Janaury 9, 2018
In Attendance: Robert S. Ciskowski, Carol A. Francesconi, and Ed St. John IV
Carol motioned to accept the minutes as presented for January 2, 2018; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.
- Thanked iberkshires.com Reporter, Jack Guerino, for the coverage of the Hoosac Valley School heating issue and the early school dismissal notification.
Cheshire Highway Superintendent, Blair Crane: Absent
Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Reported another boiler leak at the Cheshire Elementary School building. Mark and the BOS recommended the need to hire an employee for checking the school on a daily basis. Carol agreed with the hiring as the building has been without a designated individual for too long. Although the highway department covered for summer maintenance, there needs to be one person responsible for the site.
Mark suggested either hiring a new person or configuring a highway employee for the position. Since the highway department is unionized he did not know how that could be worked out. Further discussion is needed.
- Mark reported that the town of New Marlborough wanted to join the Cheshire Housing Rehabilitation grant. The concept is it would make the Cheshire grant stronger for competition. Mark felt the state looks favorably upon regionalization applications. The grant would increase from $800K to $1 million if fully awarded. The Town of Cheshire would receive $800K and New Marlborough $200K. The board approved going forward.
- Mark submitted Blair’s Weekly Activity Log for 1/3/18-1/9/18 which included:
* Prepared for storm conditions.
* Clean up road from Monday storm.
* Clean and repair equipment
* Addressed the roads needs for three snow events over the past week.
- Updated the BOS on his meeting with the Advisory Board. Items discussed included: updating computers, website improvement, the possible hiring of a grant writer, and the future of the school.
- Mark submitted the revised RFEI to BOS members. Discussion, after the BOS review the document, will take place on Tuesday, January 16, 2018.
- A Complete Streets meeting will take place on February 6, 2018. The committee will report to the BOS after the February 6th meeting.
-Mark advised the BOS that Blair has placed sand at the town facility for residents to use.
- Read an Internal Revenue Service announcement that stated: “Beginning on January 1, 2018, the standard mileage rates for the use of a car, van, pickups or panel trucks will be 54.5 cents for every mile of business travel driven. Carol motioned to approve the 54.5 cent mileage rate as of January 1, 2018; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.
- The cleaning of sidewalks will be discussed next week.
- Motioned to have an Executive Session meeting on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at the end of the open meeting: “To discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining or litigation if an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the bargaining or litigating position of the public body and the chair so declares”; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.
One Day Liquor License issued to the Cheshire Rod and Gun Club; $50.00 paid.
Town Clerk, Christine Emerson: No issues or concerns.
Police Chief, Timothy Garner: Submitted weekly report.
Chief Garner will be posting on the Cheshire Police website and the Town of Cheshire website a warning about the danger of residents plowing snow into the roads.
Mail and Correspondence:
With all business finalized at 7:40PM, Carol motioned to close the meeting; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.
Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary
Robert S. Ciskowski, Chairman
Carol A. Francesconi, Clerk
Ed St. John IV, Superintendent of Buildings and Groundsv