August 15, 2017
6:30PM

In Attendance: Robert S. Ciskowski, Carol A. Francesconi, and Ed St. John IV
Absent:       
Press: iBerkshires

Carol motioned to accept the minutes of August 1, 2017 as submitted; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.

Resident, Rosanna St. Pierre:
- Questioned when the roads in the Pine Valley Mobile Home Park would be repaired.  She believed part of the rent increase was to be used toward the fixing of the roads.  Tenants have been told it would be done in spring or July.  “Before you know it, it will be winter and cars will continue to be subjected to the holes, she said.”  Ms. St. Pierre asked if the BOS thought she should hold her rent until the roads were fixed. Chairman Ciskowski suggested that the BOS first send a letter to the owner.  The BOS will advise Ms. Pierre of their answer.

COA, Peter Traub:
- Reported that the Adams Council on Aging Director will be attending the COA meeting on Wednesday, August 16, 2017.  Peter was promoting the hiring of a part-time individual for Cheshire COA.  Carol questioned why?  Peter will bring up the topic at the August 16th meeting with Adams.
- On Thursday the barrels on the lake will be secured and Blair will pick them up.

Highway Superintendent, Blair Crane:
- Submitted two weeks of Weekly Activity Logs.
- Some trees down on Outlook Avenue.
- All catch basins have been cleaned.
- Back hoe back.
- Working on lighting with National Grid.  It should be six (6) weeks to completion.
- Discussed the prospects of having the Sand Mill Bridge revamped in 2022 at the State’s cost.  The recent bridge repairs will provide usage for the six (6) years. This type of project, if organized correctly can take fifteen (15) weeks to complete.  It is important to remember that it takes four (4) weeks to cure.
- Robert wants to go over the condition of the 2002 loader which has 12,000 hours clocked.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Meet with Mr. Oulette (Plumbing) Blair and Peter to view the boiler systems. It was noted that there are no heat alarms on the boilers.  Due to the system in place it would be difficult to freeze.  There are no issues in shutting down the boilers.  Each boiler runs twelve (12) gallons each both running is 24 gallons.  Mark believes it holds 10,000 gallons and is presently the tank is full. Mark suggested shutting half of the building – mothball it – and run lower heat and heat tape the main and meter. A systematic schedule needs to be adopted to test and exercise the emergency generator at the school, or install an automated system.
- Becky is attending UMASS for training this week.
- McCann returned Chapter 71 Transportation money of $4,022.64.  Chapter 70 Education increased $346.00.
- Spoke to DER regarding Kitchen Brook Dam.  Ed is not familiar with the site and will be taking a site visit.  Carol questioned if the work is not done where does the money come from.
- Mark gave an overview of how the project started.  The State rates dams for safety every five (5) years and Cheshire is due any day now.  It is either remove or repair.  If not done according to State mandates, the Town can be fined and they can make you do it.  Carol asked to continue the discussion next week.
- Mark would like to write a comprehensive Scope of Services for the Reuse Committee to start with.  It will basically be an outline for organizational steps so they can get started.
- All carryovers –ok.
- BayState Elevator quote to decommission the elevator at the school will be $2,087.00 or $500.00 per hour. Waiting for a call back from their sales team.
- Requested direction regarding the Kitchen Brook Dam project. Mark reported that the DER is awaiting a decision from the town as to if we will be going forward with the removal.  The dam is not a backup up water supply and the DER is not especially concerned about safety but in creating an unrestricted waterway for fish. Robert said it is more of a pristine source of water.  Mark said the town has backup wells and a tank.  Additionally, Cheshire Lake could also be used for backup if necessary. Carol voiced that the dam is presently dry and is a "mud pit" She would like to know the repair costs and whether the town water users would pay for it. She didn't think the water users would want to cover the repair costs of $500,000 to repair the dam. - When/if the plans are approved the state will complete date in 2018, complete plans in 2019, and implement in 2020.  This part of the project can cost approximately $155,000 and the cost to remove $350,000.
- Robert voiced concern about not working with the Water Department and their ideas.  Mark will check if they contacted Tighe and Bond regarding possible grants for repairs.  Ed asked to continue the topic on August 22, 2017.

Cheshire Police Chief, Timothy Garner:  Report submitted.
  
Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:  No issues or concerns.

Cheshire Planning Board, Donna DeFino, Chairman
- Asked permission to speak with Town Council, Ed. St. John III regarding a Medical and Recreational Marijuana Moratorium.  Mark suggested contacting the Berkshire Regional Planning Commission. Sandy Sloane and Peter Traub will be attending a workshop in Lenox on August 31, 2017 to learn more about the process.  

Robert:
- Reported speaking with George Sweet about the generator and noted that the fire house generator gets started once a month. George noted that the school generator might need a different transfer  switch. George feels that the Emergency Management group should meet and review emergency plans before an emergency happens. 

Mail and Correspondence:

One Day Liquor License issued to Whitney’s.  Amount received was $50.00.

Carol motioned to closed the Open Meeting at 7:46PM and motioned to go into Executive Session to
“Discuss the reputation, character, physical condition or mental health, rather than professional competence, of an individual, r discuss the discipline or dismissal of or complaints or charges against, a public officer, employee, staff member or individual; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.”

Roll Call:
Robert S. Ciskowski, Yes; Carol A. Francesconi, Yes; and Ed St. John, IV, Yes.

With all business finalized, Carol motioned to close the Open Meeting; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken at 7:46PM. The Open Meeting will not reconvene.

                 

Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Robert S. Ciskowski, Chairman
Carol A. Francesconi, Clerk
Ed St. John IV, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds