February 27, 2018
In Attendance: Robert S. Ciskowski, Carol A. Francesconi, and Ed St. John IV
Carol motioned to accept the minutes as presented for February 20, 2018; 2nd by Robert with a unanimous vote taken.
Cheshire Highway Superintendent, Blair Crane:
- Submitted Weekly Activity Report for: 2/21/18-2/27/18.
- Patching potholes and grading roads. (Richmond Hill, Sand Mill Hill, Jenks Road.)
- Snow/ice conditions 2/21/18.
- Repaired major hole on Outlook Avenue.
- Repair and maintain snow removal equipment.
- Repaired "E" on Cheshire Elementary School.
- Salt delivered to Town Hall.
- Possible grader rental in March.
One Day liquor licenses issued (2) to the Cheshire Rod and Gun Club for 3/16/18 and 3/24/18.
Robert read Legal Notice: Request for Expressions of Interest (REFI)-Cheshire Elementary School.
"The Town of Cheshire Board of Selectmen seeks formal expressions of interest for the reuse and or redevelopment of the former Cheshire Elementary School, 191 School Street, Cheshire, MA 01225. Proposals are due no later than 3:00PM on February 27, 2018 and shall be addressed to the Cheshire Board of Selectmen, 80 Church Street, Cheshire, MA 01225. REFI proposal document is available at the Cheshire Town Clerk's office, 80 Church Street, Cheshire, MA during normal business hours and at the Town of Cheshire website: www.cheshire-ma.gov Signed: Robert Ciskowski, Chair"
Carol closed the proposals on 2/27/18 at 7pm; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.
Two proposals were received and Carol motioned to have the proposals under advisement until after March 8, 2018 when the Reuse Committee meets; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.
Cheshire Planning Board, Donna DeFino:
- Updated the BOS on the Marijuana Establishment Law noting that "it mirrors what Mass General Law already has in place" and which Christopher Gruber of BRPC has assisted with in meeting the needs of Cheshire. The Bylaw is available at the Town Clerk's office and on the Cheshire website. A Hearing will take place on Monday, March 19, 2018 at 7pm at the Cheshire Town Hall-Second Floor. The bylaw allows for one (1) retail operation and one other use. Cultivation of the product can be in an agricultural specifically with a minimum of five acres. The retail operation would be only on Route 8 where existing businesses exist. Robert motioned to accept the bylaw; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken.
Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- April 3, 2018 at 6pm there will be an Advisory Board Budget meeting.
- An aerial life was dropped off today for Wooliver to inspect the roof.
- Worked on the FY 2019 budget items, and would like to review with the BOS on 3/6/18.
- Salaries. Different departments are submitting their budgets and Mark noticed that the rate of increases went from 2% to 5%. Mark recommended the BOS adopt a percentage increase and apply it across the board.
- In talks with Gerry Garner regarding software - E Permitting. The initial cost could be $5K and yearly maintenance is approximately $1,200.
- A full draft proposal was received today from the Highway Union representative. Mark submitted copies for the BOS to review during the week and suggested an Executive Session on 3/6/18. Carol motioned to schedule an Executive Session for March 6, 2018 at the end of the regular 6:30 PM meeting; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken. Robert S. Ciskowski, Yes; Carol A. Francesconi, and Ed St. John IV, Yes. "To discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining or litigation if an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the bargaining or litigating position of the public body and the chair so declares." Robert: Requested Mark to research and prepare a spreadsheet indicating the financial savings due to reducing insurance on two members of the cemetery committee.
- A Letter of Interest was received for the position of Cemetery Chairman.
- Robert signed the Block Grant 2018 CDBG Grant Total Request: $998,000.
Town Clerk, Christine Emerson: No issues or concerns.
Police Chief, Timothy Garner: Report submitted.
Town Facilities Request Form received for the Adams-Cheshire Little League, TBall and Minor League use of the Cheshire School Field, Little League Field, School Street, and field by church parking lot. Ed motioned to allow the teams the use of school fields; 2nd by Carol with a unanimous vote taken.
- Carol noted that Darlene Rodowicz will not be running for reelection on the Adams Cheshire Regional School District School Committee.
Robert: Will be attending a Superintendent Search Committee meeting on Tuesday, March 6, 2018 from 5:00PM to 6:30PM at the Cheshire Elementary School.
Mail and Correspondence:
With all business finalized at 8:00PM, Carol motioned to adjourn; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.
Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary
Robert S. Ciskowski, Chairman
Carol A. Francesconi, Clerk
Ed St. John IV, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds