July 10, 2018
6:30PM
In Attendance: Carol A. Francesconi, and Ed St. John IV
Absent: Robert S. Ciskowski    
Press: iBerkshires
 
6:30PM
Carol opens the regular portion of the meeting. Carol makes a motion to accept the Board’s July 3, 2018 meeting minutes. Ed seconds the motion.
The BOS voted unanimously to appoint Jason Turner as a Cheshire Fence Viewer.
COA, Peter Traub:
- Discussed further a solution for the employee COA salary overage.  Mark will call the Town of Lanesborough to discuss the matter on July 11, 2018.
Highway Superintendent, Blair Crane: 
- Continuing to patch roads.
- Reported an accident on Outlook and West Mountain Road when a 1985 Firebird hit a roller.  An adjuster will be viewing the roller damage (three (3) years old). Once a determination is rendered a decision will go forward as to purchasing or repairing. Blair has rented a roller for a month in order to continue working.
- Patching Shadowland Cove and Windsor side of Stafford Hill.
- Checking on the costs of cleaning catch basins.
- Noted that crosswalks have to be painted.
- Carol inquired as to the lack of lines on Wells road.  Blair said once cracks are repaired it will be painted. This will most likely happen in August or Fall.
- Carol questioned the status of Shadowland Cover road drainage issues.  Blair felt the cost would be around $10-12K . Carol would like to, "Get it done".
Carol:
- Reported a sanitation issue at the elementary school and the abuse of hikers using the perimeter of the school as a bathroom.  Blair will check out the costs for renting a portable toilet and have it placed by the shed as soon as possible.
Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Spoke with Tim Eagles, principal of EDM architects/engineers regarding the Cheshire School and the process of addressing a conversion of the property to a municipal use.  Mark will be working with Mr. Eagles as the project progresses for the possible use of town offices occupying the space.
- Top priority is to research and write a proposal for bids for a repair/replacement of the heating system at the former school.
- Registration/insurance package sent to MIIA for the new highway pick-up truck.
- Spoke with Ryan Bailey of Borrego Solar/Ayotte solar project regarding the arrangement of a PILOT agreement.  The going rate is $11,000/mW/annually with a 2.5% annual accelerator for 20 years.  This is a 2.1 mW project.  Borrego will be meeting with the CPB in July.  It will require a town vote.
- Requested Blair to review current fleet and equipment schedule for accuracy for our insurance company.  Submitted to Blair Chapter 90 updated figures.
- Elevator inspection scheduled for July 16th at 11:00AM.
- Left a message with Eammon of BRPC.  The BOS would like to further discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the Smart Streets Grant and why Cheshire was not awarded.
Board of Health: Rick Salvi, Jeff Warner, and Mike Biagini
- Due to the discontent of residents regarding the hour reduction at the Cheshire Transfer Station, the BOS invited the BOH to explain their justification for the change.  The concept was to open Wednesday, Friday and Saturday with fewer hours as the cost to hauling continues to rise each year.
- Carol noted that it was unfortunate that the change started on a week with a Wednesday holiday which inconvenienced residents to wait with their trash in extreme hot weather.  Additionally, Carol reported that a BoH member was seen using the transfer station on a Monday.  Member, Mike Biagin admitted to disposing of some metal and would end the practice in the future.
Ed:
- Will check into utilizing court community service programs for various projects at the community center.
- Discussion ensued with Peter Traub regarding the need for a municipal agreement with the Town of Adams regarding the usage of a car for out of town driving accommodations for scheduled hospital or doctor visits. 
Town Clerk, Christine Emerson:  No issues or concerns.
Chief of Police, Timothy Garner: 
Resident, Corey Warner:
- Mr. Warner described an unsettling incident at the Transfer Station regarding his not have the Transfer Station sticker showing on his vehicle.  When resident's purchased new stickers and bags, the BoH also included a pamphlet explaining the hour changes and regulations for utilizing the station.
- Mr. Warner felt he should be able to show the sticker that he keeps in his glove compartment in his vehicle and that should suffice the requirement. He voiced displeasure in the treatment of the issue.  The BOS will address the employee on the matter.
Completed the Delegate FY 2019 Town of Cheshire BRPC form appointing Mark Webber as the Delegate.
Mail and Correspondence:
 
7:40PM With no additional business to come before the Board, Carol made a motion to adjourn the meeting.  Ed seconds the motion.  A unanimous vote was taken.
 
Respectfully Submitted,
Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary
_______________________________________________________________
Robert S. Ciskowski, Chairman
Carol A. Francesconi, Clerk
Ed St. John IV, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds