Selectmen's Weekly Minutes

Listing of the Board of Selectmen's Weekly Meeting Minutes.  Click HERE to view list of posted Agendas

March 8, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Carol A. Francesconi, Paul F. Astorino, and Robert S. Ciskowski
Absent:       
Press: iBerkshires and The Courier
Paul read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, March 1, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Paul.  A unanimous vote was taken. 

Carol:
- Requested Town Accountant to submit a breakdown of Selectmen expenses.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- No issues or concerns.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Discussed Cheshire's ACRSD FY 2017 $53,587 assessment increase.  Mark noted that Adams is reduced by $74,763.  He will be meeting with Bill Craig to review the budget report.  The increase is approximately one-half of the Town's additional available levy increase from year to year, which coincides with the District accounting for about one-half of the town's budget.
- The Water Department's pickup truck was ordered with a six (6) week delivery.
- Sent additional requested information to Len at USDA.  The Town's financial advisor and bond counsel are finalizing loan documents.  The final split will be $455,000 loan and $150,440 grant.
- Received the following information from Colonial Power:
  1. They are finalizing the consumer notification postcards that will be sent to every basic service customer in Cheshire; the BOS will proof it before it is mailed
  2. The approved copy will then be posted on the Town website and appropriate spots elsewhere
  3. They will provide us with a public service announcement that can be run on the local access cable TB channel and posted on the Town website
  4. They will place articles in the local newspapers
  5. They plan to ask the Town to host a public informational meeting which Colonial will attend.
- Peter Traub submitted a job description for the position of Senior Aid at the COA.  The advertisement will be in the Friday, March 11, 2016 edition of The Berkshire Eagle.
- MIIA sent a schedule of Hoisting License Renewal Trainings to be held this month with four (4) dates in Athol and Woburn.
- The BRPC NPDES working group will meet on Wednesday, March 16, 2016.
- Continuing to work on the FY 2017 budget.
- Received a notice from Gail Cariddi regarding feeding fowl.  The case for legislation failed. Representative Cariddi noted that she was able to contact the appropriate state individuals regarding selling land to the State.  Mark will follow up.
- MIIA dam inspection took place.  Report requested.
- Spoke with individual seeking a seasonal All Alcoholic Liquor License and suggested the procedures to follow.


7:00PM Verizon Pole Hearing:
- Carol read the Stafford Hill Verizon request to approve the placement of a utility pole. After reviewing the request with no objections from abutters, Paul motioned to approve the placement with a unanimous vote taken.

BRPC assistant director, Thomas Matuszko, presented an overview of the Mohawk Trail Woodlands Partnership (MTWP).  This initiative will form a public-private collaboration of 21 towns across the state's northwestern tier to foster both conservation of forest resources and sustainable economic development based on the woodlands.  A Mohawk Trail Woodlands Partnership Draft Business Plan and a November 2015
Update was submitted for the public to view at the Cheshire Town Clerk's Office.  Resident, Fred Jayko, supported the initiative.  Going forward the group wants to develop the best forestry plans for revenue, would like to create an advising board, and develop a solid proposal for legislature for the twenty-one (21) towns.  Additionally, if the state legislation passes, BRPC will ask the state and federal government for $25 million to be placed in a trust fund.  Mr. Matuszko requested the Town to write letters to support the preparation and adoption of legislation to: Senator Ben Downing, Senator Stan Rosenberg, Representative Gail Cariddi, Representative Paul Mark, and Representative Stephen Kulik. Paul motioned to write the letters of support at this time, 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.
- Also discussed was the Community Compact. The Community Compact is a voluntary, mutual agreement entered into between the Baker-Polito Administration and individual cities and towns of the Commonwealth.  In a Community Compact, a community will agree to implement at least one best practice that they select from across a variety of areas.  The community's chosen best practice(s) will be reviewed between the Commonwealth and the municipality to ensure that the best practice(s) chosen are unique to the municipality and reflect needed areas of improvement.  Once approved, the written agreement will be generated and signed by both the municipality and the Commonwealth.  The Compact also articulates the commitment the Commonwealth will make on behalf of all communities' BRPC.

Robert:
- Voiced the need to improve on the BOS Agenda to reflect what we expect to happen at the BOS meetings.
- Questioned who decides which police academy and individual attends.  Noted that he abstained from the vote for a Full Time Police Officer during a recent Executive Session.  Robert requested the release of Executive Session minutes after the issue has passed.
- Robert reminded the BOS that the attorney general's office did not approve the changing from three (3) to five (5) Selectmen last year. He made a motion to contact legislators to start the process.  There was no second. He felt he knows what townspeople want as he felt the vote of 100 yes and 77 no was a resounding indication.
Carol, felt that it was not a good indication of what the people of Cheshire want.  As 100 votes versus 2,000 registered voters does not sound resounding.
Robert: Stated that, If the article had been written correctly, they would be working on the change right now.
Paul: Stated that he felt the BOS was running properly as is.  Negative comments were made between Robert and Paul.
Robert: Stated that he will bring the motion up every week.
- Town Clerk:  Suggested putting a non-binding question on the next election ballot to truly understand what the Townspeople want.


Police Chief Garner:   Carol requested that election signs be placed only on private property.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson: No issues or concerns.

Mail and Correspondence:   
- Time Warner check for $490.00.
- MIIA credit of $216.00.
- BRPC.  Poster for Aging in Place Open Forum.  Thursday, March 31, 9:30-11:30am.  Froio Senior Center.
Thursday, March 31, 1:30-3:30pm. Adams Visitor's Center.  Call: (413) 442-1521 X 37

With all business finalized, Carol motioned to close the meeting at 7:53PM; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.

Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman
Paul F. Astorino, Clerk
Robert S. Ciskowski, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds




March 8, 2016
6:30pm

In Attendance: Carol A. Francesconi, Paul F. Astorino, and Robert S. Ciskowski
Absent:       
Press: iberkshires and The Courier
                   
Paul read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, March 1, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Paul.  A unanimous vote was taken. 

Carol:
- Requested Town Accountant to submit a breakdown of Selectmen expenses.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- No issues or concerns.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Discussed Cheshire's ACRSD FY 2017 $53,587 assessment increase.  Mark noted that Adams is reduced by $74,763.  He will be meeting with Bill Craig to review the budget report.  The increase is approximately one-half of the Town’s additional available levy increase from year to year, which coincides with the District accounting for about one-half of the town’s budget.
- The Water Department's pickup truck was ordered with a six (6) week delivery.
- Sent additional requested information to Len at USDA.  The Town's financial advisor and bond counsel are finalizing loan documents.  The final split will be $455,000 loan and $150,440 grant.
- Received the following information from Colonial Power:  1. They are finalizing the consumer notification postcards that will be sent to every basic service customer in Cheshire; the BOS will proof it before it is mailed; 2. The approved copy will then be posted on the Town website and appropriate spots elsewhere; 3. They will provide us with a public service announcement that can be run on the local access cable TB channel and posted on the Town website; 4. They will place articles in the local newspapers; 5. They plan to ask the Town to host a public informational meeting which Colonial will attend.
- Peter Traub submitted a job description for the position of Senior Aid at the COA.  The advertisement will be in the Friday, March 11, 2016 edition of The Berkshire Eagle.
- MIIA sent a schedule of Hoisting License Renewal Trainings to be held this month with four (4) dates in Athol and Woburn.
- The BRPC NPDES working group will meet on Wednesday, March 16, 2016.
- Continuing to work on the FY 2017 budget.
- Received a notice from Gail Cariddi regarding feeding fowl.  The case for legislation failed. Representative Cariddi noted that she was able to contact the appropriate state individuals regarding selling land to the State.  Mark will follow up.
- MIIA dam inspection took place.  Report requested.
- Spoke with individual seeking a seasonal All Alcoholic Liquor License and suggested the procedures to follow.


7:00PM Verizon Pole Hearing:
- Carol read the Stafford Hill Verizon request to approve the placement of a utility pole. After reviewing the request with no objections from abutters, Paul motioned to approve the placement with a unanimous vote taken.

BRPC assistant director, Thomas Matuszko, presented an overview of the Mohawk Trail Woodlands Partnership (MTWP).  This initiative will form a public-private collaboration of 21 towns across the state's northwestern tier to foster both conservation of forest resources and sustainable economic development based on the woodlands.  A Mohawk Trail Woodlands Partnership Draft Business Plan and a November 2015  Update was submitted for the public to view at the Cheshire Town Clerk's Office.  Resident, Fred Jayko, supported the initiative.  Going forward the group wants to develop the best forestry plans for revenue, would like to create an advising board, and develop a solid proposal for legislature for the twenty-one (21) towns.  Additionally, if the state legislation passes, BRPC will ask the state and federal government for $25 million to be placed in a trust fund.  Mr. Matuszko requested the Town to write letters to support the preparation and adoption of legislation to: Senator Ben Downing, Senator Stan Rosenberg, Representative Gail Cariddi, Representative Paul Mark, and Representative Stephen Kulik. Paul motioned to write the letters of support at this time, 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.
- Also discussed was the Community Compact. The Community Compact is a voluntary, mutual agreement entered into between the Baker-Polito Administration and individual cities and towns of the Commonwealth.  In a Community Compact, a community will agree to implement at least one best practice that they select from across a variety of areas.  The community’s chosen best practice(s) will be reviewed between the Commonwealth and the municipality to ensure that the best practice(s) chosen are unique to the municipality and reflect needed areas of improvement.  Once approved, the written agreement will be generated and signed by both the municipality and the Commonwealth.  The Compact also articulates the commitment the Commonwealth will make on behalf of all communities.” BRPC.

Robert:
- Voiced the need to improve on the BOS Agenda to reflect what we expect to happen at the BOS meetings.
- Questioned who decides which police academy and individual attends.  Noted that he abstained from the vote for a Full Time Police Officer during a recent Executive Session.  Robert requested the release of Executive Session minutes after the issue has passed.
- Robert reminded the BOS that the attorney general's office did not approve the changing from three (3) to five (5) Selectmen last year. He made a motion to contact legislators to start the process.  There was no second. He felt he knows what townspeople want as he felt the vote of 100 yes and 77 no was a resounding indication. Carol, felt that it was not a good indication of what the people of Cheshire want.  As 100 votes versus 2,000 registered voters does not sound resounding. Robert: Stated that, If the article had been written correctly, they would be working on the change right now. Paul:  Stated that he felt the BOS was running properly as is.  Negative comments were made between Robert and Paul. Robert: Stated that he will bring the motion up every week.
- Town Clerk:  Suggested putting a non-binding question on the next election ballot to truly understand what the Townspeople want.


Police Chief Garner:   Carol requested that election signs be placed only on private property.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson: No issues or concerns.

Mail and Correspondence:   
- Time Warner check for $490.00.
- MIIA credit of $216.00.
- BRPC.  Poster for Aging in Place Open Forum.  Thursday, March 31, 9:30-11:30am.  Froio Senior Center. Thursday, March 31, 1:30-3:30pm. Adams Visitor's Center.  Call: (413) 442-1521 X 37

With all business finalized, Carol motioned to close the meeting at 7:53PM; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.


Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman
Paul F. Astorino, Clerk
Robert S. Ciskowski, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds





March 1, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Carol A. Francesconi, Paul F. Astorino, and Robert S. Ciskowski
Absent:       
Press: iBerkshires and The Courier
                   
Paul read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, February 23, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Robert.  A unanimous vote was taken. 

Resident, John Tremblay reported that there will be two summer town events.  Tentative dates are July 13, 2016 and August 10, 2016.  The group was awarded $2,000 for expenses from the Northern Berkshire Cultural Arts grant.

Carol:
- Submitted a recommendation from the Cheshire Historical Commission to appoint Dawn Daniels to the Cheshire Historical Commission.  Ms. Hitter reported that Ms. Daniels has shown interest for a long time.  Carol motioned to appoint Dawn Daniels to the Cheshire Historical Commission, 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.
- Valerie Lawson inquired about securing a seasonal liquor license (4/15/16 to 1/15/17).  Mark reviewed the ABCC process.

Residents, Mark and Jean Fornier questioned if the BOS needed any information from them as they had seen their names in a recent article regarding their property.  Carol informed them that there were no questions at this time.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- No issues or concerns.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Updated the BOS on Class I automobile licenses for Bedard Bros. Auto Sales Inc.
- Met with the Water Superintendent and completed his employment agreement.  Agreement will be submitted to the BOS as soon as signed.
- Executed a price agreement with Mark Cappadona of Colonial Power.  Hampshire Power will be the provider for an 18 month term of the agreement.  The price will be $.08734 for all Cheshire customers and will begin on the May meter reading.  National Grid price today is $.13/kW.  The Hampshire product will be 100% green source and is the lowest price in the Commonwealth as of today.  It could go lower.  Mark will be in communication with Mark Cappadona to finalize the Cheshire notification process, i.e. postcards, town website posting, etc.


Town Administrator, Mark Webber   continued
- Submitted a Pipeline packet to Robert from the working group’s last meeting.
- Received the FY 2017 McCann budget and related material from Superintendent Brosnan. The year to year assessment change to Cheshire is:  $346,559 or a reduction of $60,987 from the current year.  The change is due in large part to the project decrease in Cheshire students attending. Mr. Brosnan would be willing to come to make a presentation to the BOS.
- Received a copy of a 66 page request for additional information from FERC to Tennessee Gas.  FERC is reviewing the project.
- Tom Matuszko of BRPC would like to address the Board at next week’s meeting at approximately 7:00pm and 7:15pm in regard to the Community Compact application, which if submitted by the Town and approved by the State, would provide funding towards developing a Master Plan; the NPDES process and; the Mohawk Trail Woodlands Partnership, which is another potential funding possibility.  An interesting item under this program would be that landowners (Town of Cheshire) would be able to sell a conservation restriction to the State and still own their land.  This is a program similar to the agricultural restriction program.
- Submitted a 9 town salary comparison of Transfer Station attendants and hours of operation.  This is something to review for the next budget.
- BRPC is looking to set up a NPDES working group meeting by mid-March.  They are seeking information from Peter and Mark.
- Spoke with Len and USDA yesterday and all is in order for a May closing of the meter grant loan.
- Received drawings from Foresight for the Sand Mill Bridge, which have been submitted to the State for their review.  There is no cost estimate attached.
- MIIA insurance representative will be in Town tomorrow to review and inspect our town properties for value/condition.
- Reviewed the Water Department truck purchase and researched the state bidding requirements.
- Requested to go into Executive Session to discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining or litigation if an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the governent’s bargaining or litigating position.  Also, to conduct strategy sessions in preparation for negotiations with non-union personnel; to actually conduct collective bargaining and contract negotiations with non-union personnel
- Carol requested the posting of the Senior Aide 19 hour position for the COA.
- Carol asked Robert to include on the Master Plan survey the question if residents would like the Selectmen post to be changed from three (3) to five (5) or if they prefer to leave it at three (3) Selectmen.
- Carol also felt that the BOS should pay for the postage.

Police Chief Garner: Report submitted.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson: At the Cheshire Community Center; voting.

Mail and Correspondence:   
- Aaron Dulles; Pine Valley Mobile Home Park Hearing.


Robert:
- Robert, as a member of the Master Plan Committee, reported that there was a meeting on Monday,  February 29, 2016 Robert was taken aback by Carol’s suggestions as the two topics had been discussed at the committee meeting.  The committee had investigated the least expensive means of doing a mailing, so this offer would help tremendously.  Robert said there would be hard copies at all businesses where permitted, Town offices, and on the Cheshire website.  Robert encouraged all residents to utilize the website survey as it also tabulates the results.  Considering the survey is 15 pages, result tabulating is a big undertaking.  Robert felt the survey would be ready in 7-10 days.  There will be a funding request at the upcoming Annual Town meeting for the Cheshire Master Plan.
- Robert two (2) estimates for roofing repairs of the buildings on the Bushika property.  This is a mute topic as the property may have a pending sale.  Estimates will be filed for future use or for the new owner’s use.

7:50PM
Carol motioned to go into Executive Session to discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining or litigation if an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the governent’s bargaining or litigating position.  Also, to conduct strategy sessions in preparation for negotiations with non-union personnel; to actually conduct collective bargaining and contract negotiations with non-union personnel and to not reconvene; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.

Roll Call:
Carol A. Francesconi, Yes; Paul F. Astorino, Yes; and Robert S. Ciskowski, Yes.

The BOS entered into the Executive Session at 7:55PM.


Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman
Paul F. Astorino, Clerk
Robert S. Ciskowski, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds




February 23, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Carol A. Francesconi, Paul F. Astorino, and Robert S. Ciskowski
       
Press: iBerkshires
                   
Paul read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, February 16, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Robert.  A unanimous vote was taken. 

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Reported that the dishwasher at the Cheshire Community Center was operating.  Cost:  $735.00.
- Small truck - operating.

Carol:
- Made a motion to attend the Special Town Meeting at the Cheshire Elementary School for articles on the Warrant in regard to the Cheshire Water Department at 6:45pm; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.  Returned at 7:40pm.  The article regarding the purchase of a Cheshire Water Department truck was passed.

Carol:
- Discussed the Pine Valley Mobile Home Park Hearing on Monday, February 22, 2016 and the questions to be answered at the Wednesday, March 23, 2016 meeting at 7pm.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Mark attended an out of town meeting and should be back for the 7pm Hearing.
- Mark has plans to speak with the ACRHS business manager in regard to the school budget.

Police Chief Garner: Report submitted.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson: Attending the Special Town Meeting and returning at 7:45pm.

Mail and Correspondence:   
- Verizon requested a Hearing for Stafford Hill Road to place one jointly owned pole numbered T. 11/2/E.1-50 on the southwesterly side of Stafford Hill Road at a point approximately four hundred ninety-eight (498) feet northwesterly from the center line of Windsor Road. The Hearing was scheduled for Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 7pm.
- With regret, the BOS accepted the resignation of Karmen B. Mitchell from her position the Cheshire Council on Aging.  The BOS commended Karmen for the work she accomplished, the friendly environment she created, and her learned wealth of knowledge on healthcare. Karmen recommended Michelle A. Dargie to resume her responsibilities.
- Berkshire Shrine Club invitation for March 26, 2016 dinner in appreciation of support of the Shriners Hospitals for Children.
- Read Across America will take place at the Cheshire Elementary School.


With all business finalized, Carol motioned to close the meeting at 8:00pm; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.

Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman
Paul F. Astorino, Clerk
Robert S. Ciskowski, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds




February 16, 2016

6:30PM

 

In Attendance: Carol A. Francesconi, Paul F. Astorino, and Robert S. Ciskowski

Absent:

Press: The Courier

 

Paul read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, February 9, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Paul.  A unanimous vote was taken.  

 

Resident, Gary F. Schneider, 110-120 Stafford Hill Road:

- Mr. Schneider requested his statement regarding property at approximately 10 Stafford Hill Road that is owned by Mark and Jean Fortier, Parcel #2, Book 01382 and Page 1097 be reviewed for future sales or division.  Mr. Schneider referred to a letter to the BOS dated July 19, 2013 and read into minutes his concerns. A letter from the BOS dated July 26, 2013 was sent to Mr. Schneider in response to his letter.

 

“According to the DEP there are resource areas there protected under Mass Wetlands Protection Act.  I would like to take this opportunity to make aware to the Planning Board and refresh the BOS of this property.  The reason being it is for sale and I suspect will be cut into building lots.  I respectfully request that this property be looked into by the Planning Board & BOS before plot plans if and when submitted to deal with the wetlands issues which will change the entire area in regards to drainage etc.  This particular property is delicate in nature with all of its issues again per DEP along with GIC (GIS) maps of the area in question.  With proper engineering & oversight would minimize the impact to Stafford Hill & Waterways if deemed buildable which I suspect will be challenging @ best. Carole A. Hilderbrand sent me a letter dated July 26, 2013 answering my concerns.  The letter is attached to this e-mail.  Long and short the powers to be need to informed & proper action taken if deemed necessary to pr vent any damage.  In short the rules, in this instance need to be complied with.  Look forward to your response.

Concerned abutter.  

Respectfully, Gary F. Schneider.”

 

Carol:  Will be contacting Mark Stinson of the DEP for a definition of a stream vs. perennial brook.

Mr. Schneider:  Questioned if a buyer purchased the land what recourse would they have it the property was deemed unbuildable.  The BOS felt the owner or representative of the owner would be obligated to disclose all information.  If that does not happen, Carol stated, “A Cease and Desist can be issued.”

Mr. Schneider questioned Peter about the process of putting in a driveway. Mr. Schneider stated, “There are certain times of the year that the water is flowing.

Carol:  Notified Mr. Schneider that all abutters receive Certified Return Receipt Hearing notices for all NOI’s and Determination of Applicability applications.

Mr. Schneider closed his presentation by stating, “I do not want to deny anyone from building, I just want it done correctly.”

 

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre:  

- Updated the BOS on the health status of one employee.

- Noted that the generator was not producing enough electricity.  Working on a resolution.

- Scheduled a repair for the Community Center dishwasher.  Replacement:  over $11K.  Repair:  $650. Repair includes a copy of the manual.

 

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:

- Updated the BOS on the status of a full time police officer candidate.  Explained the Board’s decision on a hire.  After reviewing the decision, the candidate withdrew his application.

- Received a response from Town Counsel regarding items that are needed from him in order to close out the water loan project.  Mark will speak to the Water Department this evening to receive some information so that he can fill in some blanks and finish his forms.

- Analyzed the FY 2017 BCIG health and dental rates.  Family health plan went up 14%.  Individual health plan went up 14.5%.  Direct cost to full time employee with family health and dental is $.35 an hour increase.

- Informed the Water Department that a water main shutoff at the corner of Railroad and Church is damaged and needs to be repaired.

- Will be attending the annual meeting of MEGA Worker’s Compensation Group in Framingham.  Will be back in Town in time for the Special Town Meeting at 7pm.

- Received a check from Time Warner for $2,540, which represents the 4th quarter payment to the town per their contract.

- Spoke with Mark Cappadona regarding setting a price for the 18 month term.  He said that he will have a contract, based on the indicative pricing that the Board looked at last week.  He said the market is still and prices haven’t moved.  Mr. Cappadona said that he is working with Adams and suggested a joint aggregation at this time.  The BOS prefers to be treated as an individual.

- Received correspondence from resident, Gary F. Schneider.

- Drafted a Town retiree Health/Dental Insurance Police.  The draft will be forwarded to Town Counsel for legal approval. The BOS suggested including life insurance.  Life insurance is typically offered to county system retirees. The policy provides $4,000 for retirees.

- Continued working on FY 2017 Cheshire budget.  Mark is concerned about having very little to go on from the school district regarding their FY’17 budget.

- Received a letter from the BRPC notifying the Cheshire Planning Board that they will not be able to fund the Town’s DLTA application to study accessory apartment zoning regulations.

- Spoke to Bill Craig regarding a consensus from the Advisory Board about the upcoming vote for the Water Department truck.  No decision was agreed upon to date.

 

Carol:  Town Hall elevator has been repaired by Bay State Elevators.

- Hoosac Hose Firemen’s Ball will take place on April 9, 2016.

- Prepare NOI extension for Ray Fisher/Cheshire Lake.

 

Robert:

- Reported that the Master Plan Committee under the lead of Tom Matuszko of the BRPC met on Monday, February 15, 2016 from 6:30pm to 10:05pm.  The committee is in the process of combining survey questions that are customized and representative of Cheshire.  The group will meet in two weeks.  Robert is hopeful that he will be able to present to the BOS a copy of survey questions to be used.  Additionally, it is hoped that most responses will be completed electronically for ease of tabulation. Paper copies will be available.  The survey most likely will have a link from the Cheshire website to the Monkey Survey, a user friendly computerized survey system.

 

Police Chief Garner:   Report submitted.

 

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:  Reported ice concerns from the roof.

 

Carol:

- Letters will be written to the approved full time police officer and other candidates.

- Transfer of funds request to the Advisory Board for Murphy, Hesse, Toomey & Lehane, LLP for $2,610.00  for unexpected legal advice. (Retiree Insurance).

Mail and Correspondence:  

With all business finalized, Carol motioned to close the meeting at 7:45pm; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

____________________________________________________________

Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman

Paul F. Astorino, Clerk

Robert S. Ciskowski, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds and Grounds

 

 

 

 

 

February 9, 2016
6:30PM

In Attendance: Carol A. Francesconi, Paul F. Astorino, and Robert S. Ciskowski
Absent:      
Press: iBerkshires and The Courier
                   
Paul read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, February 2, 2016; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Paul.  A unanimous vote was taken. 

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre:
 
- Working on truck mechanical issues.
- Ordered salt.

Carol:

- Answered email questions regarding the Creighton project.   1.  There is a 10 day appeal time and 2. The heating system placed in the driveway is of no concerns to the CCC or DEP.
- Received a letter from the Pine Valley Mobile Home Association lawyer, Aaron Dulles, of Heisler, Feldman & McCormick, P.C. noting that he has been retained to represent the interests of several tenants at the Park.
- Pine Valley Rent Increase Hearing continued to Monday, February 22, 2016-7pm-Community Center.  (Storm)

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:

- BOS approved BOS report for the Cheshire Annual Report.
- Mark will continue working on adopting a policy regarding retiree insurance coverage.  The BOS reviewed the overview received from Murphy, Toomey & Lehane, L.L.P. The BOS requested Mark to have Town Counsel draw up a policy for future eligible retiring employees.
- BOS signed the Warrant for the Presidential Primary for March 1, 2016 from 7am to 8pm.
- The BOS signed the Warrant for the Special Town Meeting for Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 7pm. “Article 1:  To see if the Town will vote to transfer the sum of $34,750 from available Water Operations Surplus and appropriate the same amount for the purchase of a new model year three-quarter ton four-wheel drive pickup truck with snow plow, or take any other action in relation thereto.” Mark forwarded a copy to Bill Craig to distribute to his members in order to gain a consensus which would then be noted by the Moderator at the meeting as either a recommendation or non-recommendation.
- Attended a Complete Streets, 3 hour seminar, sponsored by MA DOT.  Cheshire will add 5 points to its score on future MassWorks and related applications for attending.
- Copy submitted of Time Warner’s required annual Complaint and Service Interruption Data for 2015.  It showed 105 service complaints and all were resolved in a day or less.
- Next Pipeline Working Group meeting is February 17, 2016 at 3pm at BRPC.  Tennessee Gas has filed petitions with the MA DPU for authority to access private property for surveying and identification of vernal pools where that access has been denied by the owners.  DPU has scheduled several public hearings on the applications.  One meeting will be on March 29, 2016 at 7pm at Berkshire Community College.  According to the filings, they are seeking DPU permission to enter 408 properties across the State; 3 of them are in Cheshire.
- FY 2017 budget requests have been given to each department with a return date of March 15, 2016.
-  Met with Len Shuzdak of USDA/RD last Friday with Travis and Ed St. John.  Additional paperwork needed from the Water Department, Town Counsel, and the Water Commission.
- Submitted membership form for STAM.  Noted that the BOS may want to consider joining the group.
- Updated the BOS on the Kirt Mayland offer to use the buildings at 926 North State Road.  Mark informed the BOS that the offer may not take place as the area is in negotiation for a sale.
- Working with Mark Capadonna regarding pricing.  Will report back to the BOS asap.
- Health insurance rates have increased 14%.

Robert:

- Noted that he had a plan to have a site visit with the BOS to view the condition of the buildings and to continue working on the estimates for repairs.  With Mark’s report; Robert’s plans are unnecessary.  He will keep the roof estimates for possible use for the new owners.
- Cheshire Master Plan Committee will meet on February 15, 2016 to work on surveys. The BRPC may be submitting a survey at that time for review.
- Thanked Mark for information received on the Enterprise Accounting system.

Police Chief Garner:   Report submitted.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:  Warrants signed.

Mail and Correspondence:   

8:40pm

Carol:

- Carol motioned to go into Executive Session:  To discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining or litigation if an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the governent’s bargaining or litigating position.  Also, to conduct strategy sessions in preparation for negotiations with non-union personnel; to actually conduct collective bargaining and contract negotiations with non-union personnel.

Roll Call:
Carol A. Francesconi, Yes; Paul F. Astorino, Yes; and Robert S. Ciskowski, Yes.

The 6:30 open meeting will not reconvene.


Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman
Paul F. Astorino, Clerk
Robert S. Ciskowski, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds