November 7, 2017
6:30PM

In Attendance: Robert S. Ciskowski, Carol A. Francesconi and Ed St. John IV  
Press:

Carol motioned to accept the minutes as presented for October 31, 2017; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.

Cheshire Highway Superintendent, Blair Crane:
- Discussion continued regarding the repairs of Windsor Road and the timeframe for completion.  Fallen trees will be cleaned out of the water and the catch basin above the site will be cleaned.  Blair will be researching the permit for a nearby driveway.
- F550 in service.
- The storage container has arrived and is in use.
- Patching.  The asphalt company will be open until December 1, 2017.
- Discussed overtime policy.
- Miscellaneous equipment maintenance.

Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Submitted a Average Single Family Home tax bill spreadsheet for the thirty two towns in Berkshire County.  He noted that Cheshire was the eight (8) lowest on the list and had an average home value of $205,610.
- Next meeting with the Highway Union and representative has been scheduled for Tuesday, November 28th.
- Pat Mullin from BRPC asked to be placed on the November 17, 2017 BOS Agenda to discuss the next round of CDBG funding and to re-submit our Housing Assistance grant that we did not receive last year.
- Submitted ABCC license renewals to Carole H.
- J & J Lock will be here next Wednesday to inspect locks at town facilities.
- Attended a FEMA/MEMA workshop for a new format for MEMA/FEMA declared emergency reporting and reimbursement program.
- Mark will be completing a preliminary damage assessment for MEMA.  Funding will be dependent on State wide damage cost totals but the Berkshire County threshold is relatively low.
- Completed minor edits to the Highway Employee Job Description. Carol motioned to accept the Cheshire Highway Department Employee Job Description; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.
- Researched RFP's from three different communities seeking proposals on town owned school building  re-use. Carol felt this was a good direction to go in an effort to seek more opportunities.

Robert:
- Requested Blair to sit in on this evening’s Executive Session.


Carol:
- After reviewing the estimate received for roof repairs to the Cheshire Fire House, she motioned to approve the sum of $7,500; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.
- A Memorandum will be written to the Cheshire Advisory Board requesting the sum for unanticipated need; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken. Ed will contact DJ Wooliver & Sons, Inc.

Town Resident, Scott Clish:
- While observing the meeting, Mr. Clish voiced his opinion on the need for a safe place for the fire house.  He noted that, "Cheshire is a great place to live and he appreciates all of the volunteers and how they give selflessly of their time for us."

Ed:
- Suggested the tightening up of the Agenda in upcoming weeks.

Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:  No issues or concerns.

Police Chief, Timothy Garner:  Submitted weekly report.

Mail and Correspondence:
- COA meeting minutes for October 18, 2017 by Mal Gwozdz.

Cheshire Advisory Board:  John Tremblay, E. R. Scholz, and Jeremy McClain
- Met with the BOS to review the Memorandum for $7,500 to repair a section of the fire house roof.
- After careful consideration, the area being repaired and the area needed to be repaired for $14,800, the Advisory Board recommended the BOS complete the repairs for the $14,800 amount. 
- Carol rescinded her original motion for the $7,500 and changed it to a motion for unanticipated repairs of the roof of the fire house for $14,800.
- Jeremy said, “Typically there is a five (5) year guarantee on the work and fifteen years on the materials.” Thus the reason for being prudent in their decision.

With all business finalized, Carol motioned to go into Executive Session to:  "To discuss the reputation, character, physical condition or mental health, rather than professional competence, of an individual, or discuss the discipline or dismissal of, or complaints or charges against, a public officer, employee, staff member or individual"; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken. 7:30pm. The BOS will not return to the 6:30PM Open Meeting. Roll Call:  Robert S. Ciskowski, Yes; Carol A. Francesconi, Yes; Ed St. John, IV, Yes.


 
Respectfully Submitted,

Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary

_______________________________________________________________
Robert S. Ciskowski, Chairman
Carol A. Francesconi, Clerk
Ed St. John IV, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds