September 12, 2017
6:30PM

In Attendance: Robert S. Ciskowski, Carol A. Francesconi, and Ed St. John IV
Absent:       
Press: iBerkshires
                  
Robert motioned to accept the minutes of September 5, 2017 as submitted; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.

Justin Kruszyna introduced the group; Eileen Quinn, Sandra Sloane, and Barry Emery reporting that a group of enthusiastic residents met to discuss how they could offer a once a month activity starting in March to celebrate the town's 225th Anniversary.  Barry thanked the group as well as John Tremblay and Tim Garner for input in planning the events. 
- Carol noted that she had heard from the Historical Commission and wanted it reported that the Commission has plans for an activity at Stafford Hill Monument. 
- Christine Emerson will put a notice on the Cheshire website for suggestions and volunteers; Jack will make note of it on iberkshires; and the BOS will review possibilities.  Coordination will be the key to success. The next meeting will take place on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 6:30PM.  Those interested in joining are welcome to attend.
- Barry invited all to attend his lecture on September 28, 2017 at 6:30pm at the Baptist Church.

Resident, Leo, Choquette:
- Inquired about the process for submitting a Notice of Intent to the Cheshire Conservation Commission.

Highway Superintendent, Blair Crane:
- Submitted the Weekly Activity Log.
- Chipped brush at the Transfer Station
- Property maintenance and mowing at the Cheshire school property.
- Installed concrete in Firehouse bathroom floor.
- Delivered truck #10 to Delorey's in NYS.
- Road grading at Stafford Hill and Richmond Hill Roads.
- Changed oil on Boom mower hydraulics.
- Ditch cleaning on Windsor Road.
- Blair will be checking further with the Town of New Ashford regarding the Greylock Road owernship.
- Suggested making a wise investment of purchasing a loader with Chapter 90 money.  He will have a proposal prepared for 9/19/17.
- Email from Town Counsel, Ed. St. John III regarding the approval or denial of driveway permits.  The Cheshire Highway Superintendent acts as the designee in making that determination with permission to do so.
- Ed motioned to authorize and designate the Cheshire Highway Superintendent, M.L.G 40, section 3; to approve or reject driveway permits; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken.


Town Administrator, Mark Webber:  Absent

7:00PM Bid Opening
Robert read The Berkshire Eagle Legal Notice on 8/24/17 seeking sealed bids on surplus Police equipment.
Two (2) Bids were received and the higher bid award was granted to Jeff Warner. ($2,100)

Inquiry from the owner of Wandering Star Brewing Co., LLC of Pittsfield, MA to hold beer garden weekend events at Whitney's Farm Stand.  On Friday, September 15, 2017 the required liquor liability insurance certificate will be delivered.  A total of 15 days may be considered starting 9/17/17 until
Halloween. The BOS will review the plan on 9/19/17.

CCC, Carol:
- Signed Building Permit for the CCC for Lisa Malloy to repair two (2) barns and a porch.
- The Tax Classification Hearing will be Thursday, September 21, 2017at 6:30pm at the Town Hall.
- Carol checked into the fire department's checking on the weekly starting of the generator.  She noted that the department does, indeed, start it weekly and it does need a charger to start. An automatic starter will be researched. Blair voiced that the boiler should have alarms.
- A stand by ambulance meeting will take place at the end of the month.

Robert:
- Would like the members of the BOS to consider meeting twice a month from 6:30PM to 7:00PM to hold a business meeting. He would also suggest meeting quarterly with each department and or Chairman.  He realized after meeting with the Water Department and working through concerns regarding a dam, it clearly demonstrated the need to communicate together on concerns. Thus, meeting with the Water Department allowed for open dialogue and resolution to a difficult issue. Robert would like to give more time to long range planning and to operate as a business.  Communication would lead to being more proactive than reactive. He would like to utilize the Cheshire Master Plan and revise the BOS Agenda for the public to clearly understand the undertakings of the BOS.  He feels the meetings should be more formal and the BOS should be working on the Budget now.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:  No issues or concerns

Police Chief, Timothy Garner:  Submitted weekly report.

Cheshire Planning Board, Donna DeFino:
- Donna reviewed the timeline for a Marijuana Moratorium and the need to draft a bylaw to be prepared for the Annual Town Meeting.  The bylaw will have basic language and state requirements.
The BOS approved unanimously to go forward with the bylaw process.

Board of Health: Rick Salvi, Jeff Warner, and Michael Biagini:
- Jeff reported that the Transfer Station would be closed on Mondays as they have no option to operate if the usual employee is out.  Training takes more than a few hours and questioned if the position could be covered by the Cheshire Highway Department employees.  Mike was given the names of five (5) individuals to contact to see if there was interest in working the hours.

Board of Health:  continued
- Jeff said, ‘The highway department was going union.”

Robert:
- A Town of Cheshire employee can join a union.

Jeff:
- "Then you can't take or give hours away."

Carol:
- "They are not union yet."  Legally the Board of Health is to find coverage."

Mike:
- "Questioned how an individual can work at the cemetery as a vendor?"

Carol:
- “There is more liability at the Transfer Station than at the cemetery.”

Robert:
- Voiced that the meeting was deteriorating and asked Blair if his department could cover Monday.
- Blair said, "Yes and he may have to be the one covering from 3:30pm to 5pm."  This topic will be continued.

Jack:
- Questioned what the Fire Safety Grant would be used for.  Carol said, "It is a grant for Emergency Management for upgrading their technology."

Resident, Fred Jayko:
- Inquired about the completion of the Lion's Club sign on Route 8.  The BOS will be checking again to see the status of completion.
- Wondered who is responsible for Rt. 116 - Cheshire is. In Adams, the State plows Rt. 116.  In Savoy, they take care of Rt. 116.

Resident, Sandra Sloane: Thanked the BOS and the Chief of Police for patrolling Wells Road.  The speeding traffic was noticeably reduced.

Mail and Correspondence:
- Forest Cutting Plan: Joseph Wrenn, Fisher Hill.
- Employment Application form submitted.

Ed:
- Believes more engagement in the future of the town's changes is important.  Briefly discussed options for the school buildings use and meeting space.


With all business finalized, Robert motioned to close the Open Meeting; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken at 8:40PM.


Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Robert S. Ciskowski, Chairman
Carol A. Francesconi, Clerk
Ed St. John IV, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds