February 21, 2017
6:30PM

In Attendance: Paul F. Astorino, Robert S. Ciskowski and, Carol A. Francesconi
Absent:       
Press: iBerkshires and The Courier
                  
Robert read BOS minutes for February 14, 2017. Carol motioned to accept the minutes as presented; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.

Highway Department, Peter LeFebvre: 
- Peter discussed the cleaning of the dishwasher at the Cheshire Community Center and the need to order a new heating element.  Additionally, he worked on the drains and will continue to flush them until they are working better.  When the dishwasher is operating correctly Carol and Peter will demonstrate usage.
- Carol reported last week that the plow cost $8,400.  Peter reported a $200.00 lower price.
- Patching pot holes with cold patching.
- New truck in the process of meeting all specifications and my possibly be delivered in March.
- One ton truck down with oil pan issue. 

Superintendent of Adams-Cheshire Schools, Dr. Putnam:
- Dr. Putnam was invited to attend this evenings meeting so the BOS could asked questions regarding the upcoming scheduled meetings, a possible school closing, and the Budget.
- The first item to be discussed was the need to review and update the regional agreement In order to  improve the quality of education. Dr. Putnam advised that the finances cannot pay presently for changes.
Paul:
- Inquired about the condition of the CT Plunkett school roof and the costs associated.  Carol questioned, “Why should Cheshire pay for the Plunkett roof repairs?” 
Dr. Putnam:
Dr. Putnam stated that it will be, “Goodwill between the towns.”  He said, “We have to find a way to an agreement.” He felt, ”The Collins group can create the best way to go forward.”
Dr. Putnam reviewed the pro/cons of keeping the Cheshire Elementary School and or the CT Plunkett School or to have a new build. Regarding the CT Plunkett roof, there is $130K available to go towards the costs of repairing the roof.  He reported that when he first started his employment he had installed supports to hold up the roof.  It is a slate roof and there continues to be some leaks on the third floor.  Hill Engineering estimated approximately $300K for repairs.  Dr. Putnam wants the lowest price possible while allowing the school to be safe and to function as a safe school.  (All scheduled meetings are available on the ACRSD website.)

Dr. Putnam:  continued
- Transportation costs was discussed, but Dr. Putnam suggested waiting for the upcoming meeting where he will present a formal offering to address all of the above questions and concerns.
- Robert mentioned that he has had a few calls regarding the stress families and children are feeling.  Dr. Putnam assured Robert that his plan is to minimize the stress level of parents and children. Dr. Putnam will keep the BOS informed to the best of his ability.
- Dr. Putnam submitted a MEMO explaining space alternatives.

Resident, E. Clairmont:
- Questioned the status of his issue with Cheshire Fence Viewers and wondered if Attorney Grandchamp has been in contact with the BOS.  Carol reported that no written correspondence has been received and she will have Carole H. contact Grandchamp to see the status of the issue.

7:00PM   Hearing.  Carol read the Legal Notice:  BRPC Representative, Patricia Mullins and William Compton, Senior Planner at the BRPC shared updates on the progress of the grant.
- The BOS was updated regarding the status and process of the Community Development Block Grant.   Ms. Mullins submitted a copy of the Citizen Participation Plan 2017.
- All present signed a sign-in sheet for proof of attendance. A copy of tonight’s minutes and the Agenda for 2-21-17 and they will be forwarded to Ms. Mullins.
Town Clerk, Christine Emerson: 
- Requested more information be placed on the flyer seeking applicants as presently it is vague with no specifics on the project and what it entails. Ms. Mullins: Once the town receives the award, Ms. Mullins will create a new flyer noting that loans are 0% interest with deferred interest and no payment unless transferred.  The grant will be submitted on March 10, 2017 and notification will be approximately July 2017.
- Ms. Mullins reported that 45-50 people signed up at a recent town activity.   Ms. Mullins will be speaking with the Town Treasurer for signage of required documentation. She also wanted the BOS to review what happens if a person has to move out of the house.
- Dialogue will continue.
Paul:
- Signed a letter to the Deputy Community Development Manager, Mark Southard regarding The ADA Self Evaluation Survey and Transition Plan.

7:41PM  Carol motioned to close the Hearing; 2nd by Paul with a unanimous vote taken.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber: Absent

Chief of Police, Tim Garner:  Weekly Report Submitted.  Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:  No issues or concerns.

Robert:
- Motioned to reach out to the Town of Lanesborough to investigate the possibility of sharing a Highway Superintendent.  Although there was no second, the BOS said it should be checked by either Robert or
Mark when he returns.

Mail and Correspondence:
- Thank you note received from candidate, Conklin, for the opportunity to interview for the Superintendent of the Cheshire Highway Department.
- Email received from Sara Clark (TAC) State of Mass regarding a copy of the current cable license for the Department of Telecommunications and Cable.  Carole H. will research.

With all business finalized, Paul motioned to close the meeting at 8:00PM; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.


Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Paul F. Astorino, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Carol A. Francesconi, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds