseph Kelleher.  The new date is April 11, 2016 at 7pm at the Cheshire Community Center.  All residents will be notified by Attorney Kelleher.

Cheshire Water Department, Francis Waterman:
- Discussed water usage and meter readings for town buildings.

Mail and Correspondence:   
- Telephone message from the Baptist Revival regarding a sign for John Leland.
- Advisory from the ABCC regarding Powdered Alcohol. “The Act prohibits anyone, including all licensees in the Commonwealth, from selling, manufacturing, and/or possessing powdered alcohol.  The violation of this law is now punishable by a fine of not less than $100 and up to $1,000.”


With all business finalized, Carol motioned to close the meeting at 8:21pm; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.

Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman
Paul F. Astorino, Clerk
Robert S. Ciskowski, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds