January 10, 2016
In Attendance: Paul F. Astorino, Robert S. Ciskowski and, Carol A. Francesconi
Press: iBerkshires and The Courier
Robert read the Board of Selectmen meeting minutes for Tuesday, January 3, 2017; Carol accepted as presented; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.
Town Accountant advised the BOS that the State mileage is 53.5 cents. Paul motioned that the mileage will be 53.5 cents per mile for the town of Cheshire; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken.
Carol reported on her findings regarding a recent report against the Cheshire Animal Control Officer and the handling of a pet pig and a raccoon. Carol spoke with both the Cheshire Police Chief and the Cheshire Animal Control Officer to obtain their interpretation of the handling of two possibly rabid animals. The owner of the pig called and reported it had bitten a family person and a dog. The owner wanted it removed from the home. It was done in a legal and safe manner. It was not disposed of on private property but was taken to a local
veterinarian and appropriately handled according to the owner, the law and ethics.
- In regard to the raccoon in front of the Jill Balawander’s business on Route 8. She reported that it was hit by a car, covered, and taken away. Carol stated that the Cheshire Animal Control Officer position is an on-call position.
Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre:
- Continuing to experience mechanical difficulties with trucks.
Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Spoke with out of town Cheshire Highway Superintendent applicant regarding relocation. He said he was still interested in interviewing.
- A Cheshire resident called regarding the recent information received from BRPC and housing projects. Mark suggested she call BRPC to be placed on the list of interested residents as they will be the administrator of the grant.
- Wrote a letter to Attorney Grandchamp regarding his findings about Mr. Clairmont’s lawyers difference of opinion on the Clairmont fence issue.
- Requested the Board if they would appoint a Community Development Strategy Committee.
- Reported that Interim Superintendent Dr. Putnam would like to meet on January 17, 2017 at 6:15-6:30pm. Collins Institute information will be put on the Town’s website.
- With Becky’s assistance documents for the Bushika net metering billing to Lodestar.
- Submitted Animal Control 2017 Designation paperwork for the BOS to sign. Carol made a motion to appoint Myron Proper as the designated Animal Control Officer; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.
- Spoke with Tom at BRPC and the upcoming DLTA grant. He suggested that we team up with Hinsdale and apply for a guidance document for removing dilapidated housing. Both communities have expressed a need. With the Board’s approval, Mark would like to contact Hinsdale to start the process. There would be no funding for the removals, just a layout of the process and identification of avenues for funding. Originally, Carol and Paul opposed the concept. However, after more discussion and understanding, it was agreed to go forward. Robert reminded all that the Cheshire Master Plan Committee found that there is an “Issue with our image” and the Committee is greatly concerned about the issue of declining population.
- The first meeting of the Complete Streets Committee meeting was held today and it was decided to send out an RFP to three (3) contractors seeking scope of work proposals, which would be funded for up to $50K under the program. The chosen vendor would identify transportation gaps and needs and from there, a project or projects would be chosen and then the up to $400K construction grant would be applied for. The Committee developed a few projects that may fit the intent of the program for funding.
Carol A. Francesconi:
- Signed a permit (CCC section) for a garage for Mark Warner.
- Carol motioned to appoint E. St. John IV, Eileen Quinn, and Peter Traub to the Community Development Committee. Letters of Appointment will be mailed and their terms will expire after the application is complete; 2nd Robert, with a unanimous vote taken.
Police Chief, Timothy Garner: Submitted the Weekly Report.
Town Clerk, Christine Emerson: No issues or concerns.
Carole H. will schedule Cheshire Highway Superintendent interviewing times for Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 10:30am; 11:00am; and 11:30am at the Cheshire Town Hall.
Mail and Correspondence:
Paul motioned to go into Executive Session: “To consider the discipline or dismissal of, or to hear complaints or charges brought against a public officer, employee, staff member or individual.”
Roll Call: Paul F. Astorino, Yes; Robert S. Ciskowski, Yes; and Carol A. Francesconi, Yes.
With all business finalized, Paul motioned to close the meeting at 8:02PM; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken. The 6:30pm Open Meeting will not continue.
Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds