November 14, 2017
6:30PM
In Attendance: Robert S. Ciskowski, Carol A. Francesconi, and Ed St. John IV
Absent:       
Press: iBerkshires
                  
Carol motioned to accept the minutes as presented for November 7, 2017; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.
- Robert reported on his and E. R. Scholz's (Advisory Board Member) attendance at the first "Community Paradigm Working Group" with Adams representatives under guidance mediator, Bernie Lynch of Community Paradigm Inc.
- Robert felt it was a productive meeting and a forum for both towns to voice their opinions on the past years events that include the process for closing of the Cheshire Elementary School and the general lack of communication.  Robert recommended that all Cheshire Selectmen attend the next meeting on December 5, 2017 at 5pm at the Conference Room at Hoosac High School.  Coming away from the meeting Robert was enthusiastic about working together to eliminate any animosity and to work towards common goals for the betterment of both towns.  He also said the sharing of services between the towns might be an option in the future. 
Cheshire Highway Superintendent, Blair Crane:
- Submitted Weekly Activity Log for 11/8/17 - 11/14/17.
- Updated the BOS on the status of repairs to the Windsor Road wash out.  He discussed the steps taken to place boulders, the pumping of floatable fill in between the rocks to create a massive slab which should change the pitch of the road to prevent similar washouts in the future.  Blair said it was 18 to 19 days from start to finish. 
- Working with NationalGrid regarding LED street lights.
- The BOS recommended one of the highway employees be partially responsible for the school at least through the first winter.  A rhythmic schedule will be designed.  Blair will delegate the assignment.
- Roadside mowing, pot hole patching, removed town docks, tree down on Greylock Road.
- Extended and cleaned out Windsor Road culvert above landslide area.
- Attended StreetScan tutorial session last week.
- Attended Mass Highway Association meeting today, November 14, 2017.
- Pothole repairs on Lanesborough Road, Shadowland Cove, Outlook, and Railroad Street.
Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Complete Streets committee will meet at 1pm on November 21, 2017.
- Mark visited Windsor Road and reported the damage to MEMA.
- Cheshire School oil tank was topped off at 5600 gallons.  The 10 thousand gallon tank will be topped of by the end of the week.  Normal classroom temperatures had used in the past, 28 thousand gallons.
- Blair will schedule a meeting with school personnel to review the general maintenance of the building.
Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Mark called West Oil and was notified that there was no lock in price.  Normally, it is the daily price plus delivery.  As of today, it was $2.14 plus delivery. This amount is subject to weekly change.
- Checking with school personnel regarding Cheshire having an individual perform light duty work at the school.
- IT person cleaned up email accounts in an effort to stop receiving account overage messages and billings.
- Prepared a Town Budget spreadsheet for Fiscal Year 2018.  The BOS have scheduled a Budget Workshop for December 5, 2017. 
- Continuing to work on a basic RFP for the Re-use of Cheshire School Committee.  The draft should be completed by Tuesday, November 21, 2017.
Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:  No issues or concerns.
Police Chief, Timothy Garner:  Submitted weekly report.
- Introduced a possibly new candidate for the Cheshire Police Department. 
Berkshire Regional Planning Commission, Will Sikula:
- Reviewed the process Cheshire followed in last year's grant for a DHCD grant and the changes for the Community Development Strategy (CDS) for FY18.  Will has edited the past grant and Mark will review and submit it to the BOS for approval and re-submittal of the application.  A Public Hearing will take place on February 1st with the deadline for submission being March 2nd. Will asked the BOS to reactivate the original CDS committee for input.  A Memorandum of Understanding will be discussed in December. 
7:15PM
School Re-Use Committee:
Carol reported that the committee is waiting for an RFP from Mark to seek possible options for use that have not been considered to date.  At some point, if a change of use may happen, it is possible that a variance may be needed for a sprinkler system or handicapped accessibility.  She reported that the lift may be repaired as there is a company still operating and they still make them.  This could save several  thousands of dollars for the town.  This project is on hold until a plan is in place.
Mail and Correspondence:
- Email sent to Ed from Eileen Quinn requesting a letter be sent to The Appalachian Trail Conservancy indicating Cheshire wants to partner with the Appalachian Trail Community Advisory Committee for designation as an Appalachian Trail Community.  A letter was created and mailed.
- Letter from Joyce Fletcher seeking assistance in a land dispute.
- Berkshire Regional Planning Commission; "What's Happening in Berkshire Communities" dinner at Mazzeo's, 1015 South Street, Pittsfield on Thursday, November 30, 2017.  Cost is $30.00 and and they will have a Social Hour from 5:30pm-6:30pm with dinner and the presentation from 6:30pm - 8:30pm.Registration required at:  https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fifth-thursday-dinner-tickets-39525261120.
Nelson Aubin of 240 Wells Road and Cindy DiCenzo of 220 Wells Road voiced concerns with a neighbor's  digging of a trench/pit and the placement of a pipe which has caused diversion of land which causes silt to be on the Aubin property.  Carol and Blair will visit the site.  The BOS suggested hiring a lawyer to resolve the issue or to notify the Department of Environmental Protection.
 
With all business finalized at 8:00PM, Carol motioned to close the meeting; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.

Respectfully Submitted,
Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary
_______________________________________________________________
Robert S. Ciskowski, Chairman
Carol A. Francesconi, Clerk
Ed St. John IV, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds