August 8, 2017

In Attendance: Robert S. Ciskowski, Carol A. Francesconi and Ed St. John IV  

Carol motioned to accept the minutes of August 1, 2017 as submitted; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.

Executive Session motioned by Carol; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken. Carol read:
“To consider the purchase, exchange, taking, lease, or value of real property if such discussion may have a detrimental effect on the negotiating position of the governmental body.”
Roll Call:  Robert S. Ciskowski, Yes; Carol A. Francesconi, Yes; and Ed St. John, IV, Yes.

Robert S. Ciskowski (Excused himself from the Executive Session) Ed St. John, IV; Yes and Carol A. Francesconi, Yes.

Highway Superintendent, Blair Crane: Absent

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Scheduled a meeting with Oulette Plumbing for Tuesday, August 15th at 9am to research the boilers and layout of the school system.  Both units were recently services.  Blair and Peter will be joining the viewing.
- On Monday, August 14th Blair will meet at the Cheshire Elementary School at 1:00pm with BayState Elevator to view the lift and whether or not to de-commission it.  Otherwise, annual service and inspection will continue.  There is a process to follow and if not there can be substantial fines.
- Continuing to work on liability insurance for the Cheshire Elementary School.
- Added the Cemetery Department to the charge account at Carr Hardware so they can purchase paint. 
The Cemetery, Water Department and County Jail personnel are working on painting the fire hydrants and wrought iron fences and other items at the Cemetery.
- Received requested meeting minutes from the Advisory Board.
- There will be a site visit conducted by MA DOT at a Sand Mill Bridge at 8/9/17 - 3pm to discuss bridge replacement in FY'22.  Blair will attend.
- Received the mold study report on CT Plunkett from Dr. Putnam.  ATC Group did the testing and concluded that all tested areas were within acceptable levels.
- Workshop will be held in Lenox Town Hall on August 31st at 6-8PM to discuss recreational marijuana and the process to vote on moratoriums on both medical and recreational sales. BRPC will host the meeting.  Open to the public.

-Colonial Power is seeking approval to continue the Berkshire Aggregation involving Cheshire.  The new rate, effective November 1 is $.107/kW for 100% Green energy, locked for 36 months.  Cheshire's current rate is $.092/kW through October 31st.  National Grid's current rate through the end of October
is $.094/kW.  NGrid winter rates beginning November 1 will not be known until mid-September but are anticipated to be in the high 11's or low 12's.  The price would come back down in the spring.
 The bill will no longer show Hampshire Power but will show Public Power.  Carol motioned to stay with the Aggregation; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.
- Mark suggested petitioning the Cheshire Planning Board to start the process for voting on moratoriums on both medical and recreational sales.  Ed made a motion for the Planning Board to go forward; 2nd by Carol.  Robert was against the motion.

Willow Tree on Windsor Road will be attended to.

Emergency Management:  Corey Swistak:
- Submitting a grant.  The BOS reviewed.

Carol suggested that the custodian be a "Salary Vendor." All agreed.
- She also suggested a $25.00 refundable charge be placed on the Application to Use the Cheshire Community Center.  Unfortunately, there have been times when clean up was not performed and the custodian was called.

- Is working on a Facility Use Application.

- Advised that many events are in need of a maintenance person with events closing at 10PM.  He hoped the Reuse Committee would evaluate possible fees involved.  This would include the field use.

Cheshire Police Chief, Timothy Garner:  Report submitted.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:  No issues or concerns.

The Cheshire Water Department Commissioners were called to the meeting to discuss; Kitchen Brook Dam removal.
- Mark presented an update and status of the Kitchen Brook Dam and the need for a Letter of Support from the Commissioners and the BOS.  Going back to 2012 Foresight called the dam a significant hazard potential.
Francis:  Spoke for the Commissioners and voice disappointment as to why they were not included in talks from day one.  This affects the water users and they felt there were alternatives.  He was not aware of a dam safety issues.  He said in 1994 the USA sued Cheshire Water for $23K for not complying

with surface water rules.  That's when two wells and a new tank were installed. They felt that Water Protection couldn't ask for better water.  The wells are 56' by 20' apart.  They felt it was not in the best
interest of the town to remove the dam. The department was given a list of things to get done and they are still trying to complete the list.  The Water Department will not support removing the dam. 

- Asked if the Water Department would pay for the repair of the dam?

- Questioned, out of courtesy, why the Water Commissioners were not informed.  Perhaps there is grant money for restoration.  Was that investigated?

- Pointed out that the Cheshire Water Department does not own the land they are "Stewards".  Ten years ago a dam removal would be $338K. Now, today, it could be $500K to remove it.

- Had no issues with Thunderbrook Dam's removal.  They want money to fix the problems as they can envision twenty years down the road the needs.  Spend time looking for funding. They questioned the next move.  What are the consequences?  Mr. Waterman said he is passionate and will fight until they win.

- Asked if they would contact Tighe and Bond for suggestions and funding possibilities.

Francis:  "I just do not think it is best for the town."

Robert:  Asked Travis if the pothole on Dublin Road could be repaired.  Response, "The Water Department will take care of it."

7:52PM PM Carol motioned to go into Executive Session: 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken. 
"To discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining or litigation if an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the government's bargaining or litigating position.  Also, to conduct strategy sessions in preparation for negotiations with non-union personnel; to actually conduct collective bargaining and contract negotiations with non-union personnel. The 6pm Open Meeting will reconvene.
Roll Call:  Carol A. Francesconi, Yes; and Ed St. John, IV; Yes.

Roll Call:  Robert S. Ciskowski, Yes; Carol A. Francesconi, Yes; and Ed St. John, IV, Yes.

Mail and Correspondence:
- Forest Cutting Plan from DCR for Robert H. Parker and Jill Gerson Parker at 179 Fisher Hill Road.
- Brain Injury Association of Massachusetts.  Use of Ashuwillticook Rail Trail for September 9th.
- Letter received from a town employee seeking an Appeal. Carol will contact the Department Head.
- Mark Harrington, President of the Adams Cheshire Hurricane Youth Football and Cheerleading Program. (Field usage). The Cheshire BOS approved.

Robert will be meeting with the new ACRSD Facilitator on August 30, 2017.  Carol and Ed will also be attending. It was suggested to invite all department heads.
- Spoke with George Sweet regarding electricity.  He said it comes from School Street, is the primary power and is 1300 volts.  District offices are not separate and it comes in underground.  George suggested making a plan to have some people in town be trained to how to start the generator.  Presently, it needs a transfer switch with 800 amp service in.”  He will speak to Gigliotti Electric and report back to the BOS.

- Will be meeting with Dr. Putnam, and the Adams School Committee liaison tomorrow, 8/9/17,

With all business finalized, Carol motioned to closed the Open Meeting; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken at 9:10PM.

Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

Robert S. Ciskowski, Chairman
Carol A. Francesconi, Clerk
Ed St. John IV, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds