July 31, 2018
6:00PM Open Meeting
In Attendance: Robert S. Ciskowski, Carol A. Francesconi, and Ed St. John IV
Press: The Berkshire Eagle and iBerkshires
Board conducts the business session of the meeting by reviewing and approving weekly payroll and vendor warrants.
Carol opens the regular portion of the meeting.
Carol makes a motion to accept the Board’s July 24, 2018 meeting minutes as corrected. Robert seconds the motion.
Highway Superintendent, Blair Crane: On vacation
Weekly Activity Log submitted for 7/25/18-7/31/18.
- For the week 35% of hours were spent on vacation, sick, and other time off.
- Continuing to mow grounds and or roadsides.
- Installed Appalachian Trail sign @ Furnace Road.
- Painted guard rail on Sand Mill Bridge.
- Curran Road repair.
- Check roads and catch basins- heavy rain due.
- Brough Road graded Monday July 30, 2018.
- Truck #4 at Delurey’s. Transmission issue was a faulty wiring causing a malfunction.
- Truck #2 (Ford) getting DEF tank replaced. Needs inspection. Rusted through.
- Community Center's dishwasher repair is in progress.
Resident, Kurt Haswell:
- Requested the town cut high grass on Dublin Road and Wells Road. The BOS will discuss his concerns with Blair on 8-7-18.
The Berkshire Boys meeting regarding a Host Agreement cancelled and they requested to meet on Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 7pm. Meeting confirmed.
- Read a letter from Ray Fisher, Chairman of the Hoosac Lake Recreation/Preservation District regarding the treatment for weed growth on Tuesday, July 31, 2018.
Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Completed a credit application for Water Department for FW Webb plumbing supplies. Travis needs to purchase a booster pump to replace one that hasn't been working along Route 8.
- State Representative, John Barrett III, acknowledged receipt of documents related to the 3 to 5 Selectmen' s change. A package will be mailed to him on Friday and he will start the process along with Senator Adam Hinds as the Bill's co sponsor.
- Dropped off a copy of the current lease agreement for Cheshire School space. The lease runs out at the end of August.
- Certificates of insurance arrived for the COA van and BRTA.
- Driveway Permit for Nick Mirke at Lot C-Windsor Road, Cheshire was approved as it already existed.
- Reviewed all town email addresses in the system. The Police Chief will be reporting back as to changes he would like to make. The Cheshire Cemetery Department already has an email account set up.
- Cheshire was awarded the DHCD grant for the housing rehabilitation assistance program. We are awaiting the official contract from the State which includes a conditions document. The effective start date of the grant is July 1, 2018 and ends 18 months later. DHCD does grant extensions in the event that more time is needed to get projects finished. Interested parties can contact Patricia Mullins at Berkshire Regional Planning Commission at: 413-442-1521.
- Discussed with Blair and the National Grid Company and an issue about utility poles to be installed along Jenks Road. As Tree Warden, he was notified by NGrid that a tree across from the Hitters needs to come down. Blair indicates that it is within the Town's right of way. However, the abutters prefer that the tree not be removed. He suggests scheduling a Shade Tree Hearing (GL Ch 87) to avoid problems. Mark is compiling a file with the hearing process along with deed and property card information.
- Blair informed Mark that the highway department roller was covered for full replacement value. Will be getting the original Bill of Sale from Becky.
- Created a spreadsheet of FY 18 Carry Forward requests for review and provided a copy to Lynn.
- Submitted a statement to the BOS regarding repairs to the Town Hall elevator. A quote of $635 was received and discussed by the BOS as to what the actual repairs to be performed by the company.
- BOS signed Primary paperwork for September.
Chief of Police, Timothy Garner: Report submitted.
Issued eight (8) one (1) day liquor licenses to the Cheshire Rod and Gun Club. $400.
Mail and Correspondence:
- Two (2) DCR Forest Cutting Plans for Farnams Goodlife Corporation. (Start: 5-4-18 and 6-29-18) File Number: 058-9433-18.
- Equalized Valuation (EQV) proposal. Online: https://dlsgateway.dor.state.ma.us/gateway/DLSPublic/LA19.
- Congratulations on FY18 CDBG Award from BRPC for housing rehabilitation. Amount is approximately $998K and is to be shared with New Marlboro. Cheshire will receive approximately $600K and New Marlboro, $200K. The balance is for administration and project delivery by BRPC.
- Questioned if the Cheshire Boat Parade was well attended. Those present commented that it was a great success with attendance and planned family activities.
7:15PM With no additional business to come before the Board, Carol made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Ed seconds the motion. A unanimous vote was taken.
Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary
Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk
Ed St. John IV, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds