May 22, 2018
6:30PM
In Attendance: Robert S. Ciskowski, Carol A. Francesconi, and Ed St. John IV
Absent:       
Press: The Berkshire Eagle
                  
Carol motioned to have the minutes for May 15, 2018 approved; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.
 
Town Highway Superintendent, Blair Crane:
- Submitted Weekly Activity Log for 5/16/18-5/22/18.
- Potholes filled on Outlook Avenue, Fred Mason Road and Outlook Avenue.
- Road grading to continue on Stafford, Sand Mill Hill, Windsor and Richmond Hill.
- Mowed at the elementary school.
- Road Report completed.
- Two burials completed.
 
Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- A negotiating session was held with two (2) highway employees and Nadine Kennedy, the Union representative.  Copies were presented to the BOS and Highway Superintendent, Blair Crane.  Mark requested an Executive Session for Tuesday, May 29, 2018. The next meeting with Nadine will take place on June 12, 2018 at 9am.
- Cheshire Lake weed treatment is scheduled for: Wednesday, May 23, 2018.
- A resident approached Becky and ask if the Town would be interested in accepting a donation of approximately one (1) acre of land along Windsor Road.  This donation would require a town meeting article and a two-thirds approval.
- Becky recommended that we have a town meeting article to establish and begin funding the Town’s OPEB liability. A nominal appropriation is @2,000 to get started.
- Two walk-ins requesting information about the procedure for securing a permit/license for marijuana retail or cultivation.
- IT person has addressed the Town email accounts and has made the changes necessary to increase capacity ad get rid of overage charges in the future.
- Spoke with Travis and Blair following a conversation with the Water Commissioners last week about apparent water loss at the Cheshire School.  Travis and Jason will be conducting a comprehensive survey of fixtures and water use at the school tomorrow.
- Spoke with Gary Trudeau who was seeking to resolve an apparent issue with two (2) people being appointed on the Greylock Advisory Board.  Mark will follow up with Becky Barnes tomorrow.
- A form was completed for Mark to represent the Town of Cheshire on the BRTA Advisory Board.
Carol motioned to hold an Executive Session on Tuesday, May 29, 2018 after the Open Meeting closes;
2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.  “To conduct strategy sessions in preparation for negotiations with non-union personnel or to conduct collective bargaining sessions or contract negotiations with non-union personnel.” 
Carol:
Visited the Lakeview site of homeowner, Tara Harrington.  The cost for reclamation would be prohibitive and Carol stated there wasn’t much the town could do.  To place a swale in the back would cost a few thousand dollars but the problem would continue.  The pipe above the water level is clean and a delta has been created.  It is shallow and in twenty years it won’t be a harbor.  It has to be cleaned every year.
Resident, Peter Traub:
- Voiced that several landowners are willing to put some money into the project.
Carol: The Town could place a swale and clean the pipe.  However, Blair said it is a tight spot and where do you go with sediment?
Ed: Ed will stop by and take a look at it this week.
Carol:
- Reported that the Cheshire Historical Commission would like to obtain a cost estimate to repair the horse trough.  They asked Greg Farmer for a cost estimate to repair the Stafford Hill Monument.  Unfortunately, he reported back that it is beyond his scope of expertise. The CHC will get back to the BOS when additional information is secured.
Carol:
- Happily reported that arrangements have been made to have a fly-over during the Memorial Day Parade.  All arrangements have been secured.
Robert:
- Expressed confidence in the Advisory Board budget proceedings this evening.
 
Cheshire Board of Health, Rick Salvi and Mike Biagini:
- Notified the BOS that they need coverage at the transfer station on Saturday, May 26, 2018.  Robert offered to be in charge starting at 8am.
Business Owner, Michael Deep:
- Discussed an emergency situation at Kitchen Brook Dam.  Carol will discuss the issue with the other members of the Cheshire Conservation Commission on Friday, May 25, 2018 at which time an Emergency Order may be issued.
 
Police Chief, Tim Garner:  Submitted weekly report.
 
Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:  No issues or concerns.
 
Mail and Correspondence:
- Card received from Thomas and Barbara Bessette regarding the addressing of road conditions on Stewart White Road.
With all business finalized, Carol motioned to adjourn at 8:20PM; 2nd by Ed with a unanimous vote taken.

Respectfully Submitted,
Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary
_______________________________________________________________
Robert S. Ciskowski, Chairman
Carol A. Francesconi, Clerk
Ed St. John IV, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds