December 11, 2018
6:00PM Open Meeting
In Attendance: Robert S. Ciskowski, Carol A. Francesconi
Board conducts the business session of the meeting by reviewing and approving weekly payroll and vendor warrants.
6:30PM Carol opens the regular portion of the meeting. Carol read the minutes and made a motion to accept the Board’s December 4, 2018 meeting minutes. Robert seconds the motion. A unanimous vote was taken.
Highway Superintendent, Blair Crane:
- Checking roads for drainage and working on maintenance issues.
- Salt shed is filled to capacity.
- Truck #4 is repaired with the transmission software working as designed.
- Meeting with Nation Grid regarding safety measures for the area as the cost to either raise or move the lines is prohibitive.
- Attended boiler inspections at the school and the fire house. Both inspections are good for two (2) years.
- Enclosed water main at the school to resist freezing.
- 5800 gallons of fuel in school tank as of 8am this morning.
- Continuing to work the Department of Labor Standards and the consultant for coming into safety compliance with past inspection. The deadline is December 21, 2018.
- Winter sand is available to residents at the Cheshire Town Garage.
- Discussed the best approach for purchasing a grader. Robert appreciated Blair's ability to stay flexible in searching for possibly a used grader. All wheel drive would be Blair's recommendation. The rented equipment was 12 feet and the Town's old one was 12 feet. Robert would want, "The best bank for our buck!" This size would be no problem for the camp roads.
- Plowing contractors are working out well.
- The leak in the garage roof has subsided.
Residents, Paul Astorino and Aaron Singer of Meadowview Drive;
- Reported to the BOS issues with the high levels of water by the river and backyards due to beavers.
- It is affecting wells, sewer systems and the Cheshire and Adams well systems.
- Mark will contact the DCR and noted that the BoH have Beaver relocation permits.
Town Administrator, Mark Webber:
- Working with BRPC regarding signage and applications for the Massachusetts Community Development Block Grant Program (Mass. CDBG) grant- Housing Rehabilitation. (CDBG CDF-G-2018-Cheshire 00823.)
- Will be checking with Bay State Elevator regarding a statement received is for the school building.
- Majority of the day was spent accumulating the new Town Administrator, Ed St. John IV.
Cheshire Planning Board, Donna Defino, Chairman:
- Updated the BOS on the status of two court cases. Both have been dismissed.
- Carol updated Donna regarding the Cheshire Conservation and the Ayotte solar project. She reported a decrease in the footprint going from twenty acres to seventeen acres. Therefore, the original plans the CPB approved are now not the original plans. Donna plans on sitting in on the hearing for this project on Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at the Town Hall at 5pm.
Resident, Fred Jayko:
- Questioned what could be done to the empty building on the corner of West Mountain Road and Route 8. Carol responded that taxes were being paid. Only the BoH can condemn a building and that means you get to secure it with plywood.
Carol motioned to go into Executive Session; 2nd by Robert. A unanimous vote was taken. "To conduct strategy sessions in preparation for negotiations with non-union personnel or to conduct collective bargaining sessions or contract negotiations with non-union personnel."
Roll Call: Carol A. Francesconi, Yes; Robert S. Ciskowski, Yes.
8:35PM The 6pm Open Meeting continued.
Roll Call:Carol A. Francesconi, Yes; Robert S. Ciskowski, Yes.
Cheshire Police Chief, Tim Garner
- Weekly report submitted.
- No issues or concerns.
Mail and Correspondence:
- Employee holiday get together. After the 6PM Open Meeting on 12/18/18.
Selectmen signed licenses for 2019 liquor, automobile, and Common Vitualler businesses.
With all business finalized, Carol motioned to adjourn the meeting at 8:40pm; seconded by Robert.
A unanimous vote was taken.
Carole A. Hilderbrand, Board of Selectmen’s Secretary
Carol A. Francesconi, Chairman
Robert S. Ciskowski, Clerk